Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What planet is Suikoden set on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vector Xthonic wrote:
It may not even be a planet. [...] I'm going with the theory that most RPG world maps are 2 dimensional and loop in x and y directions, which make it a torus, instead of a sphere.

A donut that circles around a sun would be called planet as well. The term "planet" does not require a spherical shape.
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting ideas, everybody. I can't go with "Terra" because that is the common name of the Earth in a lot of Sci Fi. It's a good name, in fact it's what we generally call Earth around home. Terra orbits Sol, etc.

I'm proceeding under the assumption that Suikoden is set on a planet because we have not yet seen the whole map, and so there isn't that same problem with the map some other RPSs have. This is one of the great things about Suikoden! Of course, I know that it could all be set on a turtle on top of four elephants standing on an egg, or a torus, or a ringworld. However, since the stories of Suikoden use mostly real world laws of physics etc (except for runes of course), and there are normal days, nights, and years, that says to me it's a regular spherical planet.

But in any case, every world of whatever type has a name the natives call it... perhaps 'water margin' might not be so bad, after all, since it could indicate a land mass close to the endless 'sea' of stars!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zelphiel

Apophis Berserkers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it could just be some place that exists in space as a result of the sword and shield destroying each other in the beginning.

Maybe if the game progresses further into the Sindar race or the Ancient Armes Civilization we'll learn a little more about the science behind the world of Suikoden and maybe the place in space that it exists.

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think Suikoden would be in a planet... Seriously.

Heck, we don't even know wether they even have some kind of "universe," a "galaxy" or even a "solar system." Sure, we do know they have some sort of "sun" or "moon" or "stars." But what if those celestial bodies are just pasted on the sky in the world of Suikoden? What if those things are the ones orbiting around the Suikoden "planet"? Or better yet, what if some sort of mythical flying creature, say a bird, is actually the so called "sun" or "moon" or "star" just flying around bringing light to the world of Suikoden?

No matter how many similarities our world has to the Suikoden world, we can't assume the Suikoden world works the same as our world. There are so many possibilities which can happen. Unless Konami tells us that the Suikoden world indeed is a planet, we can only speculate wether it really is one.
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting ideas. Nobody's convinced me yet that the stories of Suikoden are set on anything other than a relatively normal (albeit alien) planet. It's a world like pretty much any other since most of the physical laws are the same.

There is gravity, there is air, there is day and night, water is liquid at the normal temperature, etc. There is also weather, which is caused by the atmosphere when it is acted upon by natural forces such as heat from the sun and gravity, all of it far too complex to get into here. Point being, all the small things we take for granted (like trees being green, or waves in water) are actually products of a complex interrelationship between all kinds of forces, physical qualities, laws of physics, etc.

I suppose it could be as you say... but if it was, it would definitely be in another sort of reality entirely. Perhaps all of the Suikoden stories are just a dream in the mind of a butterfly! Or they are all stories that Viki tells herself...

It could be all those things, but in the end, why? Especially since the other answer is so much simpler? Occam's Razor and all that. And I know that all of it is really just stories in the imagination of the writers of Konami, but within that framework, I really see no reason why Suikoden should be in a universe that has physical laws that mimic normal ones, yet totally ignore all the others. Unless Suikoden is just a dream of the Runes?

Ryusei wrote:
I don't think Suikoden would be in a planet... Seriously.

Heck, we don't even know wether they even have some kind of "universe," a "galaxy" or even a "solar system." Sure, we do know they have some sort of "sun" or "moon" or "stars." But what if those celestial bodies are just pasted on the sky in the world of Suikoden? What if those things are the ones orbiting around the Suikoden "planet"? Or better yet, what if some sort of mythical flying creature, say a bird, is actually the so called "sun" or "moon" or "star" just flying around bringing light to the world of Suikoden?

No matter how many similarities our world has to the Suikoden world, we can't assume the Suikoden world works the same as our world. There are so many possibilities which can happen. Unless Konami tells us that the Suikoden world indeed is a planet, we can only speculate wether it really is one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zelphiel

Apophis Berserkers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Athene Airheart wrote:
It could be all those things, but in the end, why?

you have a point there. unless they plan on having someone come into one of the games from another planet like in the Star Ocean or Phantasy Star series I guess it doesn't really matter.

but then again this is all just speculation so who cares. it's still fun to talk about. 8-)

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is an interesting question to point out. There is no real mention of what planet Suikoden is based on. All i can really say here is that i call it the ''Suikoden world''.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

But on the other hand, the universal shot with all the runes circling in the opening of V could be considered canon, right? Just gotta mean something.
eternal_knight_ron

Knight Of Suikoden

16178 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm I think the name of their world is "Suiko" which was written in the name of their map called "Suiko Map".
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: