Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Changes in Suikoden
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
And1balla

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't care if it's a mainstream game! As long as it's Suikoden, I'm sure it will be awesome. I will always keep playing Suikoden games as long as Konami makes them. I have to keep playing for the story!
Thanks
And1balla
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden going more mainstream is a good thing for the series and the company as it will get more fans into the series. I mean Suikoden as a series has always been seen as having a cult following where only people who have grown to love that series keep buying the games and the others are usually one offs. Making it main stream and appealing to the usual rpg fans will bring in more people and more revenue. If it makes lots of money there will likely be more games following it not to mention more copies for people to buy. All of the games tend to become rather rare rather quickly. I mean it took me 2 years to buy Suikoden 3 because i missed out on buying right away.(well not literally 2 years but you get what i'm saying.

Oh and just for the record I would buy it and play it over and over again regardless of whether or not it becomes truly mainstream. I care about the overall quality of the game and not whether there are lots of people playing it or not.
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't mind it going mainstream as long as it keeps its continuity and doesn't start off in a new world, with entirely new characters, and doesn't stray from the 108 character recruiting.

It would be nice to be able to talk about the Suikoden series without having people cock their heads, raise their eyebrows and slowly try pronouncing "Suikoden?" followed, inevitably, by, "What's Suikoden? I've never heard of it."

M'eh, I'm trying to convince my friend to get into the series and it seems he's attracted to the idea. Right now he's looking for used copies since he doesn't want to worry me by borrowing my copies while I'm upstate in college. :)

Hm, I don't understand much of the complaining going on about Suikoden III. Yes, there were elements in it that I agree were annoying (15 years didn't go over TOO well with my preferences, for example) but I thought it was a great game overall. Although it did move a little closer to the cliche "Save the world from evil" plot. However, they pulled it off nicely in my opinion. :wink:

I'll admit I'm a little worried about Suikoden IV because my true connection, and beginning of my fandom, started with Suikoden II... and it seems rather odd having the game set so far before Suikoden I. But it could work, especially if they bring in some nice backstories of characters like Neclord, Sierra, Yuber, etc. But it doesn't seem like Konami is trying too hard to transform the series into the common RPG you find on the market.

Nothing wrong with other series and games but Suikoden feels the freshest. As long as the 108 characters theme remains, along with recruiting, mini-games, and feeling of war remains... it'll all be the same for me. :p

Change can be a good thing as long as they remember remain true to the source and longtime fans. :D

1862 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just hope that they dont go to far and endup alienating us diehard fans :(
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1138266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think there's much to worry about luc, as Suikoden isn't mainstream at this point in time, it's the diehard fans which are keeping the series alive, at least in North America. Konami has already shown that they don't view the PAL market very highly, what with the refusal to release Suikoden III in that format, they can't afford to make a similar mistake with the rest of the Suikoden fanbase.

So far, what little I have heard of Suikoden IV is exciting me, particularly the ship-based format they've gone with. We'll be able to tell more with Suikoden V, whether it is released on the PS2 or PS3. My main hope is that Suikoden V takes place in the Queendom of Falena, we don't know nearly enough about that nation.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Elc wrote:

So far, what little I have heard of Suikoden IV is exciting me, particularly the ship-based format they've gone with. We'll be able to tell more with Suikoden V, whether it is released on the PS2 or PS3. My main hope is that Suikoden V takes place in the Queendom of Falena, we don't know nearly enough about that nation.

My main hope is that Suikoden V will take place at all! :wink: I don't care so much about the setting as long as the story and characters are good.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1138266 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Chances are there will be a Suikoden V, at least in Japan. It's always a bit of shaky ground in North America and Europe where the series isn't as widely known as the "big" RPGs like Final Fantasy.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And that would only make me want to learn Japanese more (although German remains my top priority ;P). It's too bad it isn't better known in the US (where I am at least... there's only been ONE person I met who has played the series). Don't get me wrong, Final Fantasy is okay in my books, but Suikoden really deserves the spotlight more than FF. ^^; Just a personal opinion of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: