Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

King Says: "Suikoden translation has been good."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

isnt Suikoden about the games, and not about the words?

No it's about the experience (at least for me), and part of that experience is getting things as the creator intended it, not altered due to some lazy translating.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it was only about the game and not the words then I'd assume you'd also buy a Suikoden game with no story that is just battle after battle until the end.

*Waits for "You mean Suikoden IV?" post from some smart-ass*
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I think sometimes fans are a bit hard on translators. Translating a feeling is difficult, what do you draw on? There's no hard rule on it, so you draw on your life experiences and what you think will best get your point across. In this respect, the Suikoden translation teams have done a pretty good job.

That said, when they screw up, they screw up pretty royally.

Overall though, the translation was done well enough that Suikoden 1-3 have become among my favourite games... so I guess that says something right? No matter how bad we think the translations were, a lot of us still love the story in Suikoden 1 and 2. Some of us (like myself) even enjoyed Suikoden 3.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy wrote:
Well I think sometimes fans are a bit hard on translators. Translating a feeling is difficult, what do you draw on? There's no hard rule on it, so you draw on your life experiences and what you think will best get your point across. In this respect, the Suikoden translation teams have done a pretty good job.

The poor Suikoden translation teams lives must have been spent on bad spelling test results and multiple personality disorder judging by what they do to some of the characters coupled with a dash of 'not looking at the previous game to see what things were called'.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the games are playable as they are and if you avoided sites and forums like this like the plauge you'd only get a small inkling something is wrong with Suikoden II and you'll probably notice the inconsistencies in Suikoden III but that's about it.

The reason why the translation earns so much ire from myself is because, as I've said, I'm a huge believer in consistency. Consistency, facts, history, those are the things I want out of any series.

Sars has his own reason, which is that from a business perspective, it is poor quality control and management.

The subtext of Blue Thunder's views is that he wants to see more Jeane, most likely. :P

If continuity isn't a big deal for you, then that's fine but that doesn't mean that if it is a big deal to me that I'm not going to complain when I don't find it in a series which is specifically praised for that aspect.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just so long as killey/=/kitty and loralai/=/lauren or whatever I will probably be happy.

Ugh.....Kitty is so wrong.

I'm hopeful that that was just a bad translations by the interviewist.
LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eeerrmmm...guys, please dun tell me the Killey in the game will be called "Kitty"? and Lorelai will be called as "Lauren"??? Please tell me this is not TRUE!!! :x

Last edited by LaLaLaVinCE on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Holy Paladin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LaLaLaVinCE wrote:
Eeerrmmm...guys, please dun tell me the Killey in the game will be called "Kitty"? and Lorerai will be called as "Lauren"??? Please tell me this is not TRUE!!! :x

I'm sure that those were mistranslations made by the interviewers. Oh, and you spelled Lorelai wrong.
LaLaLaVinCE

Bro of Liang Shan Marsh

7820 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OOpS...sorrY...hehehe...its Lorelai!!!Thankz for the correction bro!!! :mrgreen:
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Oh, and you spelled Lorelai wrong.

I knew it was wrong too but I was too lazy to correct it. LOL
Lessing

0 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What does it really matter? When you're just reading text, a few grammatical errors aren't that tough to correct in your head. It's really only a "burden" for this generation of games that uses voiceover acting, because then you actually hear the mistake. But I've noticed dialogue isn't too poorly written for games. It's generally the voice acting that brings a game down.
Locke

Poker of Doom

157293 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although, it would be rather funny to have him named Kitty. For the simple fact that you'd be beating people down with a guy named Kitty.

3 Time Suikox WWE Fantasy Champion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: