Suikoden United and Illegal Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

A Strategy for Survival
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That whole "tricks of the trade" thing was just to emphasize the fact that you could take them on individually with no problems at all.

Trust me, friends, I'm getting somewhere with this. Unfortunately, to get the desired effect, I can't really elaborate much more than what has already been said. But so far, I see some really good answers, so keep up the good work. I'll let this thread linger for a bit longer before explaining things.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think what makes it a bit hard for us to really analyze properly is that the opponent seems to be a mixture of fantasy and real instead of either fantasy or real. With that in mind, I keep on going back and forth on whether any of the 5 could revive the fallen comrade or not, or how many hits do I need to take out a certain opponent (like mentioned before, if able to kill the mage with 1 hit, then I'd take the tank out first rather than the mage), or even whether they always move in groups or not, etc.

Too many unknown factors involved, and it's not your fault (you can't really give every single possibility of what might happen if so and so, Ced). It just makes it a bit harder to analyze properly. But yeah, I'm looking forward of what was this all about.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, come on Bugg!!! I don't want you or anyone else to get super-hyped up over something as little as this :lol: It's nothing big, so I hope you're all not expecting some sort of grand party or something.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What's been said is that people don't want to take out the tank because he requires the most energy to take out....I'd like to clarify, Ced's original post said that your one free attack can take out whoever you choose. That seems to mean you'd have just as much energy after its done no matter who you choose to take out. That's why the tank is probably my favorite choice.

And Ced: The longer you don't tell us what this is for, the more we'll get hyped up about it :)
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wheee! I heard there is going to be a big finale to this battle!! I can't wait Ced! I know you won't let us down! :srcsm:

Ced the Lad conclusively wrote:
Due to your lack of energy, you only have enough strength to cast this spell once and severely incapacitate one member of the enemy party. The rest is needed to fend off the remaining attackers and retreat for another day.

Now the question is, which of those members will be the one you cripple to have the best chance of survival and why?

As KoRnholio pointed out earlier, the question was who you were going to incapacitate to have the best chance of retreating to fight another day.
Since you are trying to run away you only have to worry about those that would be able to catch you, or reach you over a long distance.
The possibilties:
Leader- Only above average in everything, so you have a decent chance in running from him/her.

Speedster- Would definitely be able to catch you, but the attacks wouldn't be that strong. Could slow you down enough for the others to catch up to you. A wild card to be sure.

Mage- If this person has some long distance attack spells then they would for sure present the most problems to you. Especially since your energy is running low. One good casting and you're finished.

Tank- Not going to catch you. I'm positive. :roll:

Strategist- Unless this guy has some tricks up his sleeves, he is not much of a worry if you are running away.
All I can see him doing(barring unknown trickery :shock: ) is giving orders for the mage or speedster(or both) to kill you or slow you down.

Running being my objective, I would definitely go for either the mage or the speedster, because those are the only two that would be able to reach you over long distances.

I personally would go for the mage, since he can cast deadly spells over long distances...but I'm assuming this.
Barring that, I would go for the speedster. :)
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KoRnholio, I posted about the tank needed the most energy to kill (and might not even get killed) before Ced edited his post to mention about us able to kill whoever we wanted to in that 1 free turn. So I changed my reason for not going to the tank because he was not a threat to me. As I've mentioned before, I believe that his slow speed would be the biggest advantage that I have over him. While he could protect one of his allies, he wouldn't be a threat offensively at all because I would be able to avoid his attacks. And if he dares to attack, he'd leave his comrade wide open for me to attack as well. So it's fairly safe to assume that his only role is to defend and protect the other allies, one ally at a time.

Now if I go for the tank and not be able to finish off the mage with 1 hit, the mage could keep on healing himself and we'd just be going nowhere. Or worse, the speedster and leader could help on buying the mage some time and the mage could heal AND cast supporting spells on the comrades as well, making the battle harder and harder as time goes by.

So I still go for the mage first because with him out of the way, I know that for the next battle, the following would most likely happen:
1. The leader still being versatile and doing all the things.
2. The speedster doing the same speedy stuff.
3. The tank would be protecting one of his allies, most likely the strategist.
4. Strategist would have to make a 4-man combo attack instead of a 5-man combo.
And what the biggest advantage of having this is that they would not be healed (meaning that if you hit one of them constantly, he would eventually die), and they would not be getting stronger and stronger (meaning that you wouldn't receive more damage or dealing less damage that would draw the battle longer and might drain your power quicker).

And greenunderground, I think Ced's point about retreating to fight another day emphasizes more on "which one to kill now so that your next battle is going to be easier?" rather than "which one to kill now so that you could run away properly?" though achieving the latter would be a bonus. I mean, if you run away and the speedster decided to find you and eventually manage to catch up with you, it's just going to be one on one battle and you'll win. So it's safer to say that they are working and moving as a group. Meaning that even if the speedster finds you, he'd have to go back to inform the others (while you run away again) to let them catch up as well.

But yeah, of course that's just me -___-;;

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bugg conjecturally wrote:
And greenunderground, I think Ced's point about retreating to fight another day emphasizes more on "which one to kill now so that your next battle is going to be easier?" rather than "which one to kill now so that you could run away properly?"

Well, if that is the case then, I would then agree with you Bugg that you would have to kill the mage first.
Since he can heal(and possibly ressurect) members of his party, he needs to be eliminated before the others.
To back this up I will point out boss fights in suikoden that if you eliminated the healer first, the battle was way easier than any other way you could fight it.

If you don't take out the right paw of the Beast Rune(Suiko2) first, it will keep resurrecting the parts you do kill or healing parts that you damage. Thus drawing out the battle and making it a real challange to defeat it(without ubered up characters--like rune stacking).
The same goes for the Wind rune beast in Suiko 3. If you don't take out the healer part of the body the battle takes that much longer, and possibly you run out of hit points before the Wind Beast does.
There are more examples, but I think my point is made with these two.

When dealing with a foe with a balanced party and many skills, taking out the healer/person who resurects makes the fight much more difficult/impossible for the enemy to revive comrades and heal their wounds.
Taking the mage out of the equation allows you to do damage that will 'stick' with them, thus making it possible for you to get ahead in decreasing their HP, and closer to winning the battle. :)
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

If you don't take out the right paw of the Beast Rune(Suiko2) first, it will keep resurrecting the parts you do kill or healing parts that you damage. Thus drawing out the battle and making it a real challange to defeat it(without ubered up characters--like rune stacking).
The same goes for the Wind rune beast in Suiko 3. If you don't take out the healer part of the body the battle takes that much longer, and possibly you run out of hit points before the Wind Beast does.
There are more examples, but I think my point is made with these two.

In the first Suikoden, one of the dragon heads can resurect the others.
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are plenty of good responses her, so I'll go ahead and spill the purpose of the question.

The question was asked to my psychology class around a week ago. The majority of my classmates are male and female RPG players, that would typically understand these types of questions. Professor Aronu, the person who asked the question, is also an RPG game player. He asked this question which sparked different kinds of answers among the class. In the end this is what he said (These are my notes).

The question, itself, is related to life in general. When you go through life, you find out how hard it is on yourself. It's even more difficult if you're trying to face the world all by yourself. Thus you need the assistance of others in order to have an easier time through life. Though you are a very strong warrior, you were just overpowered by teamwork. That's the way it is in life. Now that's pretty obvious, and a professor doesn't need to tell you that, but it gets a little bit more complex than that.

This enemy you're fighting is a group. The group knows each other and like groups today, each has a specific purpose. The strategist, leader, magician, speedster, and tank are symbols of the type of people in groups today. Your answer should dictate which is more important to you or have the most respect for.

Leader - This is the type of person that is not afraid to accept responsibility. People look up to this person because they are able to perform tasks that no one would ever dream of having. Think of this as something like the class president who has all the duties assigned and has everything planned out.

Tank - In some groups, there's a type of person (usually a guy) that serves as some type of enforcer. If you know someone that takes different forms of martial arts and excels at it, this is the category that he/she probably belongs to. Girls can also be tanks. They are usually aggressive and know martial arts as previously mentioned. No one wants to mess with the group because of that one (or two) tanks hanging around them. Tanks don't have to be big. So long as they're seen as a source of power.

Speedster - Do you have some sort of friend that's full of youthful energy and spunk? That's the speedster. They aren't shy and they're extremely outgoing. They don't worry about too much and just have fun in life. People admire them because they can put smiles on anyone's day and make them happy. They are a source of positive energy.

Strategist - Wisdom is something others admire as well. If you have a friend that is well learned in many aspects of studies, then this is their class. Their intelligence is their strong point, and they usually share their skills with others. Basically, this is the person that gets all the good grades, but is modest about it.

Magician - The most widely picked class in Psychology and suikox.com. The magician is the friend that you go to provide emotional support. If you have a bad breakup, you usually seek this person in order to vent your feelings. They won't only listen to you, but they will sometimes go out of your way to make sure that everything is alright. When you need "a shoulder to cry on", this person is likely the owner.

As I said, we all picked the magician, but then something happened. People started wondering about the other classes and their benefits. In this site, we also had some debate as to consider the magician the most important. Before the class could begin to yell at each other, the Prof gave us the rest of the story.

He used the word "survival" because it's an open ended word. The question had "retreating" as an option, but all of us questioned whether we could survive by running away. The way "survival" is used, is exactly the same concept which life is. There's no real meaning. If someone said "Live a good life" does that mean give to the needy (thus feeling good about yourself) or make as much money for yourself and your family (which still makes you feel good about yourself). Life is what you make out of it. You're supposed to live it the way you want to because there's no directions. However, no matter how you live your life, you need others to guide you. In the end we argued which class needed to be taken out because ALL of them are needed in our lives.

There's no way to gauge life, but when you surround yourself with different personalities that make you happy, none of that matters. So I hope everyone is establishing friendly relations not only with your nation, but the rest of the board as well. In the end, we are all better people because of what we learned from each other.

So that's the reason for the question itself. Even though I gave away the reasoning, anyone else can answer it if they haven't done so yet. Thanks to everyone's participation.

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That is an interesting parallel to life as we know it. It makes you stop and think of how we go through life, I appreciate your question because it puts thinds into perspection.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, wasn't something that I expected at all. hahaha, but it's all good. At least now I know why. =D

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Baka

Fallen Gods

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would attack depend on the situation. Be Flexible.

Things I would consider (not based on anything):
1. My condition
2. My ally condition
3. My foe condition
4. The location.
--Forest may be an ambush/trap
--Desert may be an ambush/trap
--Mountain area could be a trap
--Others
5. Others
--Our goal
Is it to win or to retreat? Survival?
--Their goal
Is it to eliminate us or to buy time? Could be to survive?
6. Morale
Morale is very impt. in battle. Try to persuade/taunt enemy with low morale.
Morale could always be used in a strategy, enemy with hig morale could be taunted and trapped. Low morale could be persuaded but becareful for mice could turns into a lion when its life is being threatened.

I think this is few things that should be considered during the battle. Sorry if I do not answer the question or it's out of point...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: