Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Akira!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Akira! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just watched Akira on DVD last night. I remembered watching it on AXN, but the last half hour of it. Man, it was a very unwise decision of me to eat noodles while watching. I was getting naesous at the climax. But when i saw the same scene again, it wasn't so bad.

So, were you guys able to keep your stomachs from churning at the most graphic part of the movie?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I watched Akira without any problems with it. IT is one of the oddest movies I have ever seen before but all in all I thought it was a very good movie.

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I first watched Akira when I was 9, and I was eating a jam donut at the time...not a wise move.

But I watched it the very next day and was fine. I think it's the initial shock of it, because at that time, there was never anything like that (in my realm of movies) but it opens a whole new world of movies after that. It also de-sensitizes you to pretty much everything else lol

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're right about the desensitizing part. Even though when i was 8, i was watching Saint Seiya and remembering people being burned in lavas, arms getting cut off and stuff, and it didn't bother me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was a bit sickened out when I saw that part... urf. Good movie and stuff, just arrrrgh.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As I said before I loved Akira but for graphic violence I found Ninja Scroll much more graphic. Akira's graphics are more in the realm of total weird out factor which is part of the appeal to the movie.

The Reborn

314452 Potch
100 Soldiers
44 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I was watching it, sure I was grossed out, but I couldn't figure out what was happening to him. Never really got a chance to ask anyone either. Would anyone bother explaining it? What was all the stuff coming out of him..?

Sup?
Esra

Guardians of Ilam

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

When I was watching it, sure I was grossed out, but I couldn't figure out what was happening to him. Never really got a chance to ask anyone either. Would anyone bother explaining it? What was all the stuff coming out of him..?

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'm guessing it was his body- growing out of control due to 'god's power' or something like that that started to make his body grow all over the place...
Thats about as much as I can get out of it for now. I need to watch the movie again.
Stormbringer

Astramaniacs

158943 Potch
225 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I first saw the movie when I was about six or seven, and was emotionally scarred afterwards. The most disturbing part for me at that time was when his body was going nuts and the girl was inside of him...and yeah.
I recently saw it again with my friend and my sister, and I can say that it didn't seem as bad the second time around.
Did anyone else notice that the characters constantly scream each others names?
And at the end of the movie, did they die or did the children go off to another dimension type thingy?
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, i'm somewhat claustrophobic, and being crushed inside someone's body by their muscles is very disturbing. I know what you mean Stormbringer.

The shouting thing doesn't seem to be stragne to me. It's done in other animes, but most people tend to use that

" Kanedaaaaa!!!!!"/"Tetsuoooooooo!!!!!!"

bit a whole lot.

As for the kids disappearing, keep in mind that they got a whole lot of the energy that Kay (is that how it's spelled?) described. You know, about the energy that all things have and leads to evolution. Well, no one knows what exactly happened to those kids and Tetsuo, but an educated guess would bring me to say taht they were disperesed throughout the universe. Hence, the very last scene, you see the little speck of light and all and the last words: "I....am....Tetsuo...."

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it is Kai.

well, i watched on a day i was suffering from food poisoning. it didn't cause me to feel any more nauseated - i guess i'm old enough to know it is "just anime" so while it was a bit disturbing, i am in no way scarred or sickened by what i saw.

i'll have to watch it again to understand it, and i might as well - i own it!
Stormbringer

Astramaniacs

158943 Potch
225 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well starslasher me and my friend just so happened to be _very_ high on caffeine and it was approximately 11 p.m. when we watched it, so the whole thing became sort of a joke-ish thing, to keep us up through the movie...you're probably right about the energy thing though. It's interesting to think about how this movie has human evolution set up and the limits to that power....of course that's just me trying to be profound :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: