Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Avatar/Signature Image Size Rule Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1138266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, and it would force the board into using those ugly horizontal scrollbars which, I'm sure, almost everybody hates. I agree that the 200 height by 700 width for banners is a bit on the large size. I like the added height, since it allows for more customization when it comes to creating banners with a screenshot. trying to get a 100 pixel high banner of something from, say, Lord of the Rings, is a nightmare considering the aspect ratio, but it's doable with a limit of 200 pixels.

As for the new avatar size, I think it's a great addition, though I don't see myself taking advantage of it in the near future. If possible, I'd want to keep any of my future avatars at the dimensions I currently use.

Fliktor, I don't think Icebergin has gone missing, per se. I see by the location in his profile that he is on an "aimless journey" so, maybe he's just taken a detour and will turn up again sooner or later.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will deal with overly large signatures if I have to, but i refuse to deal with horizontal scroll bars. Nothing irks me faster.

If I can avoid both, I'll be an even happier camper.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Well, look at Njord's avatar. That's a rectangle. Doesn't look too bad!

I noticed :s it's worse that it's actually funny because I still feel compelled to look at it, while another half of me want's to re-size it for him :( But I'm trying, I just swapped my square avatar for a rectangle one. We'll see how long it lasts. I keep looking at it wanting to change it!

Quote:
Fliktor, I don't think Icebergin has gone missing, per se. I see by the location in his profile that he is on an "aimless journey" so, maybe he's just taken a detour and will turn up again sooner or later.

Lol He said he has lost interest in many a console games, but wanted to be back on the board; he came back for a bit, but left again.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
KonRei

The Sharingan Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i think i'm fine wtih my siggie that i made.......^_^

Today's angel are tomorrow's devil...fear it, live it, die with it... -Kon Rei
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fliktor wrote:
I noticed :s it's worse that it's actually funny because I still feel compelled to look at it, while another half of me want's to re-size it for him :( But I'm trying, I just swapped my square avatar for a rectangle one. We'll see how long it lasts. I keep looking at it wanting to change it!

Hehe, rectangle isn't that bad really, and yours look kind of all right, maybe it'll look better if you make it a little bit larger in size.

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I think that 700x200 as a maximum limit is fine. Quite often I make signature images that are 300x200 and I would like to be able to make similar ones to put here. Square-ish rectangles make awesome looking signature images. I also think that a 700x100 signature image is acceptable and doesn't look too weird. 700x200 on the other hand IS cumbersome, overly large and ugly.

So I propose that you keep the 700x200 dimensions, however I think you should introduce another maximum of 60,000-100,000 sq pixels. That way people can have a 700x100 banner (or 600x100 if you go for the lower end area) and people can also have 500x200 (or 300x200) but massively big 700x200 sigs are not allowed.

I think 150x120 is quite acceptable for avatars and any within that should be allowed. Personally I like 150x100 avatars, but 150x120 allows people to have 120x120 or 120x80 size avatars, too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is a remarkably good idea! I would be able to handle the taller images if they weren't so wide, it's when they're large in both dimensions that it becomes irksome. I do prefer longer to shorter, but, well, any compromise is better than a flat out 700x200 allowance :)

I would still prefer a 150 height restriction to 200, but that is merely my opinion only.

If I may suggest, if we go by Saben's suggestion, that we make the maximum dimensions 70,000? Thus, 700x100 or 350x200 or anything in between. If the max heighti s to be cut to 150, then, well, I don't feel like doing the math in my head. Something between four and five hundred by 150, in any regard. That sounds fairly reasonable to me.
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd prfer to make the rules simple. It'd be hilarious to see someone make a signature image that is 70000 x 1 pixels. Multiple restrictions can be difficult to enforce because it can be easily misunderstood, but I will think about it.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm agree with 700x200 for signature. I've been make it. See! Its size is 700x100
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I think what Saben and then myself meant was more that the maximums of 700 width and 200 height would be maintained, but that there would also be a maximum total area as well. Thus while you could have one that was tall it would have to be more narrow, or a wide one that was not as tall. Both at once is hard on the eyes.

Calupict, your's isn't bad. It's that nice happy 70,000 pixels I mentioned. I think I could bhe happy with seeing people have signatures that size.
Calupict

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Calupict, your's isn't bad. It's that nice happy 70,000 pixels I mentioned. I think I could bhe happy with seeing people have signatures that size.

If a member have a signature that big, it will ruined the border, and yet it's not good to see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well now, that just thows everthing off the balance for me. I got to make all new piccies for myself. (but i can't part with my current sig image)

any way, what fine types are allowed? well some browzers I know can't view Tiffs or PNG happly, but "thats the users problem"/

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1138266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

kuwaizair wrote:
any way, what fine types are allowed?

I would recommend you restrict the file types to either JPG, GIF and maybe BMP formats. Basically, any file type which can be viewed universally. I haven't tried to view PNG or TIF files recently, and I use Netscape primarily, so I'm not sure if they show up properly or not.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calupict wrote:
Quote:

If a member have a signature that big, it will ruined the border, and yet it's not good to see.

Erm, I am confused by your post. I was saying your signature is fine. It's 700x100, or 70,000 total pixels. That certainly did not ruin the border for me, nor, I imagine, for yourself. It's also flat enough that it's easier on the eyes and less wasteful on space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: