Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Shadow Hearts 2/Covenant
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love this game. Anastasia is, quite possibly, the best character ever. :D She never left my party once she joined.

I must admit, I fear for her safety if they ever make a third one. Because...Well...Anastasia.

Apparently the game sold way more less than Midway was expecting it to, which makes me a happy sad little fanboy. :cry:

Also? The ending in this game? So. Awesome.

I got both endings, but liked the good one more. The bad one came outta left field for me. Unlike the first one where you had to jump through hoops for the good ending. Hopefully they'll follow the good ending in any future games.

Edit for much sadness

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy

Last edited by Blackjack on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:12 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/594/594621p1.html
Seems pretty certain a game has already been in production... great job following up, less than a year and a half since the last release.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay. See...That makes my little fanboyish heart go "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

>_>

<_<

Erm...I mean...

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Maybe no one noticed....

YES. YES IT CAN.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's OK Blackjack, I didn't hear you....

...Mostly because my own heart? Whirling and squeeing with the chorus of a thousand fanboys. In French. LE SQUEE.

I really wish the director's cut wasn't Japan-only, though. >_< New stuff! New stuff I will not get to see! ;_;

stilll....SQUEE. This is the best news I've gotten all week. (Granted, it's been a bad week, but STILL.)

jjrrs wrote:
Damn I was under the impression this game was gona be kind of a collector's item with it being a very good game and not really mass produced, but now a $20 price drop... too bad, there goes another could be rare PS2 game gone to waste. By the way, Flare is so the same person that did Karin it's not even funny, it became kind of distracting at points when I am playing IV as I completely ignored what Flare was saying by focusing on the sound of her voice.

Wait until you realize that Elenor is Rita Repulsa from Power Rangers. That filled me with mirth and joy for ....pretty much any time Eleanor was on screen.

(She's also Laharl if PR was a little before/after your time...Which might even be MORE amusing.)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Wait until you realize that Elenor is Rita Repulsa from Power Rangers. That filled me with mirth and joy for ....pretty much any time Eleanor was on screen.

(She's also Laharl if PR was a little before/after your time...Which might even be MORE amusing.)

Barbara Goodson has incredible range.

Although I suppose Elenor's scratchy voice may have come naturally after Laharl and Rita Repulsa. :D

Sophita wrote:
It's OK Blackjack, I didn't hear you....

...Mostly because my own heart? Whirling and squeeing with the chorus of a thousand fanboys. In French. LE SQUEE.

I really wish the director's cut wasn't Japan-only, though. >_< New stuff! New stuff I will not get to see! ;_;

stilll....SQUEE. This is the best news I've gotten all week. (Granted, it's been a bad week, but STILL.)

Yeah. It's pretty super awesome. A DC here though, while a wonderful idea that I am all for, is so not practical as to be hilarious.

SH:C, I just found out, sold less than the original. It sold less than the original that came out one week before Final Fantasy X. That fills me with great sadness.

But! Focusing on the happy.

According to what little information I could find, the game centeres around a 16 year old Dectective named Jonny who has lost his memories. The main woman is named (I think) Shanai and "has the power of Spirit" whatever that means.

AND! It is apparently hitting Japan Summer of 2005.

*Hopes and prays for an English release*

YES. YES IT CAN.

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elenor is Laharl? oh crap I can see that now, she just slowed down and lowered the pitch a bit for Elenor. Damn I wish you didn't tell me that, I was gona replay Disgaea but now I can't.

I don't want to get torched since everyone here seems to love this game but as much as I liked it, I thought the story bounced around a bit much which was not as good as the first one; I still have to do the same dumb stick to the walls and find the one item per room, plus the fact that the rooms have very dead backgrounds viewed from one angle with a block of a chair or a table was way too old. Also the game itself should help untilize all the characters either allow switching during battles or through more in game situations. I really hope those things would be made better in the next game and they should plan well on who the returning characters will be, since one of the main reason why I bought the second game should not be in the third.

By the way, where are you getting the game sales numbers?
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sales numbers are gotten from someone that works for Midway that posts on the SH:C board on GameFAQs.

A bit more info on SH3

Main character: Johnny Garland / 16 years old / Element: None
His father and older sister died in a fire ("blazing red flames"). From New York.

Main Female Character: Shania / 21 years old / Element: Darkness
She's a Native American warrior (though that's pretty obvious).

Some places shown: Chicago, Brooklyn, Grand Canyon, Chelsea

Pictures found here

and here

The game is supposedly 60% Complete, so...Here's hoping for more information soon. :D

YES. YES IT CAN.

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even though most of the screen shots seem to be from FMVs it appears the characters and back grounds are much more detailed with the shadow effects looking more realistic than the last game. The story of the first two games never got to North American right? which would make the idea of having any returning characters playing a major role seem to be kind of a stretch... oh well, being one of the top rpgs of last year should be reason enough for me to get this one. How long have you known about this game? you sure got the details fast, thanks for the pictrues.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

jjrrs wrote:
Even though most of the screen shots seem to be from FMVs it appears the characters and back grounds are much more detailed with the shadow effects looking more realistic than the last game. The story of the first two games never got to North American right? which would make the idea of having any returning characters playing a major role seem to be kind of a stretch... oh well, being one of the top rpgs of last year should be reason enough for me to get this one. How long have you known about this game? you sure got the details fast, thanks for the pictrues.

Actually, most of the shots from Johnny's profile strike me as in-game. ::Shrug:: Time will tell, I suppose.

As for characters that can show up:

Halley, Koudelka, Margaurite (Okay, yeah. She'd be a little dead if they follow real history, but...I mean...She had a cell phone in the first one, so...), Edward, I wouldn't be suprised to see Kurando and/or Anastasia, and the Peach Bat that gave Joachim his second to last weapon.

YES. YES IT CAN.

Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, I know the DC has no chance of coming out here (though IMO they might as well; if it didn't sell well last time maybe a new edition with some ACTUAL ADVERTISING might word.)

I'm not surprised Covenant didn't sell well - I don't think Midway advertised it at all. I never saw it written up, never saw an advertisement, and didn't find out the game had been released until I saw it in E.B. one day!

I also liked the jetsetting nature of the first two games. I liked traveling all around Europe and Asia. Fun. ^_^

My thoughts on what we've seen so far of Shadow Hearts 3 are simple and thus:

1 - I like that it takes place in America. This will be the first time I will actually see towns I recognize in an RPG! (And if they cut Chicago out I will be so mad because I've always wanted to see a videogame set there.) Chelsea is a bit of a random town (Michigan or Massachusetts?), but ....^_^;

2 - Obviously not a direct sequel, which is interesting. I guess they thought Yuri's story was done. (Let the debate of which ending is canon...BEGIN!) I would have thought that they would have picked the series up with Kurando, though, not some new kid. Either way is good, IMO...I always thought Kurando was kind of blah, and only like him a little bit because of Anastacia.

3 - God, could Johnny BE any more of a stereotypical Nooo Yawker? That pose... I have to say though, I like his design a whole lot better than Shania's.

4 - Am not digging Shania's design at all. Her outfit is stupid and racist looking (not to mention fanservicey...She looks like a bikini barbie), and her face looks weird - like they took Karin, scrunched her face up a bit, and made her black and blonde. I'll probably grow to like her, but it will be in spite of her design...Not due to it. :?

And also, because I am being thick and do not remember...Why would Margaurite be a little dead? 0.o

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:
Oh, I know the DC has no chance of coming out here (though IMO they might as well; if it didn't sell well last time maybe a new edition with some ACTUAL ADVERTISING might word.)

I'm not surprised Covenant didn't sell well - I don't think Midway advertised it at all. I never saw it written up, never saw an advertisement, and didn't find out the game had been released until I saw it in E.B. one day!

They actually did a fair amount of advertising -- much more than they did for the first one. It was mostly all online, though, and most gaming were constantly previewing it with glowing reviews. Which...Makes the low, low sales very disappointing.

Sophita wrote:
I also liked the jetsetting nature of the first two games. I liked traveling all around Europe and Asia. Fun. ^_^

My thoughts on what we've seen so far of Shadow Hearts 3 are simple and thus:

1 - I like that it takes place in America. This will be the first time I will actually see towns I recognize in an RPG! (And if they cut Chicago out I will be so mad because I've always wanted to see a videogame set there.) Chelsea is a bit of a random town (Michigan or Massachusetts?), but ....^_^;

I'm assuming Chelsea, New York, since Johnny is from New York.

Sophita wrote:
2 - Obviously not a direct sequel, which is interesting. I guess they thought Yuri's story was done. (Let the debate of which ending is canon...BEGIN!) I would have thought that they would have picked the series up with Kurando, though, not some new kid. Either way is good, IMO...I always thought Kurando was kind of blah, and only like him a little bit because of Anastacia.

The good ending. God, please the good ending. The bad ending was so random and out of character.

I always figured they set Kurando up as "Blah" so they could develop him in the next game. I just hope they don't develop him in the "The woman I loved was gunned down by an angry mob after being thrown in a well and there was nothing I could do to stop it" direction.

Sophita wrote:
3 - God, could Johnny BE any more of a stereotypical Nooo Yawker? That pose... I have to say though, I like his design a whole lot better than Shania's.

He looks like a mini-Tidus to me in some of the shots, which...Worries me slightly, but...Who knows. Maybe he'll be bad-assed.

Sophita wrote:
4 - Am not digging Shania's design at all. Her outfit is stupid and racist looking (not to mention fanservicey...She looks like a bikini barbie), and her face looks weird - like they took Karin, scrunched her face up a bit, and made her black and blonde. I'll probably grow to like her, but it will be in spite of her design...Not due to it. :?

God, yes. Put some pants on. Of course, I was saying the same thing to Karin and Alice in the last two games, and I really like them both, so...Maybe this will work out. In fact, I hated (Still do, really) Karin's design. I don't get why she couldn't have stayed in the very awesome army outfit.

Word on the "Bikini Barbie" call, though. :D

Sophita wrote:
And also, because I am being thick and do not remember...Why would Margaurite be a little dead? 0.o

Margaurite is based on the real life "Mata Hari" (Real name: Margaretha Zelle), who was executed in 1917.

YES. YES IT CAN.

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hot tip for anyone who can find a fry's near their house: the Pomo copies of the first Shadow Heart which is the exact complete game except on the front cover has a very small white window labled "Promotional Copy Not for Resale" other wise even the seal is exactly the same as the oringinal, they are sold at fry's for $0.99, I bought out all the copies near my house which took me a little over $5, while gamestop give $11 for trade in on that game and they sell on ebay for about $25 each, I saw some guy even paid $50 for one not too long ago. So if there is a fry's near your house, you can either pick one up to play with for a very low price or make a 200+% profit. I am holding on to the ones I have, hope you guys can find them if you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: