Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Scientology [As a financial and even criminal enterprise]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am quite uneasy to declare that any belief can be declared as a "religion." There is indeed a field of "religious studies" which delves into the nature of religion from various perspectives. It sounds quite too brash to discount centuries of discouse on the subject of the "nature or religion" in favor of an "anthing goes" argument.

There are many different ideas when it comes to, "what is a religion?"

The most common perspective is the anthropological / sociological perspective that religion functions to supplement secular morality which may otherwise not be adhered to, especially by providing actual external social structures (such as churches). From this perspective, religion would be difficult to separate from culture, and often times older religions are closely integrated with the culture of persons who live in that area.

The other interpretation is a simpler one -- that "religious awareness is centered on 'awe,' which is a blend of fear and facsination before the divine" (very famous idea by the scholar Rudolph Otto from his book 'Das Heilige'). In this case, a religion will require a "religious expeirence" at its core to define itself, and a method to convey these experiences in ways that can be fathomed and passed on.

Because there are religions out there that lack moral codes and / or churches, the "anthropological" model seems to only provide explanation for certain types of religions. However, in that case won't scientology's various claims be considered a "blend of fear and fascination"? Unfortunately, even courts in more progressive nations such as Switzerland have denined "religious status" to Scientology.

The problem is Scientology attempts to say that their "religious practicies" is science (such as "Auditing"), and when they try to spread in nations that have strong religious identities, they will deny that they are a religion.

And lastly, Ron Hubbard states himself that Scientology isn't a religion:

"Scientology has opened the gates to a better world. It is not a
psycho-therapy nor a religion. It is a body of knowledge which,
when properly used, gives freedom and truth to the individual."

-- L. Ron Hubbard, "The Creation of Human Ability"
Los Angeles: A.S.H.O., 1971, page 251

(This was later removed from later editions circa 1974)
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have no argument against this and I have certainly said that each person has a right to discuss their prolems with Scientology. I simply don't agree with it getting any special attention due to one's very own personal bias. It is as if Scientolgoy is being glorified, and people are in awe of the atrocities they are accused to and actually have committed. If you would like to investigate it for criminal behavior, then do so, but I believe it is simply bias dissent that makes the public argue that Scientology's activities are unique and deserve special attention. It uses intimidation, true, but this is certainly not unique for a religious practice. It uses litigation to quell dissentors, true, but this is certainly not unique. It is a money making entity, true, but this certainly does not make it unique.

Do you honestly think that if Scientology was not so popular people would be as vocal as they are against it? Do you honestly think that if so many celebrity weren't subscribing to this religion, that it would make the topic of discussion?

So, no, I am not simply stating that you can't address the issues with Scientology without addressing every other religion, I am stating that don't point the finger at one fledgling religion without inspecting the foundation of other religions and seeing how, in fact, the practices of those religions may have contributed to the practices of Scientology and how they carry out their methods. Don't simply look at the ills of Scientology without looking at the history of religion first and then discussing the problems and realizing that it is not so unique.

So, if another religion has avoided scandal, then there is no need to compare it to Scientology and there is no need to bring them up. I simply despise trying to make this joke of a religion, which I believe many of you would agree that it is, a huge problem when the fact of the matter is that the reason why it is thriving is because of critics. They draw people to Scientology and that is precisely why it continues to thrive. Discuss it, but don't make it seem like you are talking about something unique. That right there is the basis behind my argument.

Quote:
Unfortunately, even courts in more progressive nations such as Switzerland have denined "religious status" to Scientology.

This is true, but I fear how problematic that will become in our future when a person has to gain the okay from a court to determine whether their beliefs are justified. That is a huge problem.

Quote:
And lastly, Ron Hubbard states himself that Scientology isn't a religion:

"Scientology has opened the gates to a better world. It is not a
psycho-therapy nor a religion. It is a body of knowledge which,

-- L. Ron Hubbard, "The Creation of Human Ability"
Los Angeles: A.S.H.O., 1971, page 251

(This was later removed from later editions circa 1974)

Whether the creator claimed it a religion or not, is compelling but really does not and obviously did not determine how followers of his words perceived it. If they want it to be a religion and will practice it as such, what divine right gives us the right to deny them of this privilege? I just really have a problem with the idea that some governing body or dissenting person can determine the validity of what someone else considers to be their religion.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, when you get into the "history of religion," that is also a completely different argument. In these cases, religion would have clearly mixed with political institutions, which is not part of an all-inclusive definition of what religion is. Most of the time, "religious atrocities" are actually triggered by other political reasons, and dogma is typically used as mere excuse. Basically, the definition of religion can exist without history, and to say the two must be connected would be a very narrow perspective.

Quote:
I just really have a problem with the idea that some governing body or dissenting person can determine the validity of what someone else considers to be their religion.

This is because in this context, "religion" has institutional meaning (such as tax-exempt status -- something Ron Hubbard sought as a way to make money). Whether something actually qualifies as a "religious expeirece" is indeed a personal decision. However, each culture / government, etc will always retain their own rules when it comes to how an group can qualify as a religion. If I suddenly say, "I believe this spoon is god" and demand tax-exempt status, I will be laughed at. However, I will indeed be allowed to practice my spoon religion in peace if we it remains a personal faith.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't believe I implied that religion and history were necessarily intertwined. Acutally, I perceive religion as pre-dating history. I stated that other religions have, in the past (which is what I meant by history), resorted to similar methods as Scientology and that possibly, possibly, Scientology was influenced by the methods of those religions. I stated, and believe, that it is reckless to assume that Scientology is unique and should be perceived as such.

The topic of religion existing with or without history was never revealed in my statements I do believe and I will clarify that that was not my intention to do so. So, I totally agree with your previous post, but my statement was not revolving around such an issue.

Quote:
This is because in this context, "religion" has institutional meaning (such as tax-exempt status -- something Ron Hubbard sought as a way to make money). Whether something actually qualifies as a "religious expeirece" is indeed a personal decision. However, each culture / government, etc will always retain their own rules when it comes to how an group can qualify as a religion.

My argument is that if you could get a huge following to agree that your spoon is a god, then why wouldn't it be able to get the amount of tax-exempt status as another religion with the same amount of members? CoS has an enormous following and financial backing from their members. So, why should it not have the tax-exempt status? And even if a religion is absurd, if it can amass following then it should reap the benefits.

Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Then are you saying that religion even religions that are acting suspicousally or even illegally just becuase some people may beleive in that said religion and they could be offended by questioning that said churchs actions is not a good reason to just leave them be.

People can and will beleive in all sorta and we can both agree that will never change and I dont want it too.

Im not telling people what they SHOULD beleive. Im questioning the people who are in charge of those religions and making sure they keep their actions within the limits of the law and scientology is an example of how religion can be used to keep the activities of that said religion a secret.

Religion is a big business and people will always try and exploit something that can be profitable and to protect society against people who would do this we have to keep an eye on the people in charge not the everyone who wants to join a church.

Im not saying that the beleivers are the ones responsible and that they should be restricted from practicing their beleifs but this is'nt a thread about belief its more about people who are fraudulant in nature from using a religion to commit criminal activities and scientology is just a recent incarnation of this. Catholosism and other religions are not innocent from illegal activities and thats why I think religion should be monitored more carefully becuase it can effect people in a negative way.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In that case, it is also arguable that because religions in modern times have abandoned these practices (such as torture) which may have possibly influenced Scientology, they also should. If an argument is based on historical precident, one can say, "because religion A used method B during it's early stages, religion B should also be able to use that method during its early stages." However, that is clearly absurd, because we live in different times. For that reason, Scientology will have to be judged based on the common morality of the times (and every religion is judged in that way).

Also, it is debatable whether the Church of Scientology has the "huge" following that they claim. Census data consistently shows that there can't be "millions" of members world-wide, when less than 2000 people claim to be Scientologists in the UK, am donly 50000 in the USA. The church claims to be the "fastest growing religion in the world," but provides no data.

Finally, in regards to whether the "spoon religion" can gain official religion status, this will again depend on the laws. It will probably be very hard to be approved if your religion actively uses illegal methods to proselytize or use intimindation to keep members from straying. In the case of Scientology, there's typically illegal actions that will make it hard for them to claim status as acceptable.
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Then are you saying that religion even religions that are acting suspicousally or even illegally just becuase some people may beleive in that said religion and they could be offended by questioning that said churchs actions is not a good reason to just leave them be.

No, I am saying that what one deems suspicious is based on individual bias and what is illegal is determined by the law.

Quote:

Im questioning the people who are in charge of those religions and making sure they keep their actions within the limits of the law and scientology is an example of how religion can be used to keep the activities of that said religion a secret.

So, keeping secrets is not within the scope of the law?

Quote:

Religion is a big business and people will always try and exploit something that can be profitable and to protect society against people who would do this we have to keep an eye on the people in charge not the everyone who wants to join a church.

So, we are protecting people from freely choosing to be exploited? I mean, Scientology clearly states that they require donations to become a member. Once a person agrees to this they are the ones liable not the person in charge. The people are clearly made aware of the risk they take.

Quote:

Im not saying that the beleivers are the ones responsible and that they should be restricted from practicing their beleifs but this is'nt a thread about belief its more about people who are fraudulant in nature from using a religion to commit criminal activities and scientology is just a recent incarnation of this. Catholosism and other religions are not innocent from illegal activities and thats why I think religion should be monitored more carefully becuase it can effect people in a negative way

The problem is that you cannot prove that this particular practice is fraud. I would be all for it being prosecuted if you can prove it is a scam, but people actually pay alot of money to support it, willingly I might add. This practice is relatively new, but has been around for awhile. If it was fraudulent, CoS would have been prosecuted and banned from being practiced by now.

Quote:
In that case, it is also arguable that because religions in modern times have abandoned these practices (such as torture) which may have possibly influenced Scientology, they also should. If an argument is based on historical precident, one can say, "because religion A used method B during it's early stages, religion B should also be able to use that method during its early stages." However, that is clearly absurd, because we live in different times. For that reason, Scientology will have to be judged based on the common morality of the times (and every religion is judged in that way).

The statement I made was not in order to justify whether Scientology could be judged or not, the statement was used in order to display that Scientology is not unique and should not be treated as such.

Quote:
Also, it is debatable whether the Church of Scientology has the "huge" following that they claim. Census data consistently shows that there can't be "millions" of members world-wide, when less than 2000 people claim to be Scientologists in the UK, am donly 50000 in the USA. The church claims to be the "fastest growing religion in the world," but provides no data.

Until facts can be used in support of either position, then all arguments can be deemed purely speculative.

Quote:
Finally, in regards to whether the "spoon religion" can gain official religion status, this will again depend on the laws. It will probably be very hard to be approved if your religion actively uses illegal methods to proselytize or use intimindation to keep members from straying. In the case of Scientology, there's typically illegal actions that will make it hard for them to claim status as acceptable.

I agree with this statement.

Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im just adding another link to topic be sure to check it out guys.

here it is http://scientomogy.com/

Its a Tom Cruise parody website but they do have information about scientology that is less than a comedy including information and articles from "Rolling Stones" magazine and news stories involving scientology and its members.

You can also find the legendary South Park episode here and even the Boston Legal is there too.

So check it out it makes me laugh like hell.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Urn']
Until facts can be used in support of either position, then all arguments can be deemed purely speculative.[/quote]

National census tends to be fact based on statistical methods and audited by third parties, while Scientology provides no backing for their data. If you acually think I am lying, I can provide you with all the census data from various countries in the world. They don't add up to Scientology's claim of "millions"... not even one million.

Quote:
The statement I made was not in order to justify whether Scientology could be judged or not, the statement was used in order to display that Scientology is not unique and should not be treated as such.

And my argument is that they are unique in that they continue employing harmful practices which are not performed by any other religions today (even if they may have centuries ago). The other difference would be that for religions such as Catholoicism where there was a history of physical abuse, it was still very limited and not part of their core religious beliefs. In the case of Scientology, physical and mental abuse as well as conducing illegal activities is indeed acceptable (and there have been arrests made) and aruably a core "method" (as opposed to "belief'). The reason why they continue to exist is due to their legal teams and various loopholes in the law, and the fact that there are no witnesses other than those who claim abuse (or very few witnesses).
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

National census tends to be fact based on statistical methods and audited by third parties, while Scientology provides no backing for their data. If you acually think I am lying, I can provide you with all the census data from various countries in the world. They don't add up to Scientology's claim of "millions"... not even one million.

Facts, but possibly askewed on how many individuals actually participated in the census. I have no doubt that you are telling the truth. Even if Scientologist are "fudging" the numbers, what is the standard of determing how large a following has to be before it can be subject to tax-exemption. As far as I know, such a number has not been set. But, maybe there is data out there.

Quote:

And my argument is that they are unique in that they continue employing harmful practices which are not performed by any other religions today (even if they may have centuries ago). The other difference would be that for religions such as Catholoicism where there was a history of physical abuse, it was still very limited and not part of their core religious beliefs. In the case of Scientology, physical and mental abuse as well as conducing illegal activities is indeed acceptable (and there have been arrests made) and aruably a core "method" (as opposed to "belief'). The reason why they continue to exist is due to their legal teams and various loopholes in the law, and the fact that there are no witnesses other than those who claim abuse (or very few witnesses).

No argument here to refute this. I have been sufficiently quieted.

Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
And lastly, Ron Hubbard states himself that Scientology isn't a religion: Scientology has opened the gates to a better world. It is not a psycho-therapy nor a religion. It is a body of knowledge which,

See, the thing is, I believe that's done primarily for image sake. He didn't want to call it a religion because, with as new as it was, it would most likely be harder to draw people in if he tried to put it up there with Christianity from the start. Hubbard claimed a lot of things for the sake of image, like that he had a Purple Heart.

Whether or not it is one doesn't change the fact that he said he wanted to create one shortly before he created scientology. I'm sure we're all well aware of how much image plays into this.

Urn wrote:

Do you honestly think that if Scientology was not so popular people would be as vocal as they are against it? Do you honestly think that if so many celebrity weren't subscribing to this religion, that it would make the topic of discussion?

Well, given the fact that it is the only religion I have ever heard of that specifically gives celebrities special treatment and a special place in the religion for the sole purpose that they are celebrities, no, if celebrities didn't buy into it, it wouldn't be a topic, because it most likely would have failed long ago.

For the first part, I don't think the fact that there are vocal critics are increasing its popularity nearly as much as who they try to get to join. Given how our culture is, getting the Hollywood elite to join it pretty much signified that it was going to stay around. I think we saw much more blatant criticism of it when Tom Cruise had his little tiff on the Matt Lauer show, which to me indicates that their own actions are bringing the attention to themselves, and the fact that the members happen to be among the most famous people in the country does far more to promote it than do the people who criticize it.

Urn wrote:
So, no, I am not simply stating that you can't address the issues with Scientology without addressing every other religion, I am stating that don't point the finger at one fledgling religion without inspecting the foundation of other religions and seeing how, in fact, the practices of those religions may have contributed to the practices of Scientology and how they carry out their methods. Don't simply look at the ills of Scientology without looking at the history of religion first and then discussing the problems and realizing that it is not so unique.

That's no easier of a task, in fact, that's much more difficult than wanting people to discuss every religion. Scientology is what is being discussed because they are the ones doing it now. The Catholic church used to have pay confessionals and relics that supposedly reduced the time one spent in purgatory, but they don't now. While it's not unrealistic to ask for other religions to be discussed, I don't think it's realistic to ask people to go through and drudge up all of the religious scandals.

But I think I get what your saying. However, all that talk would be just as much speculation as questioning the validity of their beliefs.

Urn wrote:
So, if another religion has avoided scandal, then there is no need to compare it to Scientology and there is no need to bring them up. I simply despise trying to make this joke of a religion, which I believe many of you would agree that it is, a huge problem when the fact of the matter is that the reason why it is thriving is because of critics. They draw people to Scientology and that is precisely why it continues to thrive. Discuss it, but don't make it seem like you are talking about something unique. That right there is the basis behind my argument.

But, see, Scientology hasn't had (at least that I'm aware of), a pedophilia scandal, so what is the relevence of comparing it to the Catholic church in that regards? I can understand wanting to compare the relic system the catholic church used to employ with the pay to be enlightened nature of scientology, but you specifically brought up the Catholicism pedophilia scandal when it doesn't really have a purpose in this.

And it sounds like the entire basis of your argument is that you don't want scientology to continue to exist, yourself.

Urn wrote:
This is true, but I fear how problematic that will become in our future when a person has to gain the okay from a court to determine whether their beliefs are justified. That is a huge problem.

Why? Everyone else has to do it in court already for all sorts of mundane things. If I am charged with assault, I have to defend why I believe it's justified. The big difference is that if I can't do it, I go to jail, whereas if they can't do it, theyjust have to pay taxes.

I do feel like it should be noted that merely having that level of tax-exempt status doesn't mean something is a religion. Other non-religion based entities have it (including things like country clubs), so there's more to granting it than simply being whether it meets the dictionary definition of a religion.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just to add to Vextors membership post.

The CoS had claimed to have over 10 million members world wide. However a survey condected in 2002-03 proved that the church had only 100,000-500,000 members. Its stuff like this that originally peaked my interest.

And other Illegal activities that HAVE BEEN PROVEN are on these links.

I picked out my 2 personal favourites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout

These actions alone along with many others over the 50 year period scientology has been around is a little more than suspicous.

And by the way you can find the film "The Bridge" here parts of this film actually feature scientology introduction and recriutment videos, these videos will be shown in color to let the viewer know.

http://www.scientomogy.com/the_bridge.php

Which was completly banned days after its public release. The maker of this film Brett Hannover had no comment and cut off all connection to the film after the CoS was done sueing him.

Another one to scientology I guess....

And for Amryal. I agree that the CoS would have died out long ago if celebrities did'nt endorse it. Celebrities live a life style that most of us can only dream about. Everything is bigger, better and more expensive and scientology has provided celebrities with a way to be above the rest, even in a feild as sensitive as religion.

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
Camus. You live in America I take it? I live in Britian and lets just say that religion over here has gone downhill. I went to church for a short period to help get a child baptised. Im the godfather by the way. And although the Vicar said that their are alot of people who just go for a christening and never show up again. What could he do? I personally dont fell pressured to be in a religion and I cant speak for other people in religions thats why this subject is open to discussion.

This is definitely true. Religion in America and the United Kingdom are very different. Perhaps you're not familiar with the situation in the United States. Here, the far right-wing Christian demographic, which is far more reactionary than the Church of England (the one I presume you are referring to), is quite large. A majority of Americans or something close to it believe in literal Creationism, and it is not uncommon to believe that the Rapture is imminent. Homophobia and puritanical moral beliefs are nearly mainstream. The federal government only officially supports "abstinence-only" sex education, meaning that no constructive information is provided about contraception or safe sex. Finally, and worst of all, there are a number of factions on the Christian right who have made establishing a Christian theocracy in the United States their explicit goal; and these groups have earned the full support of many high-ranking individuals in the Republican Party. So perhaps you can see now why I'm not so friendly to religions other than Scientology.

Urn wrote:
Speaking as an atheist means you don't believe in a particular religion because every religion professes that there is some sort of supreme deity governing our actions. That is the essence of religion, a supreme governing body dictating the way a person should behave.

I have a peripheral point to make here. Atheism does not necessarily equal a lack of religion. Buddhism, for instance, is often called an "atheistic religion" because it does not really entail any specific belief in a supreme deity. Scientology, for that matter, isn't particularly focused on a deity. Of course, then you get into the question of "What counts as a religion?" Personally, I think it's a mostly useless question that reduces ultimately to what the speaker means by the word. It's a matter of semantics and context. And then there are other religions (Shinto, for example), that aren't especially concerned with morality.

Quote:
If you are taking an atheist standpoint then there would be no need to argue about a spiritual loss because you wouldn't prescribe to such a thing anyway and would not be sitting here discussing the merits of scientology as a religion since you already have decided not to prescribe to a particular religion at all.

I feel like we're back in the thread about the army and homosexuality, Urn. I'm an atheist and I'm definitely here discussing Scientology as a religion. One can look at the merits of Scientology versus those of other religions without necessarily subscribing to any of them.

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
But to say a religion can come out of no where and walk on even terms with the religions we know...now THAT's unfair.

I don't see why antiquity is any particular reason to respect one religion more than another. Regardless of their age, all religions should be respected to a degree determined by their doctrines and impact on the world. The argument I (and Urn, if I understand him) have been making is that singling out Scientology as "undeserving of respect" is faulty. Other religions suffer from similar problems and therefore the same criticisms apply to them as well, to varying degrees.

In light of Vextor's comments, I have to back off what I previously said about Scientology being more benign than most other religions. I don't necessarily think that the consequences of Scientology are much worse than those of other religions; but it's true that Scientology is one of the more inherently authoritarian and exploitative religions.
Scott

Demon King's Ambition

41 Potch
1150 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't really comment much on all these BIG posts, because I simply do not know enough about their (CoS') actions...

Well. I personally feel that Scientology is complete load of bull. It goes as far as contradicting most mainstream religious views, accepted science, attacks it's own members, stealing from the Government, changing their own beliefs as they see fit... They honestly do come off as a cult. Haven't a few countries actually deemed them to dangerous cults?

The lengths that they go to just to silence people who disagree with them is simply Disgusting. Kidnapping, threats, slander, hiding the truth, set ups...It's really quiet unnerving if you ask me.

I read up at one point about them more or less excommunicating members of their own church for standing up for the church beliefs. A few were kicked out for saying their teachings have changed too much from what L. Ron Hubbard originally had them believing. That alone is pretty darn bad if you ask me...

To relive those Halcyon days of youth
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In response to Camus. Yes I was refering to the Church of England.

In response to Scott. A few countries do not regard Scientology as a religion. Italy recently had a Superior Court hearing about whether Scientology was a religion or not. They ruled in Scientology's favor but it was recognised that this was a technicality and this status may be subject to review.

Germany as well does'nt regard Scientology as a religion and regards it as a financial entity and refuses to give the tax-exempt status we are all so familiar with.

wikipedia.com wrote:
In Canada, the Church of Scientology is considered a religious non-profit organization. its application for charity status was rejected in 1999. In 1992, Scientology became the only religious organization convicted in criminal court on two counts of breach of the public trust (for an organized conspiracy to infiltrate government offices) following a trial by jury.

In Spain, the Church of Scientology has been refused registration as a religious entity, however authorities declared that the government would not interfere in any way with the activities of the Church of Scientology

The United Kingdom government does not recognize Scientology as a bona fide religion, and the Church's application for charity status in the United Kingdom was rejected in 1999

The Church has been subjected to considerable pressure from the state in Russia.

In Ireland, Scientology maintains a mission in Dublin. The Church of Scientology Mission of Dublin Ltd. is not listed with Ireland's Office of the Revenue Commissioners as an authorised charity for donation tax relief.

In Belgium, the minister of justice refused Scientology as a candidate for the status of recognized religion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: