Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Heros relationship with their Family & key Friend

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Can you relate to the Heros relationship with their Family & key Friend?
Yeah, my family is great, my friends are questionable at times but normally good.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Somewhat, my friends are just fine, but my family is a pain.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Not at all, family relationships should be changed in the game, and friends should be more evil.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: The Heros relationship with their Family & key Friend Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After playing 5+ suikoden games, the main characters always have a great relationship of love and respect to their parent figures, there is also normally a great friend with the same type of relationship to the Hero that cause them hardship or betrays them.

So far I see very little wrong with the constant great friends sometimes enemies relationships, I'm sure everyone can relate to the ups and downs in a friendship as it produced some of the greatest characters and storylines(Jowy, Ted, Snowe, Lulu, Saileeds) But as much as the great parents and heroes seem to make such ideal families, I find it very hard to relate to while I envy the wonderful relationships they have in my own life.

I'm not about to start bitching about my own family relationships but in the suikoden stories, every parent figure have been respected by the kids and everyone around them(Teo, Genkaku, Wyett, Lucia, Glen, Walter, Arshtat, Ferid) because they are such good people. Even though they are sometimes a bit hard on their kids, these characters are always respective, patient, and affectionate toward them. I guess the obvious reason for such great relationships is that the storywriters want you to feel bad when something terrible happens to the parents(it did for everyone except Lucia), is there any other reason why these situations keep on coming back again and again?

I personally don't know anyone under 30 that has a relationship based on trust and respect with their parents. I guess it could also be an old asian family respect thing, but nowadays asian families are no where like that. Just as my heart gets all warm from seeing the wonderful families like the one in V, I can't help but snapping back to reality and recall the last thing I was just bitched at about by my own parents 5 min ago...

Since we assume his role, isn't it about time that the parent/child relationship for the hero become a bit more relatable for the kids of today?
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'm 21, and as a child I never had a big problem with my parents. Sure, there were fights, but overall we did trust and respect each other. That being said, I believe that while many of the parents may have had good ideals and morals at heart, a lot of them didn't do so hot of a job in the end.

Tir and Teo's relationship was based on trust and respect, however they ended up fighting each other, and Tir even killed his own father! I wouldn't say that Teo was patient with his son, as at one point I believe he even said something like "He's an enemy of the Empire now," or something to that effect.

We don't know about Suikoden II, as Riou's adoptive father is already dead--and while you can assume they overall had a good relationship, you can't really define that relationship further. Afterall, who wouldn't feel remorse and regret and their parent's death, and therefore refrain from saying too many bad things about them?

In Suikoden III, the technical Tenkai Star, Thomas, had a horrible relationship with his father. Hugo had a good relationship with his mother, however it wasn't as you describe, as throughout the game he is given several options to distance himself from her (when you are given choices to say "get off me!" etc.). Chris never had a chance to explor the relationship with her father, as Wyatt didn't even tell her until right before he died. I would hardly call that typical fathering, and would go so far as to call it borderline irresponsible.

I don't remember enough on Suikoden IV and Suikoden Tactics to comment on those games.

*Spoilers, Highlight to Read*

In Suikoden V, while Ferid seemed to be an excellent and caring (albiet strict) father, Arshtat was at several points under the influence of the Sun rune, causing the whole family to have to tread carefully around her. In the beginning of the game, if you question her, she yells at you and invokes the power of the Sun Rune. I don't think that makes her the greatest mom in the world, although to be fair, its not her fault completely. Also, she kills Ferid, her own husband. Again, not completely her fault, but still. In fact, I kinda of feel sorry for the Prince because his family is dysfunctional as hell in my opinion. His mother kills his father, His younger sister fights him on the battlefield, and his Aunt betrays him, which nearly results in the death of the only other person he had to confide in--his bodyguard and friend. Regardless of each of their reasons, they all put a heavy emotional burden on the Prince, which piled higher and higher as the game wore on.

*End Spoilers*

Anyways, I would hardly say that Suikoden has been filled with parents who have been respectful 100% of the time.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there is still very strong evident that every single story so far setup the parents as about the best they could be to their kids, yes there were issues but the love, respect and affectionate is always there

Quote:

I wouldn't say that Teo was patient with his son, as at one point I believe he even said something like "He's an enemy of the Empire now," or something to that effect.

Teo never forced he own believes on his kid even though he was willing to die for it, he never saw his son as disobedient or pulled any rank on Tir while they were having a major conflict, and he was truly proud of his son at all times. I think that's pretty good when Teo knew that was the biggest event of both their lives.

Quote:

After all, who wouldn't feel remorse and regret and their parent's death, and therefore refrain from saying too many bad things about them?

There were nothing but respect any time Genkaku was mentioned as Riou and Nanami were both very happy and grateful for their lives before the start of the story, there really wasn't the slightest sign there any issues in their lives.

Quote:

Hugo had a good relationship with his mother, however it wasn't as you describe, as throughout the game he is given several options to distance himself from her (when you are given choices to say "get off me!" etc.). Chris never had a chance to explor the relationship with her father, as Wyatt didn't even tell her until right before he died.

I give you Thomas, but his character in the game was the guy who had no family but was able to unite others, the fact his father was not a good person was more to show his own great personality than anything else. Hugo did have a rather plain relationship with Lucia at times but that's because she was a hardass, even then she never really controlled her son very much(unless you read the manga) and was very protective of him without forcing Hugo to do exactly as she say. Wyatt always thought of Chris' well being and she had high regards for him even after she found out he did kind of abandon her, yeah he couldn't see her for obvious reasons but were both top on each other's minds.

In IV Glen didn't really show any favoritism toward heroIV but basically took good care of him and taught him all his good values in life. Walter trusted his son enough to include him as a part of his own life, respect his choices, and they were never shown to have had problems. In V, the hero's parents both seem a bit distant toward him to me, but they definatly showed their love for their son in many ways and heard his inputs despite the fact they were the highest official of the country with much experience while he's only been on a few minor missions...

Without getting too picky it's really hard to argue that any parent figures so far have less than great values, which is a source of the trust and respect, but when is the hero gona have an average fend for themselves just to stay alive or an even lesser parent figure to have personal issues with like kids in real life?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: