Suikoden Ugly and Informational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Language controversity *spoiler*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nice to see you around again Blue Thunder!

The origin of the names in Suikoden seem to come from all over our globe and I think its always fun to decipher for ourselves which names are of what descent.

I personally think Simone Verdricci is italian because the last name denotes an italian influence. The double c is pronounced like a ch, which is very italian. However his first name is Simone which implies a french backing, but B beleive Simone is both the italian and the french version of Simon.

Japanese has a fair share of names derrived from their culture. Yun, Yuiri, Rikimaru, Nanami, Wakaba, Yoshino Yamamoto, Mizuki and Gijimu all come to my mind. I may be completely off base because I really have no proficiency with asian derrived names but they definitely sound japanese in speech.

Russian has had its share of names, Miklotov, Nabokov, Viktor (I beleive that is more Romanian, but Russia has a huge influence on their culture in history), Konrad, Nadir, Sergei, Igor and Tov all appear Russian to me. Also there were a few predominant men named Nicolas in russian history, but the name could also be french.

There are plenty of French, italian and german names as well. There are a few rare birds from lesser european nations. Oskar and Helmut are Scandinavian. Agnes and Barbara are greek while Kevin, Trishtan and Kate are gaelic in descent. Hanna, Noah and Levi are hebrew names used in Suikoden. And the Welsh chime in with Rhett.

Quote:
As for French, I can think of Luce and Lyon. Luce meaning "light" and Lyon being a city in France. Or is Luce Italian? I forget...

I beleive this is a derrivative of Lucille which originally is French, however the if name is pronounce Loose it becomes Latin in derrivation. In the off chance it is pronounce Luchay (I have seen single c's become ch sounds before, I cant place on now but it has happened) it would be italian. But I beleive Luce is pronounced Lucy, or thats how I pronounced her name.

The New Armes ethnicity can be debated but we have little to go on. What we see of Armesians is few and far between. We have Maha Sparna and Jidan Guisu who both wear turbans and have a distinct middle eastern appearance. Even the moustache on Guisu is modeled after the arabian stereotypes. If you look at the full picture of Jidan and Sparna they both wear the pointed shoes again of arabian descent. However you then run into Sharmista, Nifsara and Shula who appear more of Ottoman decent with their less arabian clothes and more turkish style. Sadly Josephine has shunned her homeland culture for more colorful fashion, however I find the Armesian fashion more appealing that the couture french look. No offense to the couture lovers out there ;) (Its acctually sad I even can distiguish Josephine's dress as couture, haha) So it is hard to assess the truer background of what New Armes is really based upon. I would think its safe to say it is of Middle-eastern/Turkish descent though. I mash of the two cultres. We know New Armes has several "tribes" and perhaps Jidan and Maha's are more arabic while the Shula and his compatriots clan is more Ottoman.

I think it would be a nice twist to see some native american names, more slavic or norse names in there too. I don't recall any Indian names being in the SoDs or otherwise. I might be wrong but only Raja really sounds Indian. One could contest Zaj because of the ending being in the letter J, but the name is not at all common in Indian culture. I looked up Zaj in wikipedia and I got a Spanish band so, go figure.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: