Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

1up pre-review in someone's blog

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: 1up pre-review in someone's blog Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1up preview in someone's blog:

Quote:
Suikoden V: The Irrelevant Parts
posted at 03/12/2006 10:37 PM ESTI have a review copy of Suikoden V I'm playing for 1UP, and I'm about 20 hours in. Now, the piece of paper in front of me detailing the embargo says "Feel free to preview the game as much as you like, but reviews are embargoed until March 21st." So here's a pair of notes and impressions on the game that are far too trifling to go into an actual review or affect a score, but I want to note down anyway.

The positive one is that Suikoden V is one of those rare RPGs you can play with one hand. It keeps things basic, down mostly to the "confirm/deny" buttons, and so if you choose, you can play the whole game using the left analog, L1 for confirm, L2 for deny, and Select to bring up the menu. Mind you, the motors in the Dual Shock make holding the controller with one hand a little awkward and heavy after a while, but there you go.

The negative one is how damn often Suikoden V rearranges your party -- frequently just for cutscenes. It's scrupulous about making sure who's actually in your party reflects who's supposed to be in your party at every given moment. So if you have three non-royals in your party, say, and you get to a cutscene where only the royals can enter a room, then three of your party members will leave first, one at a time. You'll get the noninteractive cutscene where you will have no chance to bring up a menu or get into a battle. And afterward, the three guys will rejoin, one at a time.

Not only is this tedious, it plays hell with the formation system. Suikoden V allows you six party members at a time again, and this time you garner a whole bunch of ways to arrange them, some of which confer various stat bonuses in return for putting up with the unusual formations. But when you're constantly losing and regaining party members, this throws your carefully arranged formation out of whack, and you'll have to redo it. Over and over.

It sucks, but like I said, it's a minor kind of suck -- it's like if I was a restaurant critic and they put too much ice in my glass. I might shortchange the waiter on the tip in return, but I wouldn't hold it against the establishment in a review. Consider this post the equivalent of short-tipping the Suikoden team, I guess."Sounds encouraging?(http://debaser.1up.com/)

poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, it seems like he's enjoying it. Hopefully, 1UP will be giving the game a good review. I'm really looking forward to Tuesday just to see all the reviews!

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is making me want the game better hopefully the reviews make the game more popular
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zaj

The Lone Gunmen

31884 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, yeah, sounds nice. And they've gone back to the feeling of the original games by allowing it to be played with one hand again too, awesome! (This has nothing to do with Jeane, I swear). And I'll just have to see for myself how annoying that rearranging stuff is, let's just hope they'll fix it if they'll continue making Suikoden's.

Let our mercy, as deep as the Feitas, and our authority, as powerful as the Sun, be revealed to the entire World.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: