Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who's the best Hero?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best Hero?
Tir
50%
 50%  [ 21 ]
Riou
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
Thomas
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Hugo
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Geddoe
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Chris
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 42

Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted for Thomas, because while he may not be the best at being a Hero he has the deepest personality and would have made a great hero, if only his role was larger within Suikoden III. As Lebenengel says, Thomas is a hero with a lot of human aspects, he is not perfect and he knows it, but he is not a little whingy brat about things as Tir, Riou and Hugo had a tendency to become like at times. What makes Thomas the best in my eyes, though, is his courage to do what is right, not just what is easy, despite his own inadequecies. Tir joined the Liberation Army just because he was a rebellious teenager that had a thing against Kraze. Riou fought for Dunan because he wanted peace and saw no other way to end the crazed regime of Luca in Highland. Both of them fell into their paths as leaders with relative ease, though, Thomas on the otherhand had to work more with people to try and overcome the problems that beset him.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted Tir because of the ensuing future we see for him. He has a rune that will continue to take those lives closest to him until he masters it. Anyone can seem like a hero when the tide is flowing their way, but Tir's real character will emerge as he continues to face these odds. (whether we see it or not)

So far, he seems to have the worst true rune of them all. Having yourself die is terrible, but having your loved ones die (not just by old age, but by a true rune taking them) leaves a void in one's heart.

Magicians With Attitude

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I choose Tir because he has a good rune!! He has the best personality!! He was emotionally scar
(Spoiler If you didn't play suiko 1)
----

because he had to kill his dad and watch his best friend die!! :cry: :cry:

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're actually trying to say a silent protagonist has a personality? For all we know McDohl was a sick, twisted freak who enjoyed watching his closest retainer be eaten alive by flesh-eating spores, and only collected the 108 Stars just to watch them all die in ruthless, man-to-man warfare.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He was a silent hero, but he still did have a personality, because of the situations where you are forced to choose certain responses or courses of action and because in most cases there are only two alternate options. I think there are a few different outcomes for Tir's personality, either as a silent, serious, respectful boy, or as a joking, hot-headed, but still responsible kid. Regardless he still has a fairly well defined personality, even if the player has some input in how he turns out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There were a lot of choices that could define some things, sure, but none of them ever let you see any real depth. Most of them were just spur of the moment responses that only let you know how he would react in those particular situations.

I mean, "All men, charge!" can only tell you so much about a person.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"My father goes his way and I go mine" can tell you a lot, though.

If you are going to say that his lines don't give much character depth, then the same can be said of most other characters. It is just a came and the limited text on the screen can only convey so much emotion when compared to voice, facial expressions (Suikoden 3 does NOT count for those) and pages upon pages of dialogue that can be found in some other games, in movies or in books.

Even so I still agree and maintain that Thomas was the character with the most strongly developed, deepest and most human personality. But that doesn't mean Tir doesn't have a personality, either. Suikoguild's post was kind of lacking in terms of describing the aspects of Tir's personality that were appealing, but I don't agree that he is devoid of a personality, either. I think he is more developed than Qlon, Pesmerga and even Luc were based solely on Suikoden I and even though now Luc has one of the most developed personalities in the series, Tir still holds his own, as do the other silent heroes, even if it is hard for them to compete with Viktor, Ace, Lucia and others.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

as much as i like geddoe, i'd have to agree with thomas as a hero. he displayed a great deal of maturity through most situations, unlike some of the other characters *cough...luc...* or had that silent 'hero' presence.

i'd like to see him again in the future; he has great potential for being the next twr bearer (S in wind magic).

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I went with Tir, not only because he was cool, but because he kept fighting to free his country, even though the people he loved had to die. Teo, Gremio, He even had to kill Aide Gin, (Sp? I know it's wrong, forgive me. Haven't played Sui 1 for a while) The guy who let his escape from the Gregminister territory in the first place!

Sure Riou had to fight his best friend, but at least Jowy got to live in the end. Nanami was also ok. Tir lost everyone dear to him. To top it off, his brave deeds got Gremio revived (Ah Precious Gremio. How I love thee so.)

Chris, Hugo and Geddoe were all cool, but again, not the same feel. You kind of had to name Tir and Riou. Like you were them. Thomas was....he wasn't a fighter, but he protected what he came to love. That works for me.

Nash, He's special. He's kind of like Luc to me. He fights for what needs to be done. Of course that wasn't the point to Suikogaiden, but let's face it. Raj (?) needed to die.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saben wrote:

If you are going to say that his lines don't give much character depth, then the same can be said of most other characters. It is just a came and the limited text on the screen can only convey so much emotion when compared to voice, facial expressions (Suikoden 3 does NOT count for those) and pages upon pages of dialogue that can be found in some other games, in movies or in books.

But you're also assuming a few things. The quote you mentioned, for example, can be taken in numerous ways. McDohl may have said that to show that he's not just the son of a great hero, but also a unique individual who makes his own choices. Or, it can be taken as a blind act of defiance, angry at the thought of people thinking of him as "daddy's little boy". Just as the choices are your own to make, so is the way to interpret them. That makes his personality subjective, and impossible to gauge.

I still agree with most of what you said, though.
Seakida

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I picked Tir because he is just awsome, You can't beat some one who can kill his father and invite his lover, a little bit of a sicko but hey. No just kidding, he had one of the best runes and just looked awsome, but i played with Nash first so I would have to pick him if he was on there, nash Nash NASH, I PINE FOR YOU!
Kasumis Number1 Slave

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tir because hes cool and has the Soul Eater Rune.
Maximillian

Dead Soggy Old Dudes

137813 Potch
13000 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted Tir, because I love silent protagonists. And Riou had Nanami talking for him, and I hated Nanami.
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lebenengel wrote:
Saben wrote:

But you're also assuming a few things. The quote you mentioned, for example, can be taken in numerous ways. McDohl may have said that to show that he's not just the son of a great hero, but also a unique individual who makes his own choices. Or, it can be taken as a blind act of defiance, angry at the thought of people thinking of him as "daddy's little boy". Just as the choices are your own to make, so is the way to interpret them. That makes his personality subjective, and impossible to gauge.

I still agree with most of what you said, though.

Perhaps. However, Suikoden I isn't the only game Tir has appearened in. He has some dialogue of his own if you take him with you for certian parts in S2. Also, you have to take into consideration Suikogaiden and the novels which actually display his character a bit. I agree that it's hard to tell what Tir is actually thinking since logically, he is 'you', however there are some aspects you have to take account for. Such as the options that are given them to you. They could give you options that would become really out of character, but they give you a certian amount of options, and usually they are yes or no. The question is when you are asked this. Like when you have the option to let Kraze live. You don't get him later, nor does it affect the game in any way, yet you're given the option. Pan and the others could of easily just charged without asking Tir first. You also need to take in account how the others see him as well, instead of relying on just your opinion of him.

I voted for Tir Mcdohl, funny because I actually played S2 first. I didn't really think anything about Tir, but he kind of grew on me.
I like Riou too just because of his relationship with Nanami and Kowy. Despite Nanami being annoying most of the time, she was always there for Riou when he needed her. She also knew when to back down as well.
Chris, honestly I found her character boring. So I tried to go through her chs as fast as I could. She's a great leader, and I do like her, but she didn't seem that interesting to me.
Geddoe, I loved doing Geddoe's chs the most just becuase he seemed more like the cool fighter. But his socail skills sort of make me doubt he'd be a good leader.
Hugo, I like him, but he's got a bit of growing up to do.
Thomas, they should of made him the FC, but meh. Despite that he is the weakest out of the heros, he has a lot of guts. So I appluad him. He hasn't carried a burden as large as Tir(or any of the other heros for that matter) for me to actually rank him up there.
Excalibur1027

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was a hard choice, but I went with Tir because he's just my favorite character all around. I feel sorry for him with how much he had to go through like fighting his father, losing his friends, leading an army, enduring the curse of the Soul Eater. Plus he's the only one that I can't really find as many faults as I could with everyone else. Thomas would be my second runner-up though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: