Suikoden Unique and Irenic Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? The Debate begins
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

St. Ajora wrote:
Ley wrote:
I don't se how Christians can just hijack a time of year and call it their own, when it's common knowledge that Christmas isn't even when Jesus Christ was born. The season was hijacked from the other religions.

Before Jesus was even born it was called many things. The feast of the Son of Isis was celebrated on December 25th in Ancient Babylon, the Romans celebrated Saturnalia during Winter, Pagans had Yule. Christmas is just a stolen holiday, so no-one has the right to force anyone to wish a "Merry Christmas".

So what if it's a "stolen" holiday? Does that make it any less meaningful to people just because it was originally intended to make people forget about pagan holidays? Please. Who gets upset over crap like that?

I'm very very SHOCKED to see people here saying "it doesn't matter" in much harsher tones. Of COURSE it matters if you want to be respectful and courteous to your fellow people. I'm not going to wish a muslim a Merry Christmas because that makes me an idiot. Happy Holidays is a much safer and overall friendly term to use. Why? It communicates the point that you're actually trying to be sensitive and polite with someone else whom you may or may not know.

Really, I had no idea that so many people here had such a big problem with being nice.

My it doesn't matter meant that it doesn't matter what people say so long as they're nice about it. Appreciating that someone wished something good on you is an act of courteousy on their part. :D
St. Ajora

SOUL PATROL!

-98944 Potch
-54 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wataru14 wrote:
I have no problem with being wished a "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" because, like it has been said, Christmas isn't the only kid on the block. What does get me mad is when people aren't allowed to say "Christmas" because other people get mad at it. Watch TV commercials. Songs that were written 200 years ago and more are having words changed. "We wish you a Merry Christmas" should say just that, not "We wish you a happy holidays." Public domain is poublic domain and all that, but write your own damn song. Don't take mine, ruin it and say its everyone's. No, it's not. It's mine. You can have yours, but its not fair to tell me I can't have mine. According to the 2000 Census, 47% of the United States was "Christian." While not the majority, Christianity is still the single largest religious persuasion in the US. Those 133 million people have a right to say "Merry Christmas" if they damn well please. Telling someone they can't excercise their right to freely express their own religious beliefs simply because you don;t like them is not a very "American" thing to do, now is it?

I think "Happy Holidays" is fine as a neutral greeting, but if people want to say "Merry Christmas" to no one in particular, let 'em.

I agree with this way too much. I'm sooo for people being politically correct around this season (since anyone who is anyone can celebrate good will towards men, peace, etc and since so many cultures celebrate around this tim) but what's Christmas is Christmas. We Wish You A Merry Christmas is a Chrismas song. It will always be a Christmas song. Crap like "Holiday trees" and such are ridiculous. You're not going to walk into a predominately Islamic or Hindu country and expect them to change their celebrations just so everyone can feel accomodated.

Wishing people a Happy Holidays to be polite is one thing, but reworking the whole Christmas tradition just so other faiths can be happy and not guilty about joining in, is aggravating to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: