Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Originating from New Armes (speculations)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent Vingerhut

Knights of Rass Will

156581 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Originating from New Armes (speculations) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Could it be that Shin and Zamza originate from New Armes. This is largely based on their Arabic costumes which resembles most of the New Armes characters in Suiokden V. However the most common weapon of New Armes as mentioned in Suikoden V was the spear and neither Shin or Zamza uses this weapon. Also Zamza is mentioned to be a drop out from a magicians academy and perhaps this academy is located in New Armes.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's certainly possible. Zamza's origins are unknown, while it is said that Shin comes from the "Southlands." Seeing as there is no region called the "Southlands," we can probably assume that it's a relative term encompassing some of the countries to the far south of Dunan, which would definitely include New Armes.

However, New Armes is a decentralized nation made up of warrior tribes; it doesn't seem like the kind of place where one would find an academy of magic. However, the neighboring kingdom, Nagarea, is a theocracy, and thus probably has a level of centralization that would make an academy of magic more likely than in New Armes. And not only is it a theocracy, but a militant theocracy. It seems likely that such a nation would probably have quite a holier-than-thou (and here holier applies in a literal sense) attitude. If that attitude permeates the culture of Nagarea, then that could help explain why Zamza is so snooty. And Nagarea is certainly close enough to Armes for the dress to be similar; in fact, I think that Eresh's clothes are said to be Nagarean, and they are quite similar to those of Zamza. So, while Zamza might be from New Armes, I think it's more likely that he's Nagarean, or at least trained at a magic academy there.

As for Shin, there's really not much we have to go on. The phrase "Southlands," when spoken by a resident of the Dunan region, is so incredibly vague that he could be from any number of countries. The fact that he doens't use a spear might tip the scale slightly against New Armes, but that's hardly conclusive proof that he's not from that region.

EDIT: Just a quick update: I just checked the Geography section of this site, and the Southlands indeed refers collectively to the countries far to the south, without specifying any in particular.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's remember the rather simple rule about Suikoden V information please!

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It seems the NEW rule is to make sure Axiose is totally unsurprised by anything in the game by the time of it's European release. :P

It's possible, of course. There are a few small issues like the exact cultural influences used to design New Armes and those used by Shin and the like not being exactly the same but I'm willing to consider it something to chew on.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But there is also some kinda flaw in that arguement...especially the idea of using CLOTHING style to determine where someone is from.

I mean...look at Kasim, Raura, Hortez XIII(was it 13th?), Shin and Zamza....they all wear the same Arabic/Middle Eastern/Indian/Egyptian style clothes...somewhat. Even though I feel that Hortez is more....Aztec in his clothing.

The people of Nagarea...we only saw on representative...and it is Eresh. There are too many inconsistancies about her character (her age, her magic powers, her insistance to not show any skin) to make an accurate assesssment of her origins (if she is really from Nagarea or not) and the general clothing style of Nagarea(she only represents the priests).

The people of Armes we have more characters to evaluate with...we have Nakula, Shula, Nisfara, Shamista, Jidan and Maha to base our assessment with. The feeling I get is that they are more of an INDIAN design then Middle-Eastern/Egyptian/Arabic.

However the biggest problem with the CLOTHES-tell-the-story, other then people can change clothes easily..is that some locations seem to have similar clothings as the places we generally ATTRIBUTE a clothing style to.

Just look at that dessert town in S3..Calmeria is it? They look Middle Eastern as well....
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Just look at that dessert town in S3..Calmeria is it? They look Middle Eastern as well....

Caleria, owned by Harmonia, bordering Grassland.

We see that often times the clothes do have a determinance and are a reflection of the home in Suikoden. Often times that is the case. Similarly we see that those with last names are important political figures (Salum Barrows, Marscarl Godwin, Flare En Kuldes, Skald Egan, Christ Lightfellow, Snow Vingerhut) and often same hair color denotes a family lineage. Things like this are common in video games and have shown true in various parts of the Suikoden Series.

I don't have much experience in the subject of the two characters mentioned but I think there's a strong chance that the southlands would be in reference to New Armes or Nagarea. Falena had a name so it wouldn't have been Falena, otherwise they would be from Falena. The only other conclusion we can make is that Nagarea and Armes are called the Southlands. We may also want to consider that when creating the looks for the characters in earlier games the artist may have been different and they may have not been planning on going into depth on the "Southlands", dividing it into Armes and Nagarea.

I's say based on what I've read that it may be possible for Shin to hail from Armes and Zamza hails from Nagarea. Though, this is completely speculation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: