Suikoden Unique and Irrational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Some questions/discussions arising from Suikoden 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocky

Harmonian Paramilitary Spearmen Corps

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
However, I still think that Dunan not being involved is still a plot hole. I can see how that might be considered speculation, but, I think that it is a plot hole. I'm sure Teresa would be interested in restoring relations to the Karaya Clan, as well as being interested in getting in a good swipe at Harmonia for the whole Higheast Rebellion. Of course, Teresa doesn't necessarily strike me as the type for retribution, either, so it makes some sense that they might not rush right in.

Personally, I can't see Dunan wanting to get involved with another war. Sure, it's a decent amount of time since the last major event (S2 - 15 years ago.. not including Higheast incident), but Harmonia is also a border country/enemy of Dunan (Higheast, and the surrounding region, sits between the two). Harmonia has already expressed interest in getting this area back, too, don't forget. Getting involved in the 2nd Fire Bringer war has quite a few ill effects for Dunan, from what I can see:

-Losing more Dunanian soldiers in a war unrelated to your country's own concerns.. After only 15 years of peace
-Again placing yourself on Harmonia's bad list (Judging by the fact we make those who oppose us 3rd class "citizens" once they're conquered, Harmonia seems like quite a vengeful country...)
-Possibly causing a ton of internal problems within Dunan, as the handful of states that make up the nation may get upset over taking up arms in the 2nd Fire Bringer War. Don't want the Republic splitting up again or such.

Personally, I don't think it would be worth it for the Republic of Dunan to support Grasslands in the conflict. Let them worry about their own issues; Dunan has had enough of em in the last couple decades =P

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lord Kobe wrote:
And regarding an earlier comment about the possibility of Geddoe having better mastery over his rune than Sasarai. Technically, this shouldn't be possible. Sasarai has owned his rune longer than Geddoe actually. Sasarai and Luc are definitely not the same age. Sasarai was created alot longer, meaning he's had his True Earth Rune for a longer time.

Say what? According to this site, Sasarai was created the same time as Luc was... Geddoe was born in IS 350. Luc & Sasarai were created in IS 444. That's nearly ONE HUNDRED YEARS difference! That's a bold statment to make, which is contrary to much of what has been said here, so I would advise you to verify your claims. Furthermore, SARSadmin has pointed out that the reference to Sasarai giving the Blight Family the Beast Rune was a mistranslation. It was SUPPOSED to say Hikusaak, and Konami even admitted it. You're lucky I'm feeling a little leniant on this, as I would be inclined to dock you some Honor Points for stating false information... :?

Lord Kobe wrote:
Now on the Harmonia not simply destroying Grasslands and Zexen. Now, suikoden is a very realistic game. Just because Harmonia has the ability to destroy them doesn't necessarily mean it's wise to do it. Now Harmonia may be all powerful. But face it, a country can't survive alone. Harmonia too has trade with Grasslands and Zexen even if they're not exactly best of pals. At the same time, Dunan and Tinto also has trade with Grasslands and Zexen. This mutual relation is exactly the reason why Harmonia cannot abruptly just march in and wipe out Grasslands and Zexen. Aside from the risk of foreign intervention and the fact that they're making more enemies, there's also the fact that even if it's possible to win, it will take alot of effort. Harmonia will be sacrificing a fare amount of troops to actually wipe out grasslands and Zexen, which means it won't be a smart thing to do.

Wow, now I'm glad that FINALLY someone understood what the heck I was talking about. Exactly, it's too much of a pain to march in and take the Grasslands by force. Things didn't work out as planned, and hence several setbacks occured, and Harmonia ended up losing a lot more soldiers than it had planned on.

However, I will dispute what you state about needing other nations to trade with. That is most certainly untrue, as most nations make most of their money by taxing trade and income WITHIN their borders. From the view of a powerful nation, if another nation has something you need, you're forced with two options... Trade, or take it by force. And depending on how well the trade works out for you, you might be inclined to take what you need by force. Historically nations have CONSTANTLY done this! Look at why the German Army in World War II was in Northern Africa! Why? They needed Oil! Europe isn't exactly an oil-rich continent... As such, the Germans needed to seize the oil wells in North Africa to fuel their war machine.

Similarly, the Japanese seized the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia) to tap into their oil reserves as well. Oil is the cause of a lot of wars it seems, since trade doesn't work too well in some instances... Oh and before someone harps on the United States about this, we have Alaska which could fuel our nation for 400 years, if need be. Iraq has NOTHING we need, it's just a whole political mumbo jumbo, with Dick Cheney trying to get money and contracts for Halliburton. It's about money, not Oil... Trust me on this one.

*ahem* Back on the topic of Suikoden, now...

Sir Rocky wrote:
-Losing more Dunanian soldiers in a war unrelated to your country's own concerns.. After only 15 years of peace
-Again placing yourself on Harmonia's bad list (Judging by the fact we make those who oppose us 3rd class "citizens" once they're conquered, Harmonia seems like quite a vengeful country...)
-Possibly causing a ton of internal problems within Dunan, as the handful of states that make up the nation may get upset over taking up arms in the 2nd Fire Bringer War. Don't want the Republic splitting up again or such.

Well, those are pretty good reasons to not get involved, Sir. I haven't exactly figured all those variables into the equation there, and for that I'll have to give you some credit for doing so. The most compelling of your arguments has to do with the fact that Harmonia has a large enough army to divert soldiers to attack Dunan directly, and as such, a war for Dunan COULD be disasterous, however... The increased forces that they would provide Zexen, Grasslands, and Tinto with would prove to be an incredibly formidable force to fight Harmonia with... So, Harmonia WOULD have it's hands full, even if they were able to sneak some troops to attack Higheast Province directly. And as such, if Dunan helped out, they could've forced Harmonia to sue for a more definite peace, with more favorable terms for the Grasslands... However, the resulting sour relationship between Harmonia and Dunan would only get worse as a result of this war, so you're probably right in assuming that this would not have been a good idea for Dunan to get involved in this war. Not bad, Sir Rocky, and I do thank you for the spirited discussion, as always... :D

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the greatest issue in a war across a vast area? supply lines; sure, you can obtain what you need from the current area, but that will run dry fairly fast, since it was only intended to supply the people living there seasonally, not constantly-armies devour huge amounts of supplies, moreso than a normal population. given that most areas *outside of cities* aren't densely populated, this would create a burden any farming area couldn't support long term. an army crawls on its belly, in more than one way.

also, there are numerous walled cities and castles; this means long term seige to conquer those areas, another huge obstacle-long term offensives against a well fortified city=massive use of supplies/materiels, leading to increasing logistical problems.

the further afield a military operation goes, the larger the headaches it encounters. yes, they can pull from the areas they now occupy, but as stated above, the supplies will run short *think greenhills food issue on a massive scale, plus other logistical issues* fairly quick.

without adequate supplies, no army can hold military control over an area unless it is completely absorbed, and harmonia would have some problems with that; it would be much easier to take things slowly, absorb one region, fully integrate it, then move on to the next-something that would take years, maybe even longer to achieve.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: