Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Knowledge Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 5 Profile at Rakuten
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloudcent

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really can't wait for this game. While Suikoden IV was definately the low point for the series, i still enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure there are some things that could have been done better, but it added another chapter to this vast world. And i agree about Suikoden Tactics. It's great so far. I'm about 8 or so hours in and having a blast.

It's hard to contain the Suiko-fanboy in me. I replayed 1-3 this summer and played IV earlier this year. Now i'm playing Tactics....all to be prepared for this game. :D
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

IV was "the lowpoint in the series" because you people kept your standards so unnaturally high. V is bound to do the same thing to you.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Unnaturally high?

You mean "of the same quality as Suikoden 1-3" is too high? How? The series had kept up a certain quality and standard for three games. Assuming they would make a game that was at least just as good as the previous games on thier fourth run is not unnatural in any way. It's to be expected.

To be honest, I didn't even have my hopes set high at all for S4. I was actually expecting it to be kind of bad. But instead of being pleasantly surprised, I got...well I got S4.

I'm not going to let my obsession with Suikoden cloud my judgement; if a game is bad, a game is bad. Not even Jeane's jiggling life-like breasts can sway that opinion.

But I can already tell Suikoden 5 is better just from the trailer. I would rather watch the 10 minute trailor of Suikoden 5 than play through all of Suikoden 4. The trailer has more emotion than all of Suikoden 4 combined.

I'm looking forward to this game because it looks like they've finally listened to the fans on certain issues. They also seem to have put a lot of extra effort into making it, especially with character designs and dialogue and environments and colors and battle mechanics, and so many other things.

This game could very well be the best Suikoden. That is, of course, a matter of opinion and speculation. But I think the only thing that could make Suikoden 5 worse than Suikoden 4 at this point is if the Prince of Falena discovers that the entire world of Suikoden is a video game for beings from the 4D universe and that Hikusaak is the Creator of the entire virtual Suikoden universe.

^Actual quote!
ShuTheLord

The Gale Knights

0 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is all very very exciting news. I really cant wait. That being said, I do have to buy and play through Suikoden Tactics first. :lol:
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
IV was "the lowpoint in the series" because you people kept your standards so unnaturally high. V is bound to do the same thing to you.

No it was a lowpoint in the series because it was a half assed piece of crap that downgraded everything the series worked for up until that point.

Jeez I want the scans for this game! Noone has any scans?
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
You mean "of the same quality as Suikoden 1-3" is too high? How? The series had kept up a certain quality and standard for three games. Assuming they would make a game that was at least just as good as the previous games on thier fourth run is not unnatural in any way. It's to be expected.

I don't think you listen to the people here or anywhere else. Whenever a new Suikoden is announced, they can't wait and proclaim it will be (or "may be" if they're a bit conservative) the greatest game ever. A lot of people want Suikoden II-2, and it's not going to happen.

Quote:
To be honest, I didn't even have my hopes set high at all for S4. I was actually expecting it to be kind of bad. But instead of being pleasantly surprised, I got...well I got S4.

Dude, you left the community to not ruin the experience of IV like you did with III.

Quote:
But I can already tell Suikoden 5 is better just from the trailer. I would rather watch the 10 minute trailor of Suikoden 5 than play through all of Suikoden 4. The trailer has more emotion than all of Suikoden 4 combined.

That sounds like emotions being swayed. I see the trailer, and I see a somewhat graphically impressive RPG with an isometric camera. There's nothing to indicate it will be a great game until I try it, which is why I know I'll end up enjoying it, like every other Suikoden I've played. I have to pick you apart on your next comment, though.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to this game because it looks like they've finally listened to the fans on certain issues. They also seem to have put a lot of extra effort into making it, especially with character designs

BESM. I find fans have a lack of taste if they just want more BESM and no personality.
Quote:
and dialogue

We've seen maybe a paragraph of dialogue. Not giving them credit there.
Quote:
environments

We've seen what-- a lake, a river, and a forest? Whoa, Konami. Don't think outside the box too much there.
Quote:
and colors

"Dear Konami,

I would like to see more green in your next Suikoden. kthx"
Quote:
and battle mechanics

Looks like a regular ol' turn-based battle system with six party members and a formation setting. Nothing new or exciting.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I don't think you listen to the people here or anywhere else. Whenever a new Suikoden is announced, they can't wait and proclaim it will be (or "may be" if they're a bit conservative) the greatest game ever. A lot of people want Suikoden II-2, and it's not going to happen.

I agree that a lot of people want II-2 but I'm not one of those people. What I want is the series to evolve. IV didn't do that. V looks like the Suikoden where Konami is finally realizing the potential of the series. The trailer speaks more than just showing us SV, it shows they're actually working their butts off. The simple fact it looks like Konami is actually LISTENING to the fans makes it my most anticipated game because it's a new entry in my favorite series. I don't expect it to be the best game ever or EVEN TOP MY FAVORITE GAME SUIKODEN II. All I want is a great game is a great series and something that ADDS to the series as opposed to being just a stupid gaiden story in the middle of the ocean with a hero who has too much sand in his pants.

Quote:
Dude, you left the community to not ruin the experience of IV like you did with III.

So? And what if he did? When I saw IV's trailers I thought it looked AWFUL. But I didn't say that because I was in denial. Come SARS review and my nightmare became true: SIV was a half assed, uninspired mess that downgraded and setback EVERYTHING Suikoden tried to work for the last 10 years. What does him leaving the community have anything to do with that?

Quote:
That sounds like emotions being swayed. I see the trailer, and I see a somewhat graphically impressive RPG with an isometric camera. There's nothing to indicate it will be a great game until I try it, which is why I know I'll end up enjoying it, like every other Suikoden I've played. I have to pick you apart on your next comment, though.

What we mean is that it pretty much shows they've overcome most of IV's problems we really didn't like. For example, the colors and enviroments in IV were very uninspired and lacking. They were not diverse. At all. However in V's trailer you see atleast 15 different locations based on that ONE trailer. That's saying a lot. And considering this news report says they'll have more locations in this Suikoden than all the others, the trailer showed this.

Another thing, go watch SIV's trailers again and you'll see that the cutscenes are dull, boring, uninspired, and you see the same characters in pretty much every scene. Those trailers reflected IV's quality as a whole. V's trailer shows many many character interactions, a lot of imagination, a magical world filled to brim with adventure. It's possible the game will reflect this. Trailers may not seem like anything to you, but they do show the general impression of something. You can tell that they're working very hard in SV based off that ONE trailer.

Quote:
BESM. I find fans have a lack of taste if they just want more BESM and no personality

What the hell is BESM?

Quote:
We've seen maybe a paragraph of dialogue. Not giving them credit there.

No matter how much we've seen of the dialouge, what we CAN say it that is adaqutely written:

"In the name of compassion as wide as the rivers, and glory as luminous as the sun!"

"Stand back, unworthy one. To point you weapon at me, the avatar of the Sun and executor of justice is worth one thousand deaths!"

So you're saying one can't be impressed with amazing wording like that in a game. When IV had 1 second long conversations and petty dialouge?

Quote:
We've seen what-- a lake, a river, and a forest? Whoa, Konami. Don't think outside the box too much there.

The enviroments are varied. A cave, a forest, temples that are obviously inspired by mythology, beach areas glitsening with waterfalls. This is everything I've wanted from a Suikoden: imagination and realistic look of nature but in a very imaginative way akin to the FF series. Just seeing varied enviroments to me is a GREAT sign. What did we have in IV? A cave with the same texture that lasted 3 rooms? A ruin in Obel that looked so similar I didn't know where the whole time? Ummm..a final dungeon that was just A BUNCH OF STAIRS IN A VERY DARK PLACE? Ummm..what else..

Quote:
"Dear Konami,

I would like to see more green in your next Suikoden. kthx"

Be sarcastic all you want but this addresses another problem from IV: the whole game was pretty boring and gray color wise. V's trailer however shows bright colors and VARIED colors so as to make me feel like I'm not COLOR BLIND.

Quote:
Looks like a regular ol' turn-based battle system with six party members and a formation setting. Nothing new or exciting.

I agree there, but considering we don't know much about the battle system..
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro, I'm not talking to you. Let BT defend his own words, since it sounds like you hurt more than help.
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not just speaking for him, I have the same opinion regarding SV's trailer so I thought I'd bring my thoughts. I have the right to express my own opinion.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can we please stop the fighting.

Anyways, I am glad that the growing castle system will be back. It has been gone somewhat in the last two games (Suikoden III had a tad bit of it, while Suikoden IV didn't have anything...)

I hope that the good ending(s) are somewhat easy to get. I don't want to wind up with bad endings each time I play the game.

Perhaps you might actually cause a few people to die, and not to die. I think that possible choices might or might not let Limslair among other people the chance to live.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Himuro

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is no fighting. There's nothing wrong with civilized debate.
EZ_Rabbit

The Blade Lackshmana

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope they add greater customization to the new castle system,
because it isnt a crucial thing yet it can be a fun diversion to spend time
around the castle doing less stressful and more casual gaming.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I left so I wouldn't have the storyline revealed to me. Little did I know that there was no storyline to reveal.

Quote:
BESM. I find fans have a lack of taste if they just want more BESM and no personality.

Why would you assume we want BESM and no personality? I was just pointing out that the character designs are vastly better. That doesn't mean we care only about what characters look like.

Quote:
We've seen maybe a paragraph of dialogue.

And that one paragraph of dialogue was better than every piece of dialogue in Suikoden 4.

Quote:

I was referring to any of the places the characters are at, whether it's wilderness or inside a building. And even if we're just looking at the "wilderness" environments they still look better than anything Suikoden 4 ever did.

Quote:
"Dear Konami, I would like to see more green in your next Suikoden. kthx"

You would have a point there, except that I can actually see myself sending that as an e-mail to Konami, and I would have a justifiable reason for doing so.

Quote:

Nothing new? The formation system is new. Swapping people in and out of your party from the menu is new. And not exciting? They brought back skills and six-person parties. Those two points alone are good news. And personally I enjoy the "regular ol' turn-based battle system" that Suikoden uses, and I'm happy to see it getting slightly better and built upon with each game (the exception being S4).

^Actual quote!
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh, wow, this made me a little bit happy. I can't wait.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OptimisticPessimist

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

84561 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The way I see it, it's supposed to be KONAMI's job to create the game and our's to enjoy it (and for some, to nit-pick at it). There's not much point debating about it or each other's preferences for the game actually, since everyone expects different things. Whatever the next in line for the Suikoden series that KONAMI will release for our gaming experience is simply what the next Suikoden will be.

I do suppose there will be some improvements made to the game, though I'm not expecting much. All in all, I wonder if I am excited about it at all.

Perhaps the excitement will build up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: