Suikoden Unique and Infamous Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Souleater/Rune of Life and Death
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was under the impression that Gremio's life was restored because of the Gate Rune and the 108 Stars of Destiny, so I researched it further. From Due Fiumi:
Quote:
Prior to the end of the war, however, Gremio was miraculously restored to life by the combined powers of Leknaat's half of the Gate Rune and the power of the 108 Stars of Destiny

And Suikox:
Quote:
Gremio followed Hero McDohl into the Gate Rune Wars and protected him wherever he went. He even lost his life protecting him, but was miraculously brought back to life by the powers of the Gate Rune and the 108 Stars of Destiny.

So, it appears that the Soul Eater had nothing to do with bringing Gremio back to life. Although, it should be noted that the 108 Stars of Destiny have a history of being able to overcome the will of True Runes. In Suikoden II, the 108 Stars overcame the Rune of Beginning, allowing Jowy to live and the war to end despite the rune's wish for the two bearer's to war with each other. In Suikoden IV, the 108 Stars allowed Lazlo to live and helped push the Rune of Punishment to go into its atonement phase.

It should be noted that Gremio has some sort of immunity to the Soul Eater after he was brought back, as he traveled with Tir for years without being consumed by it. So you might be able to attribute that to the life side of the rune.

Quote:
Wasn't that due to him clashing with Windy?

It was due to him using the Soul Eater in an enclosed space, causing damage to himself and everyone around him.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

blueflame

Blue Rookies

294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Zonder so the mystery of the reason why the Rune of Life and Death is still a mystery :P. You can't say that the healing part of that rune is life because as one of you said its like only giving energy to the person and nothing more.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...it's just a cool name. Seriously.

^Actual quote!
FabledHero

17817 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You guys claimed in SIV if i'm not mistaken that Ted was able to heal himself with it, i don't remember exacltly, but assuming this is true, it does grant the bearer life from the souls it's taken
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wasn't it Leknaat's Gate Rune that called back Gremio's soul back with the help of all the Stars of Destiny?
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was no involvement with the rune of life and death in the resurrection of Gremio, it was only the gathering of the 108 stars that revived him.

It is called the rune of life and death much the same as the way the rune of punishment's full name is the Rune of Punishment and Atonement. Each rune governs a specific force of the universe as is stated in the lore of the Suikoden world. To govern something entirely you must also govern the opposing force. For instance, one entity could not have total control over light unless it had total control over shadows as well. Therefore, each true rune must govern an aspect of the balance of forces. Death is only definable because Life exists.

We also have another explanation for this in the nature of true runes. The Rune of Punishment switched into the Atonement phase after certain requirements were filled, so it can be assumed that the rune of life and death can be switched from its death cycle, to its life cycle (as corny as that sounds.) But hey, that's just one Suiko-encyclopedia's idea.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Admiral Ackbar

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

We also have another explanation for this in the nature of true runes. The Rune of Punishment switched into the Atonement phase after certain requirements were filled, so it can be assumed that the rune of life and death can be switched from its death cycle, to its life cycle (as corny as that sounds.) But hey, that's just one Suiko-encyclopedia's idea.

I disagree. Just because the Rune of Punishment enters a second phase doesn't mean the Soul Eater does. If it did, we would have heard of it in Suikoden 1. They wouldn't leave something like that out.

Controlling death does not mean controlling life. The Soul Eater is the most straight-forward True Rune in the series; it takes the souls of those closest to the bearer in order to gain power. There's nothing "life-giving" about it. Not once does the Soul Eater ever act in reverse...in fact, after Suikoden 1, Tir purposefully stays distant from Kasumi and his other friends so they won't accidentally die. It doesn't enter any "phases".

^Actual quote!
Master Ted

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
There's nothing "life-giving" about it. Not once does the Soul Eater ever act in reverse...in fact, after Suikoden 1, Tir purposefully stays distant from Kasumi and his other friends so they won't accidentally die. It doesn't enter any "phases".

That statement is half true, and half false. The Soul Eater does have life giving abilities, but it must cause death in order to give life. When Ted wields the rune, it not only takes life but gives it. When we see Tir using it however, it simply takes it. More than likely, the developers had Ted use the rune differently, and more effectively in my opinion, to symbolize his mastery of the rune.

Of course all Tir knows how to do with the rune is kill, kill, kill. He's only had it for about 6 years when we see him use it last during the Dunan Unification Wars. Now, I bet if we ever set eyes upon Tir again in the future, post Suikoden III, the way the rune functions will be different. Due to the fact that at that point he's had about two decades of experience with the rune.

One of the only reasons I believe that Gremio could be brought back through the power of the Gate Rune and the 108 Stars of Destiny, is because his soul was still complete inside of the Soul Eater. Without a soul, there is no life.

"It's my rune, my curse, my burden."
Admiral Ackbar

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only reason the Soul Eater works differently in Suikoden 4 is because it's a different game, with different gameplay mechanics. Just because two of the spells drain health doesn't say anything of the True Rune's actual nature in the story...the Soul Eater of Suikoden 4 was not the focus of the game, so attention was not applied to the small details of it, and the developers of S4 were smoking crack anyway when they wrote the script and gameplay mechanics.

Remember that the Darkness Rune, borne from the Soul Eater, has a draining spell in Suikoden 2. Doesn't mean anything. What matters with True Runes is their story significance. True Runes aren't built around gameplay mechanics, they're built around things that are far more abstract. And if the Soul Eater didn't have any "life" aspect in Suikoden 1, then it doesn't have one at all. That was the Soul Eater's time to shine, it's time to alter the flow of destiny.

If it had any "life" aspect, then Leknaat wouldn't have been the one reviving Gremio.

^Actual quote!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: