Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

That 2006 Album Thingy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: That 2006 Album Thingy Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do this every year on the FFG forums and thought I'd port it over to Suikox. Basically the way this works is you list your top albums of the year up to 10, and they're awarded points based on rank. (1st place gets 10, 2nd 9, 3rd 8, etc) I'll add up the totals in January to see which album scores the highest. I know there's still a month to go, but you can edit your list any time.

You're allowed to pick more than 10. Your top 10 will gain points as described above, and every album listed whether in the top 10 or not gets 1. So in other words 1st through 10th get 11-2 points and then an unlimited number of albums can get 1. This ought to work out for the better since I don't expect many people will have the same albums in their top 10.

I'll follow this post up with my choices as soon as I can think of them. You can edit your choices up through December 31st, after which point I'll tally what I see.

I know you don't all have the same tastes as me, but here's a list I made of all the bands I could think of that came out with an album in 2006. It ought to help get the ball rolling for some of you at least. These aren't my actual choices. I haven't even heard some of them yet.

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Amon Amarth - With Odin On Our Side
Amorphis - Eclipse
Anaal Nathrakh - Eschaton
Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
Between the Buried and Me - The Anatomy Of
Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth
Built To Spill - You in Reverse
Carpathian Forest - Fuck You All!!!!
Celtic Frost - Monotheist
Converge - No Heroes
Cracker - Greenland
Dissection - Reinkaos
Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells
Drudkh - Songs of Grief and Solitude
Eagles of Death Metal - Death by Sexy
Elvenking - The Winter Wake
Gwar - Beyond Hell
Helvetia - The Clever North Wind
Ihsahn - The Adversary
In Flames - Come Clarity
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Isis - In the Absence of Truth
Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
Jesu - Silver
Kalmah - The Black Waltz
Kataklysm - In the Arms of Devastation
Korpiklaani - Tales Along This Road
Lordi - The Arockalypse
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Misery Signals — Mirrors
Muse — Black Holes and Revelations
Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
Ray Wylie Hubbard - Snake Farm
Regurgitate - Sickening Bliss
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
Rhapsody - Triumph or Agony
Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche
Sunn O))) & Boris - Altar
The Absence - From Your Grave
The Album Leaf - Into the Blue Again
The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
The Elms - The Chess Hotel
Tool - 10,000 Days
Two Trains - Two Trains
Týr - Ragnarok
Vader - Impressions in Blood
Venom — Metal Black
Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars
Xasthur — Subliminal Genocide

Edit: I've decided to combine the results from a number of different forums in to one so there's actually enough to be worth posting results.

Last edited by Shad on Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uh, you mean 2006, right? Don't tell me you went the whole year making that mistake!

I can only think of 6 albums right now, so I'll spread out the points like so.

Easily, Maaya Sakamoto's "Nikopachi" gets 10 points. I've never listened to an album so much before in all my life. "Here" and "The Garden of Everything" are literally breathtaking, and I've cried listening to "A Song for the Tail."

Nana Kitade's "-18- eighteen" is a very close second. 9 points for her. There's not one bad song on this album, and "Shunkan" has the most rythymical lyrics I've heard in a long time, which is exactly what I love about J-Rock. "Hold Heart" and "Kiss or Kiss" are extremely entertaining as well.

The Black Mages' "The Skies Above" should be a given. It's not as good as it could have been though, and I prefer songs with lyrics either way. But I don'tdisklike some aspects of it enough to rate this lower than some albums that I haven't actually gotten around to buying. 8 points.

Angelus' "Prythym" is quite new, but from what I've heard of it, it sounds very very good. 6 points for her.

Puffy Ami Yumi's new album, "Splurge" wasn't bad either. 4 points. They're really not that bad once you get past the fact they're like pets to Cartoon Network.

I guess I'll give Hyde's "Faith" 2 points. Its ups outweigh its downs, even if I do only have half the songs on my playlist (as opposed to every song as the case usually is).

In short:
"Nikopachi" by Maaya Sakamoto - 10 points
"-18- eighteen" by Nana Kitade - 9 points
"The Skies Above" by The Black Mages - 8 points
"Prythym" by Angelus - 6 points
"Splurge" by Puffy Ami Yumi - 4 points
"Faith" by Hyde - 2 points

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This year was a real down year.

My favorite album that came out this year is probably Deftones-Saturday Night Wrist but I know I'm forgetting something. I'll have to spend some time and make a real post.

10,000 Days was a disappointment...Black Holes and Revelations wasn't as good as Absolution...Between The Buried and Me-Anatomy Of was just a covers album...not a real release...The new Incubus album is downright awful...

So many bad albums this year over good ones.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Incubus came out with a new what now?

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought there last album was A Crow Left of the Murder... (or something to that effect)

Have they brought a new one out?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Aggression Then Silence

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah. "Light Grenades"

It's awful.

Incubus used to be pretty badass back in the day. They get progressively worse with each album.

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have thought for all the people active in Suikox I'd have gotten more than one reply so far. Oh well, here's a rough draft of my list. I need to re-listen to an awful lot before I can finalize anything.
I've unfortunately failed to get a hold of In the Absence of Truth by Isis, but if it's anything in keeping with their prior efforts it would make my top 10. I'll have to work without it for the moment though, and a number of other cds that I'm sure I'll love as soon as I can get them. That being the case, here's my initial list, prone to massive change. 2006 has been a fabulous year in music.

1. Red Sparowes - Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun
2. Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
3. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
4. Built To Spill - You in Reverse
5. Drudkh - Blood In Our Wells
6. Blind Guardian - A Twist in the Myth
7. Korpiklaani - Tales Along This Road
8. Lordi - The Arockalypse
9. Ihsahn - The Adversary
10. The Absence - From Your Grave

Runners up: (1 point each)
11. Cracker - Greenland
12. Xasthur — Subliminal Genocide
13. Converge - No Heroes
14. Two Trains - Two Trains
15. Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars
Aggression Then Silence

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shad4k wrote:
I
I've unfortunately failed to get a hold of In the Absence of Truth by Isis, but if it's anything in keeping with their prior efforts it would make my top 10.

I like it alot more than Panopticon plus I saw them open for TOOL. Amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: