Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden V release date. Bad move?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="Sami"]Independence? Who has independence from Time? Who has time to play two huge RPG-type games released side by side, especially with other releases like Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and Shadow Hearts From the New World? (Although SH is a lot more obscure than Suikoden...)[/quote

Independance is the key word. It doesn't mean you're going to buy every game that's coming out. Sars just meant that he, unlike some people, can buy both games when they're released (even though he's getting Suikoden V's japanese version as opposed to the NA version I'm sure) because he is independant and gets a paycheck, unlike most people who visit this forum (or so it seems).
Sami

Liberating Swords

199204 Potch
27 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They just haven't gotten around to updating it yet. The news broke just a few days ago, and there's a lot of stuff on a website like that.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I used to get a paycheck, but that was a summer job...I'm only sixteen though...good times....good good times...

Hmm...I think that they'll keep their word on it coming out in March. They seem to have a great portion of it translated as it was seen in the trailers.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't get a paycheck, and I'm still getting a sh**load of games, that's it I'm too cool for this board. 8-)

Eh, seriously it seems that the majority of the audience here are adolescent, and not financially independent...

Or so it seems, pay attention to the word seems, it looks that way it doesn't mean it is...

Still dudes if you like RPG's get both games, Suikoden V first of course...
Hiku

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EZ_Rabbit wrote:
Not because they wouldn't logically have similar appeal,
being story driven, and featuring fantasy elements
and yadda, yadda, yadda,
but because as a matter of fact,
KH has a MASSIVE appeal to a wide variety of people,
and Suikoden just doesn't.

I see what you mean now. And you may be right. But given the size and variety of KH's fanbase, that's not really saying much.
If I had only a portion of Bill Gates money, I'd be happy. lol

Jokes aside, as someone mentioned before me, Suikoden won't remain with the same fanbase until we die. It will likely grow.

Among these KH fans are a lot of rpg gamers, who look for new games to try out. And Suikoden V will have to fight with KH2 for their attention.
They are both rpg's after all. And like FF7 did for the PS1 generation, KH has opened up the world of rpg's to a whole new generation. (I assume it was this younger generation you were mainly referring to)

So while those who came into contact with KH as their first rpg (as many did with FF7) they have grown more interested in the genre, and will likely continue to explore new games.

But even half or less out of this fanbase is a lot.
And it is a fanbase more easily tapped into without this kind of competition.

Quote:
But I am saying that they wont,
because they simply exist in seperate strata of the gaming world.

Well I think the same could be said for the FF series based on it's huge fanbase, yet we know that it is because of Final Fantasy that so many other rpg's managed to sell outside of Japan. Not the opposite. I think that rather than seeing the KH fanbase as something unreachable, you should realise that it invited a lot of new people into the world of rpg's, and many of them have since started playing other rpg's. In reality most gamers of any genre don't stick to one single series their whole lives, but check out other new games to play. The fans of KH are no different, whether this was their first rpg or not.

On the other hand, Kingdom Hearts has started to appeal to even more people now that the story shifted to something darker and more complex.

To me they are simply two interesting rpg's, and that's it. Now just because one is more popular than the other doesn't mean that they come from different worlds, does it?

Shadow Hearts is another overlooked series that has a small fanbase, yet the game seemingly is not very different than your average rpg. It is original in many ways, but the game itself does not exist in a "separate strata of the gaming world", as you would say. It simply has a smaller fanbase.
Shadow Hearts was released around the same time as FFX. And because of that many people ignored it. The sequel, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, ended up selling better than the original. The only competition it had was from Star Ocean 3, due a few months later. It seems that Shadow Hearts popularity managed to grow a bit, and the third game is being published by the same company that released Wild Arms 4. I hope the Suikoden series continues to grow as well. Especially after Suikoden IV, which wasn't very well recieved by fans and critiques, as most of us are aware of.

(By the way, I'm noticing a lot of new people to the series becoming more and more interested in Suikoden V. That's really good news to me. I hope the game turns out to be as good as it looks.)

Music | Kingdom Hearts OC ReMix - Above the Rising Falls
Game | Suikoden V
Anime | Death Note
Next: ????
Keiya

Deep Ground

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bottom line, people:

It doesn't matter if Suikoden 5 will get released with any other game out in the market. The fact is, if that the game is a really good game, then it'll get a LOT of attention, even if you got all the Zelda's, Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasies all coming out the very same day Suikoden 5's coming out. If Suiko 5 is a good game, it'll hold its ground. And since I am convinced of S5's quality, I really don't think it needs to be released at a certain date and at a certain console to get attention.

... unlike Tales of Symphonia. :D Don't get me wrong, people, but if ToS wasn't released during the summer, and if it was released initially on the PS2 where it will have a lot of competition, I'd expect it to be forgotten in the sea of RPG Mediocrity, like Star Ocean 3.

|Your kind and gentle words can't heal me now. This body's only dedicated to the never ending fight.|
seink

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since KH2 is a much more popular series and is not in direct competition with Suikoden, I guess that they want to increase the exposure of S5 to rpg gamers by making sure that S5 will be on the "New Release" shelf when pple come to purchase KH2.Also, since ps3 is coming out this summer/fall, it will only be sensible to release S5 a few months earlier before pple starts saving for ps3.
Lechium

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KH2 = Disney = something I'm not touching with 10 foot pole
so no conflict for me lol
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe they want the new rpg players to get hooked on their series over some Square Enix series. I know if I didn't know anything about either of the games I would buy Suikoden V over KH II because Suiko's cover is way better.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, that doesn't sound like a good reason to buy a game. Don't judge a game by it's cover. Judge it by the gameplay and what you've heard about it...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MMan9000 wrote:
Heh, that doesn't sound like a good reason to buy a game. Don't judge a game by it's cover. Judge it by the gameplay and what you've heard about it...

I'm just being honest if I didn't know anything about either games I would look at the covers. Then the one with the better pictures and short summaries would be the one that I bag. How would you do it?
LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believed it depends on how yourself think, as for me I read reviews, browse e net to search for ratings for the game...and the cover also part of my consideration. HeHe...sometimes a nice cover box art will attract people alot... :mrgreen:
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I believe that covers can tend to be misleading to you. You might see a game that has a nice cover, but when you begin to play it, it will suck.

Summaries and things can lie to make things better then they are. Do you ever see a game that says on the back "Play through fifteen levels of intense boredom" or how about "You can choose from over five characters that have no plot and are boring."?

I'm not saying that your idea is wrong, I'm just saying that it's not what I would do...

Official Smoke Bomb User

LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...both u guys got the point, but I believed MMan9000 way would be more accurate if you are looking for a nice game. Some games might have great art style but bad game play...but still...nice cover "R" so AttRACtIVE!!!hahaha... :mrgreen:
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So that is the offical box for America i thought that was the Japan Box
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: