Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden V underrated/overrated characters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoonn

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Faylen is underrated. Sure, she's not the best long-range character in the game but my Faylen deals 1000 dmg and often 2000 because of her criticals.

Zerase is a little overrated.. but she's unstoppable if you give her a magic absorb rune. I stopped using her because she took the challenge out of the boss battles. ;b
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What is Chain magic i never heard of it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chain magic is the skill in sorcery formation. It lets you do the same magic attack consecutively after the first attack, and it doesn't use up any extra mp.

I would like to say that I just got Nikea. Goddamn. Not only is she hot, but she's strong too!

This game has so many great characters I don't know who to use :(
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I second the Faylen comment. She was a mainstay of my party through most of my 1st playthrough and dealt oodles of damage (Double-edge + Drain runes) Not to mention that her blade boomerang looks damn cool. She was replaced in my 2nd playthrough cos I wanted to try out Cathari.

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

hawkthanatos wrote:

Well it's wasteful because short rangers are the characters that take all the hits so it would be more useful to have better speed on Mathias by equipping lighter armour than being slow but well defended. It's not a weakness since you don't HAVE to equip heavy armour but I think it would be more useful on an S ranger.

Ahh, I understand what you're saying. Indeed, it would be more useful to have the ability to equip it on S range characters. I like to think of it as a benefit in that it gives you a bit more freedom when you're trying to make more than one party. Besides, an M ranged tank is always nice with certain formations.

I'm running around with Josephine now and am about to head to the first ruins with her. Let's see how she holds up hehe

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Alarice

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
Josephine is a REALLY underrated character in my opinion.

I agree, her magic is pretty good but she tends to get overshadowed by more significant mages such as Zerase, Viki, Jeane, etc.

I believe Shigure is underrated. I've mentioned this several times in other posts that I believe his combat capabilities rivals even Richard's. Plus he has two free rune slots which gives him so much more potential if you give him the right runes...
Swordsman from Kanakan

Organization XIII

19053 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me. . .
Underrated - Belcoot!!!(He has that insane Falcon Rune!)
Eresh/Levi(They are strong Mages!)
Overrated - Zerase. . .? A little. . .
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Belcoot isn't underrated. In fact, he's actually great, and one of the best characters in the game. Same with Levi and Eresh.

I second the Shigure comment, as well. He's such a uberly quick character who often gets some good number of hits.

As for underrated? Why haven't I seen the name Killey around here?

Killey, in my opinion, is part-Zerase, part-Cathari. He has good speed, a great attack damage, and a very useful Rune. I've noticed that, Killey will do EQUAL damage with a Lvl. 4 Rage spell with Star Rune lvl. 4 Spell. Final Flame has 200 more damage than Meteor Shower, but it becomes even because, well, it's Zerase.

Also, while Killey may not have the best defense around, he is great, even with only the Rage Rune. He also tends to hit criticals, like two out of every three times.

That is why I believe that Killey > Zerase.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Belcoot is good, but it was definitely not because of his Falcon Rune. Compared to Kika's, his rune was downgraded pretty badly.
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Swordsman from Kanakan wrote:
For me. . .
Underrated - Belcoot!!!(He has that insane Falcon Rune!)

i don't see how you can say that when a lot of people use him a lot.

underated: sagiri. haven't seen a lot of people post that they use her. but she is in fact a great long range. give her the rune where it gives you a continues attack and she is set. since after all she hits a lot in one turn.

overated: can't say i can think of an overated character at all.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
tenton

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
Chain magic is the skill in sorcery formation. It lets you do the same magic attack consecutively after the first attack, and it doesn't use up any extra mp.

Chain Magic is also Viki's unremovable skill; does the same thing as the socery formation, except it's not automatic, but can work any time Viki casts a spell (goes up to SS, IIRC). I remember using Viki against the last boss, with a Rage Rune attached; she nailed the final boss three times in a row with double the spells (Final Flame + Chain Magic is nice, especially when keeps happening)...I was probably lucky with that, though (I don't think there was much of a boss left after that).
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy wrote:
hawkthanatos wrote:

Well it's wasteful because short rangers are the characters that take all the hits so it would be more useful to have better speed on Mathias by equipping lighter armour than being slow but well defended. It's not a weakness since you don't HAVE to equip heavy armour but I think it would be more useful on an S ranger.

Ahh, I understand what you're saying. Indeed, it would be more useful to have the ability to equip it on S range characters. I like to think of it as a benefit in that it gives you a bit more freedom when you're trying to make more than one party. Besides, an M ranged tank is always nice with certain formations.

I'm running around with Josephine now and am about to head to the first ruins with her. Let's see how she holds up hehe

I'd just like to point out that S range characters are actually useless in certain formations like "circle" and having Mathias with heavy armour is actually beneficial, if not required, in that situation.

I think Isabel is worth being mentioned morae than she has. Although in terms of strength, technique and evasion she might be weaker than George her MDF more than makes up for that. Also, she uses weapon defense frequently and can be a reliable lone S character who can survive physical AND magical attacks.

**** HERE COME THE SPOILERS IN BLACK! ****

An example would be against Alenia and Zahak before and after the raging nostrum is taken as she was not hit once due to weapon defences against their attempts to hit her. Also she can deal out pretty good damage when equipped with the proper runes and has both skill slots free.

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Over-Rated: Everyone's raving about Viki and I never used her. She's probably a good character but I go with who I think looks cool. Anyone can generally be good in battle in some role, least that's my thought. I didn't use Belcoot particularly either.

My party normally have Levi or Zerase waiting in the wings to add magic when I needed it but I liked having the Island Trio, Prince(duh), Bodygaurd(Miakis or Lyon) and another character like Georg or someone I was leveling.

Under-Rated: Goesch! I really liked using Goesh in my game. Again, I use characters based on their character design and make them useful in battle and Goesch can be made into quite the little tank. Not like Georg but he did decent damage and was very in dealing with random encounters against groups of enemys.

Logg was a lot of fun to use in combat. He didn't have the best accuracy ever but when he was in the lvl50's or so he had something like 430 Strength. I don't remember exactley but during the plot developing stages of the game before you get your permenant residence, Logg was always in my party, often with Lun for their Unite which wasn't too bad. It made sure that Logg hit when he attacked since Unites don't miss.

Alhazred was a decent mage for me but I kind of pushed him asside since i had that covered by Zerase and to a lesser extent Levi. He had the aptitude to use the Condemnation Rune though which is surprising and I liked to use him since his weapon was books. "Knowledge is power!" I would say before he attacked my enemies, watching them writhe in agony. Dramatics aside I liked using him because he was unique and was good for what I was using him for at the time.

The Dragonhorse Cavalry seems underratted to me because no one's mentioned them. They deserve mention because they give you two strong characters with each paring. To make them really good you attach a balance orb to the Dragonhorses and that stops them from the status they get after their Unite with their riders. It meant I could do my unit every turn with them and really hammer it into my enemies. I enjoyed it since for a while I didn't think there was any getting around the fact that they would become unbalanced. Cool though.

The Island Trio(Bernadette, Yahr, Nellis) has been mentioned very little, too little. I tried to have them with me at all times when I was fighting. They looked cool so they got in but it was really great to have two characters that could hold down the back line in Bernadette and Nellis, both with Magic Drain and various other high level runes. Yahr made a good point man when I needed one but I found the best use for them was in the Crane Wing formation where you have two spread far apart in the first row (Georg and Yahr), two medium distance apart in the middle row (Prine and Lyon) and two standing side by side in the center of the back row (Bernadette and Nellis). It was a great formation for me and was cool that it didn't hurt me really to put it this way unlike other formations where your defense shoots real down just so you can use the special attack. I donno, Island Trio was good.

I'll try out new characters when I get to the point in my second playthrough. I'm looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swordsman from Kanakan

Organization XIII

19053 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:mrgreen: Hehe!
Peace!
I thought only few people use him. . .
Thanks for using the "Swordsman from Kanakan"
luc skywalker

6783 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: help please!!! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just want to ask everybody, Where is that Big Hole that is supposed to be the hiding place of Levi?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: