Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why all the hate towards Jowy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ray Grievous wrote:
I thought he killed Annabelle because Luca Blight threatened his family?

Excuse me if I am mistaken, or if it has been aforementioned.

--Ray

No, unless there has been some information released that I'm not aware of, I don't think Jowy was thinking of his family. When Jowy tried to go home, his family sold him out. So I assume they abandoned any knowledge of him being their son.
Jowy stated he envied Luca's power when he met him. The reason he killed Annabelle could of been for his own life, as well as him being able to get into power. I agree with Black Pesmerga, and that Jowy had too much power for him to handle. He's reasons maybe noble, but his path wasn't. Jowy's realistic, he made mistakes, and like most people in his position, he lost sight of what he originally wanted to do.

The Unforgiven

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i personally didn't hate him at all, but he could've informed the hero as to why he even fell in love and couldn't join one side. :cry: poor jowy i have sympathy towards him
KratosJudgement

Hell Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I though Jowy was awesome he had the better rune of the team but he couldn't survive a battle againest Luca Blight without Riou's healing powers.
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jowy is a caracter that or you hate or you love. You may love him because you can understand his point of view and his devotion to end the war, even with methoods that was not that effective at all. Or you can hate him because he was an insecure bastard who never looked to himself and said "I can do it" but merely keep saying "I wish I was strong like (Luca, Riou)". Anyway for me what actually saved Jowy was the fact that he sacrificed himself to contain the beast rune, and even being insecure sometimes he managed to make smart moves.
Valec

Maniacs with Hammers

1947 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jowy was the sheer epitome of awesomeness... Him and Futch( Suikoden III version) were my favorites in the whole series. The reason he looks so bad is because he was an antagonist... and Shu kept owning Silverberg in strategy. I would have rather played as Jowy than Riou... Riou was a bit... Odd. I didn't much like his fighting style or his clothes. That dang headpiece, man. Jowy owns Riou on so many levels... The only reason he lost is because he was weakened by holding back the beast rune.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Jowy was the sheer epitome of awesomeness... Him and Futch( Suikoden III version) were my favorites in the whole series. The reason he looks so bad is because he was an antagonist... and Shu kept owning Silverberg in strategy.

Actually, It was mostly Jowy's fault that Leon's strategy failed when it did. Shu was able to run circles around everyone in the Highland army except Leon Silverberg, who was handicapped by Jowy's inability to fight against Riou effectively. Don't get me wrong--I really like Jowy. In fact, if anything that reality evean further endeared me to his character.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i kinda hate Jowy....
eventhough he knows how powerful his opponent will be, he should try and defeat him though, instead of helping out because he is amazed of Luca's power...
he got the power of the Black Sword Rune and the power of his friends too...
so, why didn't he try at least??

he sucks... :x
Angelic_Psyche

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't want to make anyone mad, but to me Jowy is the perfect representation of a coward.

Not only is he disillusioned by the world but he never wants to put in any real effort in trying to change the world. He sided with Luca because Luca was winning; he was the easy choice. He could've stayed with Riou and helped build up the resistance, but instead gave into the system because he felt weak. And the method he killed Annabelle also displays his weakness; he ambushes her in her bedroom where she is not entirely on her defense and was also in the middle of drinking alcohol.

He works his way up through the ranks being Luca Blight's yes man and allows himself to work alongside Rowd though the man destroyed his life. Then he marries Jilla not because he loves her but because he knows when Luca dies (and he knows he will) he'll have all the power Luca worked so hard to achieve. And of course Luca does die, but by Riou's army's hand and Jowy does get all that power he didn't earn. Peace should be the next way to end this war, right?

Wrong. He allows himself to be swayed by what people around him say and he betrays Riou and Nanami in an even more brutal way than his murdering Annabelle did; he ambushes him in the middle of a faux peace conference. He claims all throughout the game he wants a world where children like Pilika will never have to suffer again. The fighting could've ended there but he decided he wanted ALL the power and more people ended up dying!!

Then of course it all blows up in his face and he doesn't even have the grace to tell Riou he's sorry. No, he takes the coward's way out by attacking Riou just after the final battle in some futile effort to get Riou to kill him. But is that what was really going on? Even up to those last scenes Riou and Nanami wanted Jowy back. I believe deep down Jowy KNEW Riou didn't want him dead but continued to goad him to shift responsility from him. His own way of saying 'none of those people I killed matter to you'.

And his ultimate show of uncool: he abandons Jilla and Pilika, whom have nothing but that large house in Harmonia.

I liked Jowy. Right at the beginning I liked him more than Riou. But he's not someone to be admired. He uses the pretext of wanting to create a better world to cover up how much of a coward and a scumbag he really is. If Riou and Nanami did not love him as they did he would've ended up the same as Luca. Hell, with all the lives he ruined he could be the same!! I dislike him more than I do Luca.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dragonstar13 wrote:
Ray Grievous wrote:
I thought he killed Annabelle because Luca Blight threatened his family?

Excuse me if I am mistaken, or if it has been aforementioned.

--Ray

No, unless there has been some information released that I'm not aware of, I don't think Jowy was thinking of his family. When Jowy tried to go home, his family sold him out. So I assume they abandoned any knowledge of him being their son.
Jowy stated he envied Luca's power when he met him. The reason he killed Annabelle could have been for his own life, as well as him being able to get into power. I agree with Black Pesmerga, and that Jowy had too much power for him to handle. He's reasons maybe noble, but his path wasn't. Jowy's realistic, he made mistakes, and like most people in his position, he lost sight of what he originally wanted to do.

Jowy originally assasinates Anabelle because Luca threatens to kill his whole family, this and with his account of the City-States meeting a few days before, showed Jowy that Highland would be able to control the land more efficiently. Leon Silverberg agrees and the rest is history...

(Alot of the sideplot is uncovered in the Suikogaiden series, which was unfortunately only released in Japan)
NeonMouko

Fierce Tigers

116367 Potch
419 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The information about Luca threatening Jowy was in SuikoGaiden Volume 1, chapter 2 when Nash infiltrated the Highland camp outside of Muse's borders. Luca threatened to kill Jowy's family if he didn't comply. He even gave Jowy the knife to use on Anabelle.

I always liked Jowy. I felt so bad for him and I could see why he did what he did. He saw the bickering, arguing heads of state at the meeting at Jowston Hilltop and thought to himself that there was no way there could ever be peace in a situation like that. Essentially, he felt that it all had to be under the control of one person - otherwise, everyone'd just bicker and be petty.

... He seemed to forget that there are dictators, but I imagine he felt that it'd be fine if he was that 'one person'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: