Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 2 hates Ridley!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Suikoden 2 hates Ridley! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I guess this could go in Suikoden Discussion, but this'll work too.

Anyways, I recently played through Suikoden 2 again, but this time I did something I've never done in the past. When Nanami asked me to quit fighting in Tinto usually I tell her to buzz off, but this time around I decided I would be nice to her and agreed with her that I should stop fighting. Well, long story short, I obviously have to go back to the army, but it turns out that without my brilliant leadership, Ridley gets himself killed. That by itself wouldn't be enough to make one think the game had it in for poor Ridley, but you also have to look at the fact that they give you a pain of a major battle in which you need a lot of luck to save Ridley (sure, you can get him back later, but that's for chumps!).

Now, I ask you, are there characters you think the game just has it out for? Another example would seem to be Belcoot in Suikoden 5 since in that thread about losing characters in major battles he seems to be the hands down winner for highest fatality rate.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pohl in Suikoden 2 was a character the game surely had it coming for. I really thought he would survive.

Another good choice is poor old Peck, that poor soul had it coming in not one, but two freaking games.

I never had any character killed all the time during the normal playthrough of any of the games that I can particulary recall at the moment. Though the frailness of Tuta always bugged me, but that's pretty obvious.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081894 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most games seem to zone in on a certain character as constantly getting beat on. My Suikoden I constantly had Eileen getting killed endlessly for like ten battles before I managed to have a win. Ridley has the Two River betrayal, his failed scouting mission and the Tinto pains. Suikoden II has Lulu since nearly everyone hates him. Suikoden IV has Snowe and Peck, with Peck again in Suikoden Tatics. And nearly everybody at some time or another has had Belcoot die, fate really doesn't like these guys eh?
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Peck, definitely. With a crazy Brandeau near him, it's no wonder he got killed in the few seconds he had in Suikoden IV.
Fudozukushi

1081894 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always wondered why the assassin had a portrait in Suikoden IV, and until I read theirstar I never knew Peck's story. In fact Peck's story for some reason makes me want to pick up the game.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

don't foget about hugo's bestfriend lulu. at first it seems like he would be there for the whole entire game but when he gets killed you'd never expect it.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ridley did get insanely lucky with critical hits when his unit is surrounded by the Highland army, on some playthroughs, he can take out about 6 units.
Eden

Private Godwin Army

564676 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You are right, Wes. I hated it always when Ridley alone defeated almost every single enemy and when the reinforcement came we fled... How dumb!
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I never saw Boris, because since Ridley is my favourite character I could never decide to choose the path that leads to his death... :(

The Fool
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did see Boris once though, but only once. I was curious to know what will happen if I run away with Nanami, and I got to see Boris on that event. Just like Eden, I didn't want Ridley to die so I just loaded my file (which I conviniently saved just before running away) and continued on with the story, with Ridley still alive.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
I did see Boris once though, but only once. I was curious to know what will happen if I run away with Nanami, and I got to see Boris on that event. Just like Eden, I didn't want Ridley to die so I just loaded my file (which I conviniently saved just before running away) and continued on with the story, with Ridley still alive.

Thats probably what most do, it's a really stupid decision to make anyway.
Fudozukushi

1081894 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah Boris' stats are slightly worse and he has evade instead of Critical, since damage is so random something like Evade is worthless compared to a one-shot hit.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I went through, I didn't know that this Boris kobold took over for Ridley in that Tinto choice, so I just restarted. I had kinda though that that was it and I wouldn't be able to get all 108, especially not with how my meeting with Georg went. He sounded like he wasn't going to be interested in joining up later anyways.

~Uguu!~
Fudozukushi

1081894 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He still does, it's still kinda cool to do the abandon part just to see Georg Prime kick ass for the first time.
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone forgot Arshtat, Sialeeds, and Ted. Of course for Arshtat we knew that she was going to be killed some 7 years before the game came out and for Ted we already knew that he was very tragic, but Suikoden 4 compounds that with him spending hundreds of years on a ghost ship in a deep depression.

I'm going to have to the list out to the whole Falenas family of Suikoden 5.*SPOILERS* The tragic pasts that Arshtat, Sialeeds, and Hashwar share about their mothers and the feud over the throne of Falena and all what happened after that. Then Arshtat dies and then Sialeeds dies not to mention the after effects it might have on Freyjador and Lymslelia*END SPOILERS*. Hopefully, Lymslelia doesn't go crazy or whatever. It seems that whoever ascends to the throne in Falena experiences bad fortune.

Of course these are tragic storyline characters and don't have much impact on the battle system of the games. A more on topic character for is from two as well it is Hannah. For the years I have been playing Suikoden 2, she is always the one getting hurt and finally she died the other day in the first battle at Northwindow. The first character that has ever died on me in any of the games. Gilbert has been a problem as well, but he never died. Its is just hard sometimes keeping him alive and obtaining him as character. I guess I should include Freed as well in this list, but only as a problem character he also has never died.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden Five had it in for Gizel and that's all there is to it. You can say that that's because he was the villain all you want but keep nin mind that he was being led around most of the time by his father. Gizel tried to do what was right and you could tell he was hurting from Sialeeds. But Fate just kept kicking him while he was down.

I never had Belcoot die btw. However, Eileen did die on me constantly in Suikoden 1.

I've also never seen Boris because Ridley is among my favorite characters. I've never run away from Tinto and knowing what I do now, I never will.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: