Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Never enough

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Never enough Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden games seem to be coming out at an (almost) satisfactory rate lately. But I want more. I'd like them to create smaller spin-off games, like the Nash series. Only, instead of quick little forays into the Suikoden world, these games would take a more in-depth look into the lives of the second-string characters of the previous games.

Look at Nintendo's Mario series. Mario gets his own game every couple of years come hell or high water, but recent years have seen Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, baby Mario/Luigi, and even Princess Peach getting their own (very fun) games.

The Suikoden games are obviously in a very different position. Just taking the six games' 108 stars (648 total), taking away quite a few that overlap and the main characters who already had their stories told, that still leaves, say, 400~450 characters that we could learn much more about.

Give Jeane her own game. She's been mysterious long enough, let's hear her story. Or how about Yuber? Pesmerga? Those two could have a game all to themselves. You all can see where I'm going with this. I'd like it if Konami used some of the "overlooked" characters to fill gaps in the continuity. These games would be developed more toward the handheld market, something to keep us satiated until our next epic war.

It doesn't have to be serious, even. I'd like to learn more about the Howling Voice Guild as much as anyone, but part of the charm of the Suikoden series has been its more... quirky characters and events. With that in mind, here's the game I'm pitching:

Genso Suikoden: Hai Yo's Kitchen

After the Dunan Unification War, Hai Yo decides he wants to open a restaurant. Not just that, he wants to run the greatest restaurant in the world. To do this, he will have to find a good location, hire talented chefs (the chefs from the other games) and wait staff, find suppliers of ingredients (the fishermen from other games? Deals with shady merchants?), create new recipes, and attract customers all while keeping his old enemies in the Black Dragon Clan at bay.

Now that I come to type this out, it seems just as complicated as a normal Suikoden game. Headquarters, character recruitment, mini-games, and battles with enemies. I had originally envisioned it as a series of mini-games connected within the context of the story.

For example, picking a location — while not a mini-game — would affect other gameplay elements. Accessibility, for one. The types of dishes the locals prefer, for another.

The mini-games would involve cooking meals using different ingredients and preparing them in different ways to create new recipes. Another would be the Iron Chef competitions against the Black Dragon Clan like in Suikoden 2. Another could involve management issues like keeping your employees happy, ordering enough supplies, or appeasing unruly customers. Another would be attracting customers by creating ads or hiring entertainers. And so on.

It wouldn't be as linear as the other Suikoden games, and you can see how it could get pretty hectic running the place. But that's life in the food service industry!

Your ultimate goal would be to become the best restaurant in the world, and a ranking would keep track of your popularity, eventually reaching #1.

Or, I just thought of this, the goal would simply be getting through the story. After you beat the game, however, you can continue playing it until you become #1, when... something... happens. I don't know what, but something.

Anyway, that's my pitch. Anyone else have an idea for a game along these lines? If so, post it! I'd love to hear what we all can come with.
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That does sound very fun. However, the Suikoden cult following needs to grow before it can be compared to that of the Mario games.
Kanes_Inferno

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Camus the Noble wrote:
That does sound very fun. However, the Suikoden cult following needs to grow

That statement says it all. Sure, we can all think of tons of great ideas for different Suikoden games (or spin-off games) but it would essentially lose Konami money. They'd spend more making and bringing them here, than they'd make. Why take a lose? It's a horrible move for any company. Suikoden, while it's popularity seems to be growing, isn't near to the level (in terms of fanbase) as say Final Fantasy. Sure, Suikoden games hold a special place in my heart (and IMO are better games) but a lot of American Gamers wouldn't jump at a "Suikoden Spinoff" but the second they see anything with "Final Fantasy" in the title, it'll fly off the shelves. It's sad but true. So, have fun and speculate...and create cool ideas, but the chances are extremely slim. Konami wouldn't bring us the Gaidens or any form of Spinoff games until the fanbase grows some more (if it does).

I'm more than happy with the current rate, it seems like getting III,IV, Tactics, and now V in a pretty short span. I'm pleased and don't want Konami to do anything that might ruin the chances of us getting future games in the series to see the light of day here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kind of like a "Don't talk about it too loud and always knock on wood!" sort of a complex...
I seriously doubt we'll ever get the first two Gaidens, though I think we have a good chance of getting any future ones now. Rhapsodia was a sort of Gaiden, after all...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We are evolving you know, I'm sure that no one thought that we would have 9 Suikodens at the time of Suikoden 1. Suikoden is growing, I know it will never become a Final Fantasy since the game is a continued story and each game depends one the last one (or the next one) but Suikoden has potencial and Konami know about this. I think Suikoden V will be a test for Konami because it going to be realesed at the same time Final Fantasy XII. I think Konami is going to work more in Suikoden if it sells good enough, they will see if Suikoden can compete with Final Fantasy.

We may never have games like Suikoden Party or Suikoden Tennis like the Mario series, but we can easily have a strategy game, but strategy games are better for PC. With the size of the Suikoden story we can just create "sidequests" and make a game out of it. Like a game of the Tinto X Grasslands war, the Higheast Rebbelion, the first Fire Bringer War, the war Barbarossa fought to create the Scarlet Moon Empire and I'm just talking about wars here. We can create a game of other things in the Suikoden world, like how Neclord stole the Blue Moon Rune, or a game about Yuber and Pesmerga become enemies.

Suikoden Warriors would be a great game you know, like Dynasty Warriors. Imagine you being an officer of some of the nations, and then go killing soldiers and other offices, and we could have cavalary, archers, kangakorn, people with fire spears and True Runes.

I think is funny to see normal characters doing things they would not normally do, that's why the Mario games are so good. Mario is a fighter, a tennis player, a golf player, a fighter again (Super Smash Bros), a RPG character and then he is in a Party with this friends (and enemies, Bowser plays too you know). That is funny to play, it looks like the characters were actors in the game and they have a reali life you know, it's like Mario and company were just acting in Maio 64 and they are friends in the real life and get together to play tennis or golf. Imagine a game were Riou and Luca Blight play tennis and talk normally as never ever happened between them. This make you like the characters even more, this way they look like one of us real people, you know, a Mario could easily exist. Actually I think I saw Mario the other day in the beach. :)

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mario is not used in these games as a way to expand the Mario world. Mario is a mascot. He's put into every single game of Nintendo's that is appropriate to do so. If the game is meant to be a romp in a fantasy-ish world of some sort with traditional Mario elements, Mario gets put into the game. Mario is incredibly generic and really has no defined personality for a good reason. He's like the silent sports mascot in the suit.

Nintendo has a franchise character for almost every kind of game out there. Link and Zelda are for fantasy adventure, Samus is for sci-fi adventure/first-person action, Fire Emblem characters are for role-playing/strategy in a fantasy world, Pokemon are... well, Pokemon. Nintendo does a great job of promoting its characters better than its games. You can go up to anyone on the street and show them a picture of Mario, and they'll know who he is. People call any video game system a "Nintendo". Who here doesn't know who Pikachu is?

Now, show someone a picture of Odessa, Flik, Viktor, or even Cloud and Squall from the Final Fantasy games. Most people will have no clue.

Comparing Suikoden characters to Mario is like comparing apples to oranges.
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with you. I was not comparing them I just said Konami should take Nintendo as a example.

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, I'm not sure if you can properly apply the situation you mentioned above to the Suikoden characters. Most of them have defined personalities, and to have them ignore each other's pasts just kind of cheapens the experience, especially since Suikoden is serious game series that depends on serious characters and serious plotlines. Nintendo, on the other hand, has characters that are not known for being deep. The stories in their games are reasonably superficial, and the emphasis has always been on the quality of the gameplay and the game experience, instead of the actual storyline. Only Nintendo could manage to pull off an involving experience like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time without a decent story. :)
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

We may never have games like Suikoden Party or Suikoden Tennis like the Mario series, but we can easily have a strategy game, but strategy games are better for PC. With the size of the Suikoden story we can just create "sidequests" and make a game out of it. Like a game of the Tinto X Grassland war, the Higheast Rebbelion, the first Fire Bringer War, the war Barbarossa fought to create the Scarlet Moon Empire and I'm just talking about wars here. We can create a game of other things in the Suikoden world, like how Neclord stole the Blue Moon Rune, or a game about Yuber and Pesmerga become enemies.

It would be cool for a Suikoden Anthology since most of these wouldn't make a good game in and of themselves. I mean, it would be ok but to have them seperate wouldn't be good. Anthology would be a real cool game. Gosh now I want one :P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Keith Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Felipe wrote:
We may never have games like Suikoden Party or Suikoden Tennis like the Mario series,

*eyes widen* I would love to play those games. The thought of Gremio serving a tennis ball with his axe or Futch whacking a golf ball with his spear is just wonderful.

But yes, naysayers, I realize these games will never be made. I'm not delusional. *laughs* But it is fun to think about.

Felipe wrote:
but we can easily have a strategy game, but strategy games are better for PC. With the size of the Suikoden story we can just create "sidequests" and make a game out of it. Like a game of the Tinto X Grassland war, the Higheast Rebbelion, the first Fire Bringer War, the war Barbarossa fought to create the Scarlet Moon Empire and I'm just talking about wars here. We can create a game of other things in the Suikoden world, like how Neclord stole the Blue Moon Rune, or a game about Yuber and Pesmerga become enemies.

Suikoden Warriors would be a great game you know, like Dynasty Warriors. Imagine you being an officer of some of the nations, and then go killing soldiers and other offices, and we could have cavalary, archers, kangakorn, people with fire spears and True Runes.

That's just the kind of thing I was talking about. "Sidequests" made into actual games to flush out the continuity, to answer long-asked questions, and to keep us in the Suikoden world while we wait for the next real game to be made.

Oh, and I love your idea about Suikoden Warriors. To be able to be on the ground during the most critical battles in the main games- making the tacticians' plans work — would be a dream come true.

And the Suikoden characters would be uniquely suited to this genre. The variety of weapons is the same; Command runes are an easy parallel to the Musou moves, a la the Goss Rune or the Red Rose Rune or the Shrike Rune; and so on. Very cool idea.

Arcana wrote:
Hmm, I'm not sure if you can properly apply the situation you mentioned above to the Suikoden characters. Most of them have defined personalities, and to have them ignore each other's pasts just kind of cheapens the experience, especially since Suikoden is serious game series that depends on serious characters and serious plotlines. Nintendo, on the other hand, has characters that are not known for being deep. The stories in their games are reasonably superficial, and the emphasis has always been on the quality of the gameplay and the game experience, instead of the actual storyline. Only Nintendo could manage to pull off an involving experience like Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time without a decent story. :)

I respectively disagree. Sort of. On some points anyway. *laughs*

You're right about Nintendo (I'm starting to regret using that example) being better able to put their characters into campy games because of the characters' shallowness. But I disagree that the Suikoden series depends on serious characters and serious plotlines. Obviously the main plots are serious, as are a great deal of the secondary stories, but each game has had its "comic relief" characters. I put that in quotes because the characters are not mere gags; they are real characters and just as much a part of the world as the rest.

I don't seriously think that the Suikoden characters could (or even should) be in a game like Mario Party. But the quirky characters are an integral part of the series, and I don't think that Hai Yo's Kitchen is that far removed from possible Suikoden events.

That being said, would you, Arcana, like to see any of these games be made? By that I mean the continuity-filling games, not the content-less candyfloss ones. And if so, any particular story you'd like to see enacted?
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's a distinct separation between what I want to be made, and then what is realistic to expect from Konami, or even realistic to ask of Konami.

I personally wouldn't care if any amount of games featuring Suikoden characters were made. Hai Yo's Cooking Kitchen, or Eilie's Quest of Dagger Throwing, or a full-out racing game featuring Karayan runners, or a first-person shooter involving the Howling Voice Guild. I'd probably roll my eyes at half of them, but I wouldn't say that I wouldn't like to see them made.

But Suikoden is Konami's RPG series, and the name "Suikoden" is known for it being an RPG, and is not known for individual characteres. It's like the "Lexus" brand name from Toyota - it is equivalent to the high-end luxury car. Toyota would negatively affect the name "Lexus" if it made a cheap, entry level model that costs $10K. Similarly, for the same reason, I think Konami will keep Suikoden in a similar vein.

However, they did release Suikoden Card Stories, so there are definitely exceptions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: