Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Xenosaga II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Normal encounters are really painful while the bosses being not that much of a challenge when you learn how to handle them.

I agree with this statement completely. I think that if I were to treat random encounters the same way I treat boss battles they wouldn't be too bad. However if I were to do that, I would have to recover the majority of my EP after each battle which would then take seven to ten minuetes to complete. Perhaps I am going about the battles in the wrong manner though. Shrew do you have any more tips? If so they would be much appreciated.

As far as the upgrade system goes, I feel that the upgrade systems go well with the battle systems from the respective games. The upgrade system was really nice in Xenosaga 1, but I doubt it would work well in two. I honostly prefer the upgrade system in episode 2 better, but there is no way it would work at all in one.

I have torn feelings on the new graphic style. I like how chaos and Jr. look now. However I dislike the new appearence of MOMO. I don't really have any strong feelings towards either Shion or KOS-MOS.

I personally never really notice music so I have no stance on this.

On a final note what do you all think of chaos in this game? I feel that they greatly downgraded his usefulness in this game. He has rather low HP(at least in comparrison with the rest of my battle party) and is the one who always needs to be healed. To top it off he barely does any damage and can't hit enemies knocked into the air. He does seem to be the best ether user in my battle party, but he spends more time healing himself than helping out the rest of the party. So has anyone found him useful at all?
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The first thing to remember is that characters recover HP and EP outside of battle. If everyone has Medica (and they really should) this amounts to an easy way to recover your party after each battle. Heal, then the EP used will be recovered after the next battle, heal again, repeat. This is also useful with your spellcasters. I personally don't use ethers much besides healing, but this lets you switch between characters like MOMO and Shion while recovering their EP. And don't forget that you can switch out characters during battle. Even at the cost of a turn, it can still be very much worth it.

I always use either Shion or MOMO in my party. They're fast, make excellent healers, and have ether attacks as their basic attack. This makes them very useful against many enemies. Shion also has the thunder attribute to her attack, which demolishes a lot of robot enemies. The trick in many cases is figuring out what enemies are weak against. Ziggy can demolish fire weak enemies, and chaos does the same with those weak against aura attacks. I don't use Ziggy much, but chaos's down attacks can be incredibly handy. His major weakness is, as said, his inablity to attack air opponents. But he does have decent Ether attack and EP that can be used in this case. And like I said before, you can always just switch him out.

Jr. is a really versatile character in this game. The fact that we has great attacks against both air enemies and downed enemies is invaluable. Thus he makes a good pairing with anyone, whereas KOS-MOS and chaos/Ziggy doesn't work as well because if KOS-MOS boosts the other in after doing an air attack, they won't be able to do anything.

And breaking is absolutely critical. The greatest thing about breaking isn't so much the opening of the attack, but it's that chance of getting an extra stock attack. I'll often keep breaking one enemy with my characters while building stock up for them, then let lose in some nasty combos against the rest of the enemies to end the battle quickly. The only problem with this is that there is chance involved, but often you'll gain at least one stock, which is usually all you need to down/air an enemy, then boost another character in to do some nice damage. Plus there are skills that increase the bonus chance.

I hope that helps some.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well some of that I knew such as them recovering HP and EP outside of battle(25% I believe). However upon reading your post I have a question for you. Do you always switch your characters around so that they all get skill points and a chance to fight or do you stick with a certain team regardless of if they are the best for the situation or not? I have personally been sticking with one team so that I would not have to worry about keeping seven characters around the same point skill wise. If you are constantly changing your party around that ould explain why I am having such difficulty.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Once again it seems like I'm the only one that liked this game just as much as the first if not better. I liked this game mainly because it seemed to fix every problem I had with the first, just like how I loved Suikoden IV because it fixed lots of stuff I hated about III.

Three of the main problems I had with the first game was that
1. as I said earlier by the second half of the game the only way to attack is by using a limited number of the same animated moves that had already been used to death(for example that whatever buster attack from Kos-mos was awsome the first 20 times I saw it, but I had to watch it a million times more because it was one of the most effective all target attacks without spending EP that can be used in one turn), say what you want about the battle system but one thing no one can deny is that as the player you have way more freedom using it.
2. the first game gave way to much information that were not explained and by the end I was too beaten to care, in the second game almost every thing except for the ending was explained in one way or another.
3. I'm sure this is not a problem to anyone that finished the first game in 30 hours, but the second half of the first game was just a drag for me since I took 80 hours and yet it seemed the second game ended much better than the first as a story.

I was able to finish the game in time last night and recorded all the clips that I can find within a hour of my saves, I have a count of 48 and they tell the story pretty well on their own. I know for a fact I missed the scene with the Elsa being rescued by the Durandal cause I saved just before the boss fight & the timed event meaning it would have taken me way to much time to get to that scene(wanted to get the tonny and hammer dance but oh well), would it be okay if I posted the list of names I gave each clip and have you guys point out if I missed any major scenes?
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have not played the game yet as I only bought it today and only finished the first game about an hour ago give or take a few minutes. The first game was good from a story perspective and it did kind of drag on for awhile at the end when it came to gameplay. Yeah I hope some of the battle details were ironed out and less repetitive in the second game as the it got kind of annoying I dunno anyways yeah I shall be going now.

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Filipe wrote:
I have not played the game yet as I only bought it today and only finished the first game about an hour ago give or take a few minutes. The first game was good from a story perspective and it did kind of drag on for awhile at the end when it came to gameplay. Yeah I hope some of the battle details were ironed out and less repetitive in the second game as the it got kind of annoying I dunno anyways yeah I shall be going now.

Battles are slightly more repetitive in the second, you never get new attacks and there's no equipment, plus everyone uses the same skills.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

1. as I said earlier by the second half of the game the only way to attack is by using a limited number of the same animated moves that had already been used to death(for example that whatever buster attack from Kos-mos was awsome the first 20 times I saw it, but I had to watch it a million times more because it was one of the most effective all target attacks without spending EP that can be used in one turn), say what you want about the battle system but one thing no one can deny is that as the player you have way more freedom using it.
2. the first game gave way to much information that were not explained and by the end I was too beaten to care, in the second game almost every thing except for the ending was explained in one way or another.
3. I'm sure this is not a problem to anyone that finished the first game in 30 hours, but the second half of the first game was just a drag for me since I took 80 hours and yet it seemed the second game ended much better than the first as a story.

Well I might as well give some responses to this post since I have some spare time so here I go.

In response to your first point, with the move you are refrencing, X-Buster if I'm not mistaken, you could cancel the fmv animation. This greatly shortens the time on that specific move. As for other moves they never really seemed that long to me, so they never bothered.

I'm not really sure about what kind of info you are talking about in the first game. The majority of it was explained, and that which wasn't has still mostly remained unexplained in the second one(for example why hasn't Shion turned into a gnosis yet or what exactly are chaos or Nephilim). Also there are several things introduced in two that were only touched upon. An example would be the thing that happens regarding Nigredo and Yuiev9I won't go into any more details to avoid spoilers).

The second half of the game taking that long could really make you enjoy it less. Out of curiosity, how did it take you that long anyway? Moving on the ending of the second one might be bit nicer; however the ending of the first one not being completely clean was what gave the second game a clean opening. In fact I'm afraid that the third game might end up having a contrived beginning because of how nicely the second game wrapped events up.

Quote:
Battles are slightly more repetitive in the second, you never get new attacks and there's no equipment, plus everyone uses the same skills.

Well you do get new double techs however I don't really like any of them except Dancing Rondo(I think that's its name) and I don't feel they are worth useing. As a side not some of the double techs are funny if both characters are wearing their swimsuits.
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

By the way, the website posted earlier has the voice actors for the game completely wrong. After watching the ending again it seems other then Jr, Allen, Margulis and Ziggurat everyone with a major speaking part is new. I am having a hard time figuring out what those names are cause the recording is kind of blurry but based on what I can see I think this is the girl who did the voice for Shion according to the ending of the game: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0352374/
chaos is done by a guy name Jack Seth or something like that, Jin was played by Michael Cough or Gough, and it's cool that Sakara's voice is done by Tara Strong who was awsome as Rikku in FFX and FFX-2.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tara Strong also was in the Powerpuff Girls, as Bubbles, if i'm right. He has a wide range, and is a great voice actress.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rincewind

Architect of the Pass - Phoenix Regiment

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone have any advice for learning duel techniques? I boost random characters, and find that nothing really gets learned.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can't naturally learn the double techs. You get most of them after doing certain GS campaign missions. There are few that you learn from using certain items, which must be stolen from some bosses. Then you'll be able to use them in battle. Personally I don't find them all that useful, but I'm sure they're handy for others.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I must agree with Shrew that double techs aren't that useful. I like the concept of them. However they themselves aren't that useful. It takes too long to use for the small amount of extra damage that you get from them. Also I didn't think that they looked that good. The only one that I liked was the Dancing Rondo simply because I wish I could do that. A much better alternative to double techs are elemental chains. They can deal a lot more damage than double techs ever could for abou the same amount of work. Especially post-game if you finish it off with the Erde Kaiser. I have gotten over 50k witht that before. :D

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Kane of the Black Sea

Pilage and Plunder

77740 Potch
208 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have the game its pretty cool. It takes some getting use too because Momo Shion(especially) and Kos-Mos all look different. Shion is hardly recognizable in comparison. Xenosaga II has new voices for several characters, which is wierd to change main characters voices, but Shion Momo and Kos-Mos all have different voice and a few other important NPCs. I am on the second disc after about 10 hours and it defenetly has shorter cut scenes.

You barely carry over anything from the first game(lvl x some number towards skill points) Bad news too anyone, myself included, who bothered getting that expensive A.G.W.S. unit, 'cause its gone. Overall its good Battles and Cutscenes are descent. Oh and I have gotter money but there hasen't been a use for it yet.
And last but not least in oreder to unlock most the good skill u have too do a all kinds of helping people doing problem solving stuff for them.

Nameless Lands : Chikei - Avenging Star
Sig art by ardPSiko

All I want out of Life it to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: