Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

April Fools! Sorry!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: April Fools! Sorry! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, first of all, I apologize for this year's april fools! However, to make an excuse, three were two good reasons in making it sound like this site shut down for good. For one thing, I wanted to test the database and various PHP scripts at an environment where there are no visitors whatsoever. Second, I wanted to help out theirstar.com with recruiting new members, because it's pretty important to have more Suikoden fansites, and I've been truly enthralled with theirstar.com owner, John Layfield's, passion for the series and the quality staff he has assembled for his site.

However, I also learned something a lot more important, albeit unexpectedly. I realized how suikox.com is important for many of the visitors. I have received numerous e-mails about whether suikox.com shutting down is true, and I've read meany messages on how people will truly miss the site. Now, as pretty much a "control panel operator" at suikox.com, I rarely interact with members, let alone visit the numerous community forums set up by other administrators. Typiecally, my role is nothing more than that of an administrator, or as the executor of site rules. I suppose I really did not understand how the community here at suikox has matured into something more than a simple "message board community." In that sense, this april fools prank I pulled on everybody also surprised me.

I have been running suikoden-ralated sites since 2000; back when I started I was just starting my career and had plenty of free time. Now, my time has become scarce, and the thought that "I am too old to be running a video game site" often cross my mind. I am thirty years old, I have huge responsibilities at work, and I have other things I wish to do with my life besides spending my weekends doing maintenance for a videogame site. At least, that is what I felt.

However, now that I've seen what this site means to a lot of people, I've come to realize that this isn't just a videogame site. The fact that people have gathered here due to their appreciation of Suikoden is only a minor detail; a mere footnote and a coincidence in terms of this site's nature. That's what I learned from this prank, so thanks for the experience; I honestly apologize though for the deception.

A number of changes will have to take place for suikox.com though. There are some logistical problems with the site that must be resolved. There are some structural changes that need to take place, along with a few other changes. Of course, that doesn't mean the site will shut down or anything, and the community along with the "nation system" will continue. I hope you'll all continue to visit suikox.com.
Alseid

The right King of all bastards

4938 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, well, that...sucked.

I did enjoy trolling a bit, trying to poke some sense into those who did buy it.
Yes, I feel guilty about it.

That said, I really doubt many of those who went all exodus to theirstar will stay there for long. Most will likely ditch their accounts and come back here.

All the way to the edge of this world

Last edited by Alseid on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's safe to say that Suikox, and the relationships formed here, are pretty much an addiction. I, personally, have never expected to be as regular a visitor as I've become. Hell, I never thought I would post upwards of 1,000 posts, let alone nearing my 3,000th post as my activity levels at forums elsewhere are minimal to moderate at best.

So if the brief downtime will help solve some problems the place is facing, then it was well worth it.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

About all that stuff I said at theirstar, I was just kidding. You know that, right guys? ;)

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good joke! Acheron and I figured it out after a few moments of panicing. After I got out of the SAT today, I realized that it was April Fool's day. Which is good because I didn't get any good pranks today. . .

Funny one, Sars.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believed it for a couple minutes and was really upset. I'm okay now though.
Pierrot Le Fou

Rain Dogs

37957 Potch
0 Soldiers
196054 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That was awesome!
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Congrats, Sars. I congratulate you on getting TheirStar more members. Although I do think some of the April Fools newbs will be gone by tomorrow. :/

I never expected me to be so happy to see the Falenans at TheirStar when Suikox was closed. I, like Elc, never thought I'd be so attached to the friends I made here addicted to this site. >_>

I almost said "I never though I'd be so addicted to the firends I made here." xD Awkward...

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sage wrote:
About all that stuff I said at theirstar, I was just kidding. You know that, right guys? ;)

Awww. Now I've got to calm down the mob!

*puts down pitchfork*

You're no fun, Sage. :(

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Breeze

Whispering Winds

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I figured out it was a joke when I checked the URL of the "Yahoo" message. Seeing the file was named "test.html" or something such let me know it was a joke. That, and the fact that another forum I go to was doing a joke extremely similar to this also gave me some insight.

Still, it was a good joke. Once I figured it out, I was smiling my head off. Before then, I just terribly confused. I do agree with Alseid, though -- I think most accounts at Their Star at going to get ditched now, which is unfortunate because it looks like a good site (one I would join if I knew I'd be active; but I don't manage activity at this one, so...).

What do you think are my strengths and weaknesses?
Rune Walsh

Order of the Gelid Wind

105159 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

haha, i knew it XD I made an april fools joke 5 minutes before visiting the site about a pink floyd revival to a pink floyd fan, my beliefs were reinforced after making a visit to gamefaqs who also did an april fools joke XD but still, the look on the face who fell for it must have been priceless

Tired of beating up invading aliens? Call Dad and get some rest!
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wait how much does Yahooo know about me? they collect info and use it? I figured it was a joke and a ploy to move the server. I've seen many sites go down. lots of sites I go to did stuff, you, neopets and vgmusic. vg's was silly, 24 dollars a month for a premiumum account and unlimmeted midi listening, VIP forum access. you'd of done that to I think...make suikox a site one needs to pay for an account at.

but yeh its a home on the net this site. pass the torch if anything happens.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the better pranks you've done SARS. Very nice.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, go check theirstar, I've been saying it was a hoax all damn day. I did enjoy being an unknown among you guys for a day though. Through all this I gained a new respect for Layfield though. I like his site and I like how relaxed the atmosphere is. Thanks to this I'll probably go become a regular there too, however I do have to ask him about changing my username.

I also figured out that it was a hoax by checking the URLs btw, I PMed Layfield about it and we had a good laugh. I will say this though SARS, if you ever do that again you can expect to see me in Ohio with a machete.

With that said, how are you going to beat this prank next year? Suiko gaiden 4 perhaps?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I assumed it was an April Fool's prank, since it was never really announced anywhere by Sars that it definetly wasn't. I'd been thinking about joining Their Star, so this gave me the time to do so. Though I found it strange how much Suikox had seemingly become a regular part of my everyday life, and how much the idea of losing everything gained here annoyed me.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: