Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Japanese version impressions thread (NO spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb, those complaints are cool and all, but aside from the supposed cookie cutter characters, I don't think any of those are game altering. I've played many many rpgs with bad load times, and from the videos of SV I've seen, it's nowhere near as bad as those. I have played rpgs with VERY HIGH random battle rates (SMT anyone?) and they didn't ruin the game experience at all. The camera shouldn't be that bad either as it's an rpg and it's not like you fight gazillion enemies on screen. Far from opinion altering.

So once again, the main complaints with the game are trivial. Just because a character is cookie cutter doesn't mean they can't be likable. DQ8 has some of the most cookie cutter and cliche plot devices and characters ever and it also has a lot of charm. That charm makes each character GREAT despite they're character types we've seen before. Hell, how is NOT possible to create, in this day and age, completely original characters? Thus, I must say, that point is pretty moot until I play the game for myself.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Again, downplaying. I'm trying to really reinforce that those problems are going to make or break opinions on the game. I left out the nitpicking, trust me.

Quote:
I don't think you're one to talk, when you made almost the exact same comment. >_>

The whole point was that I already used it. Hence "NO U" (hell, hence the word "comeback").

Quote:
So, if you don't mind doing some more explaining... How are the strategy battles and minigames? Those are the things I've heard the least about so far.

Ever played any of the Ogre Battles? They work like that.

I have not had any hands-on with minigames yet.

Last edited by Leb on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
atahualpa

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

atleast now you stated the ingredients to your thesis, although, they are not all entirely fact based.
we will all interpret your "problems" differently. what bothers you may have no affect to someone else. so while it is nice to share your opinion with us, don't force it on us either, as most of us here have yet to play the games ourselves, and a game where we can understand what we are reading and listening to at that.
but in a months time, most of us here will finally have a taste of Suikoden V and give it a fair judgement.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As if my judgment is unfair because it's unfavorable.

My statements are going to reflect that of the layman; not the fan. This is what reviewers are going for when they give complaints in reviews-- of course an opinion will differ with that of, say a longtime veteran of a series, but the whole point of a review is to tell it like it is to a neutral party.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Naw, not really. I can take any complaint because I'm not THAT much of a fanboy. If I was that much of a fanboy I would deem Suikoden IV a great game, but to me it isn't. It's that most of those problems are purely technical and personal. They won't drive everyone insane that plays the game. If I can play Chrono Trigger psx and not mind the load times I can play this. If I can play SMT and not even notice a supposedly high random battle rate, I won't mind this. If I can love Dragon Quest VIII's plot, characters, and so forth and call it my rpg of 2005, I won't mind this.

Yes, I would bring these problems up in a review of mine, but they most likely wouldn't be deal breaking. As long as the gameplay, music, and plot balance out the problems then it's really no problem.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, I forgot about music. The music is terrible in most cases.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, really? Well we'll see Leb. Since you like Dragon Quarter, you MUST have good taste, so I'll think of your opinion whenever I get it and address them in a month. Kay?
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The composer gets bonus points for coming up with a town theme as unique as Haud's, but I can't agree with the use of Suikoden II's "pre-battle planning" theme as the main war theme.
bbsting120

8553 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for giving us your detailed take on the game, Leb. Seems to be the same things around the board so far, and I still maintain that the good i've heard far outweighs the bad, but I suppose I can't say for sure just yet.
I'm still quite perplexed though as to why so many people find the large towns and tons of exploration to be a BAD thing. Maybe just the camera? But from the videos it doesn't seem all that bad. I dunno...
And I agree with Himuro that most game characters ARE somewhat cookie cutter, but if a fresh spin is put on them or if the cookie-cutter mold is executed well it doesn't matter.
fc_conn

Campione della Fiamma

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So, you don't like the music.

Too bad. I found it the best in the series yet.

EDIT: Oh Leb, are the naval battles like Ogre Battle as well, or just the land-based.

And thanks for re-opening my topic. I appreciate your understanding.

Last edited by fc_conn on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Viewtiful Mukumuku

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:

Quote:
I don't think you're one to talk, when you made almost the exact same comment. >_>

The whole point was that I already used it. Hence "NO U" (hell, hence the word "comeback").

Quote:
So, if you don't mind doing some more explaining... How are the strategy battles and minigames? Those are the things I've heard the least about so far.

Ever played any of the Ogre Battles? They work like that.

I have not had any hands-on with minigames yet.

Ah, okey.

That should be interesting... Haven't played too much Ogre Battles, but I didn like what I played.
Gaspars_apprentice

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My only jibes about the game at this point seem to go along with what other people have said: the frequency of the loading times is a bit of an annoyance, especially in dungeons where the encounter rate is rather high, and when it takes a while to load up each battle.

No one's seemed to comment on the music much, so I feel I ought to briefly. The world map music is a great piece of music IMO. It's a pity the encounter rate is so high you don't get to hear much of it.. The music in general has an authentic Suikoden feel to it and is definitely not as subdued as it was in IV, which is a good thing. In short, I've enjoyed the background music I've heard so far (battle music, towns, boss music) and its definitely added to my experience with the game.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The world map rate is high? In the video I saw, Hero walked for a good 10+ seconds without an encounter. In SMTN it's about every 3-5 seconds.
melange

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the slightly irritating thing about the no changing camera angles is at some points the game DOES automatically change the camera angle to allow you to see in SOME CASES... the question is why didn't they implement it in a way that would allow you to change the angle on your discretion like in Wild Arms? Its not often but I do find myself missing that flexibility at times...

Anyway the characters may be cookie cutter in some cases but I still find them quite compelling and am really enjoying how they are setting up all the relationships and tensions so far. I'm only up to Stormfist but I'm liking most of the characters I've been introduced to. Tho.. Childerich, Salm and Euram creep me out... each for entirely different reasons :mrgreen:

"The waters of the Faytus River are cold, you know..." ~ Miakis
Anyone else notice that Lyon's weapon = overglorified switchblade?
LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I think the game is good, although I love it to be changable camera angle like SIV. other than that, I belived this Suikoden is the best, maybe slightly better than SII. But thats my personal opinion...What do you guys think? 8-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: