Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What inovations whould YOU put into the Suikoden serial?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arcana wrote:
That's something else that would be cool - a REAL supply and demand system for trade goods. Set up the trade goods so that things are actually "manufactured", and that there's a limited supply. So if you're always buying armour, eventually the price of iron (and the price of iron armour) goes up.

I'd hate that idea. This is Suikoden and not Sim Suikoden 2010. Plus, there is no real need for supply and demand system. We know that we'd buy a lot of armor, especially since the armors are sold from weakest until strongest. Not to mention that we have 108 SoDs in total (and around 70 of them would be fighters).

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Suikoden, but there is a LOT that I would change about it, because there's a lot of potential that isn't being hit.

First of all, the castle rarely ever lives up to it's potential. In Suikoden II, I'd say the castle aspect hit it's peak. There was a lot going on, loads of minigames, people moved around, most characters had two or three things to do instead of just standing around with a single catchphrase. Everything you needed was in reach, and in general, it just felt like a castle, and a community. It's since lost that appeal. I mean, in Suikoden IV, you had three chefs! Each more useless than the last! And so many characters just sat below deck and wasted your valuable air. I'd like to see more characters with unique aspects to add to the castle.

Take Suikoden II's Gengen and Gabocha. Sure, they're warriors by nature, but you could also catch them dancing in the theatre from time to time. That was cool! It gave you the idea that maybe there were goings-on in your castle even if you weren't around. It's why the theatre in S3 was so neat. But I'd like to see a character, who maybe opens up a duelling square, where you select one of your Stars and duel them. Elenor's mock strategic battles were a good addition, except for the general suckiness of the naval battles rendering them unappealing. Just little things like that.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would add maybe a customizable hero. You could possibly pick the clothes, gender, hair style, and practically everything about the person, even their personality and the like.

I would probably add the ability to make your HQ based on how you wanted it. If you want a city, then it can be a city, and if you want a castle, then you can make a castle, and so on...

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
Arcana wrote:
That's something else that would be cool - a REAL supply and demand system for trade goods. Set up the trade goods so that things are actually "manufactured", and that there's a limited supply. So if you're always buying armour, eventually the price of iron (and the price of iron armour) goes up.

I'd hate that idea. This is Suikoden and not Sim Suikoden 2010. Plus, there is no real need for supply and demand system. We know that we'd buy a lot of armor, especially since the armors are sold from weakest until strongest. Not to mention that we have 108 SoDs in total (and around 70 of them would be fighters).

And I think it's silly and unrealistic to be able to buy 70 suits of "Blessed Armour of the North".

This is why the Rare Goods concept wasn't so bad in Suikoden III.

The catch is that, instead of being limited by some arbitrary in-game system of, "as you go to each town the armour and weapons get increasingly more and more powerful", you would be able to go to a town and see armour for all kinds of price ranges. You aren't limited by the stage of the game you're at - you're limited intead by the money you bother yourself to raise. If you are an awesome trader at the beginning of the game and make yourself 1 million potch I think you should totally be allowed to buy a 1 million potch suit of armour. Sure, it'll make the rest of the game really easy, but you, the player, spent all of this time raising money... let the player spend it.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd like to see the Suikoden series dumbed down even more. Make the characters extremely easy to recruit (all you have to do is speak to them), make it almost impossible to die in battle, and above all *simplify* the story. Personally, I prefer stories that are very slow to develop, and then rush to a conclusion. And make sure you throw in a couple of vague teasers about Jeane and Viki that could mean almost anything.
Samwise

Gardeners

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wolf Stew wrote:
I'd like to see the Suikoden series dumbed down even more. Make the characters extremely easy to recruit (all you have to do is speak to them), make it almost impossible to die in battle, and above all *simplify* the story. Personally, I prefer stories that are very slow to develop, and then rush to a conclusion. And make sure you throw in a couple of vague teasers about Jeane and Viki that could mean almost anything.

And don't forget completely underdeveloped characters, even the important ones. :D (Unless you weren't joking, in which case I apologize.)

Seriously though, I'd like a darker story. Falena seems like a perfect backdrop for one, since it involves slavery and gladiators and assassins and such. And it would be really cool to have a female Tenkai star if it were set in Falena.

I think that more minigames and features that let you get to know the SoD better would be nice (like the theater, investigations, and suggestion box). Also, I'd like more minigames that involve action instead of cards or ::shudder:: dice. Kind of like the horse obstacle course in S3, but more fun. Maybe you could recruit a gunner who lets you play some kind of hunting or target shooting minigame, or maybe an actual horse race against other participants. They should take inspiration from the Zelda minigames. They're usually pretty fun.

It would also be cool if there were more branching plot points that requires more than one playthrough to see all of them. Like choosing to run away or not in Tinto in S2, or choosing the Flame Champion in S3.
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Samwise wrote:
Also, I'd like more minigames that involve action instead of cards or ::shudder:: dice. Kind of like the horse obstacle course in S3, but more fun. Maybe you could recruit a gunner who lets you play some kind of hunting or target shooting minigame, or maybe an actual horse race against other participants. They should take inspiration from the Zelda minigames. They're usually pretty fun.

If I wanted action mini games like Zelda, I'd go pick up a Zelda game. Mini-games are fine as long as they're not mandatory (and yes, recruiting one of the 108 stars is to me considered a mandatory part of the Suikoden games).

Because the game is developed by an RPG team, I would wager a guess that they would 1) target mini games toward people who like RPGs or 2) not know how to make good action-oriented games, and that's why they're on an RPG team.
Samwise

Gardeners

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, you got a point there, Arcana. Now that I think about it, most of the action minigames I've played in RPGs are crap (excepting ones found in various Mario RPGs, but I guess those are different).

I just hate being forced to play that god-awful Chinchorin (and other card/dice minigames that involve robbing you blind) over and over and over in order to advance the plot/recruit new SoD.

But yeah, more minigames that involve character development would be good.

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's why I like Gunter. You don't have to beat him, you just have to PLAY him.

Minigames really tend to tick me off. Games like the cook-offs and the theatre were very cool, but all those stupid card/dice games in this series! Mike, Billy, Rita ... you guys owe me big for all that pain you put me through. Tai Ho was bad enough, but Shilo was so bad I almost gave up playing S2 entirely!

The worst of them all is Igor. I've never spoken to him (since I HATE card/dice games), but my strategy guide says he runs a heads or tails game! What the hell is that?!?!?!?! Did they run out of character concepts that quickly? In S4 you have Igor, Basil, Rita, Gunter and Noah all running stupid little minigames. If all they could come up with for him was heds or tails I'd rather have him just sit there and do nothing!

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another thing that I'd like to add to Suikoden is recruiting townspeople. And similar to Dragon Warrior VII, the headquarter would be different depending on the townspeople that you recruited. Suikoden's headquarter (bar the Suikoden IV's ship) had always been a sort of "town" where people also make a living instead of a simple place where the army gathered. So they'd need many menpower to run things smoothly. That's why I think it'd be a good idea to make normal people to play a role as well.

Maybe something along the lines of:
1. Total of 108 recruitable townspeople (12 each of 9 jobs)
2. Total of 27 townspeople that can stay in your headquarter.
3. If the majority are farmers, then you'd grow food items quicker
4. If the majority are magicians (more like magicians who do research, not the fighting ones), then you'd be able to buy higher tier of elemental runes in your rune shop.
5. If the majority are scholars, then you'd have bigger library that'd give you extra information about the history/background of the Suikoden World in that era. Maybe get 1 extra rare item too, or something.
6. If the majority are blacksmiths, then you'd be able to sharpen your weapon to level 17 instead of 16.
7. If the majority are merchants, then your normal shop would sell better stuff.
8. If the majority are armorers, then your armor shop would sell better stuff.
9. If the majority are mercenaries, then your units in major battle would receive boosts.
10. If the majority are researchers/tricksters/engineers/whatever, then they'd create unique items (say 1 helmet, 1 armor, 1 accessory) that could only be obtained through this way.
11. If the majority are non-humans, then you'd attract more non-humans into your town, and you'd be able to recruit 3 non-human non-SoDs.

It'd definitely give more customization into the game without turning into a real complicated thing.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Providence Luc

The Millenium Swords

109035 Potch
275 Soldiers
71 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
Another thing that I'd like to add to Suikoden is recruiting townspeople. And similar to Dragon Warrior VII, the headquarter would be different depending on the townspeople that you recruited. Suikoden's headquarter (bar the Suikoden IV's ship) had always been a sort of "town" where people also make a living instead of a simple place where the army gathered. So they'd need many menpower to run things smoothly. That's why I think it'd be a good idea to make normal people to play a role as well.

Maybe something along the lines of:
1. Total of 108 recruitable townspeople (12 each of 9 jobs)
2. Total of 27 townspeople that can stay in your headquarter.
3. If the majority are farmers, then you'd grow food items quicker
4. If the majority are magicians (more like magicians who do research, not the fighting ones), then you'd be able to buy higher tier of elemental runes in your rune shop.
5. If the majority are scholars, then you'd have bigger library that'd give you extra information about the history/background of the Suikoden World in that era. Maybe get 1 extra rare item too, or something.
6. If the majority are blacksmiths, then you'd be able to sharpen your weapon to level 17 instead of 16.
7. If the majority are merchants, then your normal shop would sell better stuff.
8. If the majority are armorers, then your armor shop would sell better stuff.
9. If the majority are mercenaries, then your units in major battle would receive boosts.
10. If the majority are researchers/tricksters/engineers/whatever, then they'd create unique items (say 1 helmet, 1 armor, 1 accessory) that could only be obtained through this way.
11. If the majority are non-humans, then you'd attract more non-humans into your town, and you'd be able to recruit 3 non-human non-SoDs.

It'd definitely give more customization into the game without turning into a real complicated thing.

That sounds like a good idea. It may be a little extra effort on the part of the player but it may be worth it.

I really like the idea of the Suikoden Dating Sim Minigame. I'd be able to finally date Sanae-- err... know more about the female characters in the game. Maybe it might be possible to select the gender of your hero then if it's a girl, she could go out with the guys. Thus possibly increasing replayability?
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sometimes the gender actually matters to the storyline though. So I'd quite disagree if there were to be the option of the hero's gender. I mean, Riou needed to be a male to be in the Unicorn Brigade. Chris needed to be a female to be desired by the rest of the knights in her party, etc.

On the other hand, if the option is between 2 different characters as the hero (say Tenkai either Thomas or Chris, or between Riou or Nanami, etc), that might make sense if the roles could be switched around without the storyline suffering from loopholes.

The dating sim sounds like a reasonable idea, but one thing I'd be scared of is .... well .. you know, Taki ... Kenji ... Onil .... Krin ... Hoi ... Breck ... just don't sound like too interesting for dating, you know.

06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Breck

Oh come on you never know what pearl is hiding beneath that gri.. Eh I mean shell.

The same goes for Onil.

But seriously I wouldn't like it though it would be cool to hit on Jeane if there are several stars you can't have "conclusions" and by that I mean actually getting somewhere with the date like a girlfriend/boyfriend status since you would have too many and very shallow relationships and not epic love, or just love, I rather they didn't do anything of the sort unless they do a Whatever Memorial Hot Suikoden Girls Version, now we're talking about. :twisted:

Unless there was a mini game with the Hero's crush were you go to date her with no obvious result but you would kind of be in the opposite side of the date and she would try to woo you, now that would be fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: