Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Godwin's Law

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Godwin's Law Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just looking at theirstar.com and i saw something interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law Hmm i wonder if the the developers knew this or its purely coicedence...
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, that's interesting. Godwin's Law does appear to be true; just look at the "Godwin or Barows" thread. And it's certainly true when dealing with the Godwins of Suikoden V. It seems quite possible to me that the gamemakers knew about this when selecting the name for the Godwin family. Surely they must have known that the main villain being a genocidal nationalist with hopes of creating an authoritarian state by exploiting the current rulers would spark Hitler-related discussion.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My friend, Wiki wrote:
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

How intriguing. The Godwin family may have surely been based from this. Quite frankly, it would apply to us as well. Simply mentioning the Godwin's (specifically their goals and plots) would lead to what the Godwin law does imply...

It's the little things in Suikoden, isn't it? :D

Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh man, this concept has a name? My friends and I have always agreed that if we got into a debate or argument, whoever made a Hitler analogy would automatically lose. "Godwin's Law", awesome.

The idea that Godwin's Law might have been the inspiration for the name Godwin isn't bad. I can't think of any other historically significant Godwin's after whom to name the antagonists, but then I'm quite historically ignorant. They were definetly taking their reign in a fascist direction, particularly the racial cleansing element, and when politically sanctioned racial cleansing comes up in discussion, Adolph and co. are certainly who most people think of.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm...the law is basically saying that the first guy that made a "Hitler analogy" will automatically be a loser? Hmmm..who won the Barrow's vs Godwin's first analogy to Hitler? Did that guy lose?

The fact is that when Hitler and Nazi is used as a comparison, SO LONG as the fact that we are not raising such a point irrelevantly, the discussion need not run in circle, get OT'ed and meet a premature end.

In any case, am I the ONLY one to NOT see how this is suppose to relate to the Godwin Family?
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I suppose it's because there are a few similarities between them:

- One "Pure" Race
- Belief in a strong military
- Questionable tactics
- Uses force and agression to solve problems

Theres probably more, but egh...
Baggins

Brotherhood of the White Wolf

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I think this whole discussion is meaningless, and to bring it up and keep harping on it is just a Nazi-ist attempt at bringing people around to one's own... awwwwwww, crap. I lose...

:wink:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hold on, there seems to be a misconception here. Godwin's Law does not necessarily state that when a Hitler analogy is presented, the presenter of the analogy loses. The law is this:

Wikipedia wrote:
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Nothing more, nothing less. Godwin's Law in and of itself does not necessarily mean that all Hitler analogies are irrelevant and/or bad form. No judgment is passed on the appropriateness of such comparisons. There are certainly some instances in which Hitler analogies are appropriate, such as the Godwin family itself.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
There is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress.

Not officially part of the Law, but mentioned by association.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm...in any case (I am sure I didn't misinterpet heh heh) the fact is that this law have very very little to do with the Godwins we know in Suikoden 5.

Hitler and Godwin might have SOME similarities but Godwin and Godwin's Law is like....completely unrelated IMO.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rainrir, that's not necessarily true. It's possible that the game creators took this into account when deciding what to name their family of genocidal nationalists. I'm not saying that they certainly did, simply that it's possible. And even if they didn't, it's a fun coincidence.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm....? :? Ok. I guess it can be so, there is another famous suspected royal-family killer/plotter in the annuals of English History, I think his name is also Godwin. He was the Earl of Wessex...I think and the maternal grandfather of Edward the Confessor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: