Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Information about the Genso Shinsho books...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Information about the Genso Shinsho books... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hi,

I've heard about the Genso Shinsho books and would love to know more, specifically:

-how many there are? Does Konami keeps releasing new ones, or is the series ended?

-are they heavily-text based or plenty with pretty pictures? Would a purchase be pointless for someone who can't read Japanese?

-How many in this community had a chance to read them? Is there a full translation available somewhere, or is all the info scattered around?

-is there a particular issue that you found to be more interesting than others? Do each issue cover a specific game/theme/topic?

-and basically anything else you know about these books and would like to share with me. Thanks! ^_^
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Information about the Genso Shinsho books... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gremio wrote:
Hi,

I've heard about the Genso Shinsho books and would love to know more, specifically:

-how many there are? Does Konami keeps releasing new ones, or is the series ended?

There are 16 volumes, and they stopped making them.

Quote:

-are they heavily-text based or plenty with pretty pictures? Would a purchase be pointless for someone who can't read Japanese?

Heavily text based, but there's a lot of art. However, most of the art from the shinsho can be found on the netm such as at theirstar.

Quote:

-How many in this community had a chance to read them? Is there a full translation available somewhere, or is all the info scattered around?

A full translation is not available and probably never will, because a lot of the content is boring and repetitive stuff. The most meaningful parts have been pretty much translated by suikosource. Only a few people have had the chance to read them because not many suikoden fans outside Japan can read Japanese.

Quote:

-is there a particular issue that you found to be more interesting than others? Do each issue cover a specific game/theme/topic?

They tend to be pretty random. Each issue tends to have one or two special features focusing on certain types of characters. One issue may focus on the Highlanders, while another issue focuses on "Middle-aged fighter types." However, there's no standard, and some issues don't have any special feature and just focus on covering a specific game (such as before Suikoden IV's release).
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, thanks Vector... Or should I call you Blue Moon? :?

Anyway - I assume the Suikoden novels have nothing to do with the Genso Shinsho books? Or were these novels (of which I know nothing about, except for the fact that they come up with a canon name for the heroes) serialized inside them?

Finally, can someone provide me a link with cover screenshots for the whole Shinsho series and the novels too? That would be great! :D

p.s. I forgot - did they give any explanation for ending the series? Around which time was published the last issue?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The novels are separate from the Shinshos. They are separate publications that are compiled through different publishers.
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, ok, I should have guessed that.

Say, how these Shinsho books were structured - it was 100% Official input from Konami, or had they some reserved space for fans comments and artworks?

I guess what I'm asking is if they ever acted as a sort of club for the Japanese fans (with a mail column for example) or if they only were a sort of in-depth guide to the series...
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was both. Mainly the magazine was put together by Konami's sales side who get input from the genso suikoden team. However, because of that their information hasn't been 100% reliable. Konami's sales/marketing branch typically knows very little about Suikoden because it's not a highly marketed product within Konami (compared to other services, let alone games).

All this resulted in low quality, and typically out of 100+ pages you'd only get 3 or 4 pages of information that's worth getting excited over (and in later volumes, there were times where there was nothing at all worthwhile).

The magazine had a fanart portion where fans can mail in their own fanart and send in comments. They had a question / answer section, but it was very small and not consistent. Some very important discoveries were made through the Q & A section tho.
Gremio

147007 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks - you sparkled my interest enough, so I'll buy the first volume I've seen on ebay, just to have a look for myself.

Apologies if all of this had been answered before. ^_^;
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: