Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Most/Least Favorite Types of Characters
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Like-I like Silent Badasses! Comedy relief characters!

Dislike-The useless secret character
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dislike 'silent badasses' for the most part unless they are done well. Which is incredibly rare.

Shadow from Final Fantasy VI is a silent badass I can live with. Auron from Final Fantasy X and Kratos from Tales of Symphonia are the types I can do without. I don't care about their teenage angst, as someone else put it in an earlier post.

Ditzy and/or conceited characters I like. Characters like Yuffie, Selphie and Rikku (from Final Fantasys VII, VIII and X) I like due to their sheer optimism and perkiness. Zelos from Tales of Symphonia is a good example of the latter that I enjoy.

I also hate child characters. Totally inept and unrealistic. Yeah, I'd take a 10-year old with me to save the world too. :roll:

I'm a romantic idealist so I don't mind the love-struck couples. Of course, it's annoying when the woman is made out to be weak and defenseless but there are times when it's done well and then I can really enjoy it.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Fundertaker wrote:
-Silent, cool, badass more than 20 years characters (they are the badass of the badasses)

You mean possibly, maybe, per chance, someone like Solid Snake? I mean that's a total guess on the kind of character you're going for Fundertaker but it sounds like a character you might like, a bit. Kind of.

You could just say that you looked into my avatar, it would be easier... :mrgreen:

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
cid

forgotten one

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Like-the characters that r seriously in the moment they have to be, and funny when they have to be funny

Dislike-antipatics
Cedric

Sol Ciel

472542 Potch
200 Soldiers
62 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Likes - My favorite characters are females with very strong roles and strong battle skills (Plotline anyway) to match. A lot of times, the lead heroine role does not fit this description, but lately, the trend is reversing. This type of character applies to characters like Beatrix from Final Fantasy 9 and half of the girls from Negima. Basically the types that make your characters say "wow" the first time they fight.

And JBL, as for your dislike for young characters, for the most part I agree. But the only exception I can think about is Choko from Arc The Lad. She's just too fun for me to dislike.

I also like those characters (at least initially) that make a notable appearance showing up your party. This isn't character related but plot related I know. I just wanted to mention it because most of the time, these types of characters act the same way. I just like the feeling when people like Sephiroth, Dias Flac, etc. make an appearance and proceed to eliminate the enemy you couldn't kill in three seconds. But the better feeling is when you surpass them later either by customizing your character, or something plot related happens making a main character the strongest of all.

I have no particular dislikes when it comes to characters. My dislikes are mostly related to plot issues rather than character issues.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Likes and dislikes of a character? Hmm... interesting topic.

- A strong character as a main character.
- Uhm, a good side kick who has a lot of personality- usually a female.
- Character who is hillarious.

Dislikes
- A wimpy main character, one who lets others walk on him.
- Selfish, rude characters.
- Boring characters that have been overdone.
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll start out with what I hate, because that's probably where I'll get ranty.

I hate weak female characters. Get a personality of your own and stop relying on the man you just met five minutes ago to save you from everything you come across. I'm tired of this "Oh, help me, silent, nameless hero whom I love! There is a plant in the road! I am helpless to do anything about it!" (See: Aeris, Tifa, Rinoa)

This ties right into hate number two. If you happen to be a woman, I have a secret for you. Your upper arm is not actually the storage place of all of your fighting and/or magical abilities. If a man happens to grab your upper arm, please refrain from turning into a quivering pile of useless. (See: Feena--this happened like, fifteen times in the game)

Also hate? Any character with a SUPAR SPESHUL MAJIKAL POWAR!!11! (tm) that is able to either (a) Save the world, (b) Destroy the world, or (c) Save, OR Destroy the world, as the owner sees fit. Stop it with that, please. The hatred is only increased when said character, somehow, has no idea that they possess this magical power. But of course, every villain in a ten mile radius of the character knows not only ABOUT the power, but how to build an intricate machine/tower/flying fortress that will allow him/her to harness the power for him/herself and take over/destroy the world. (See: Shana, Alice Elliot [even though I actually love Alice],

Which leads me to number three. Villains who want to destroy the world. Why? When could there ever be a logical reason for that? Oh, yes. When "MY GOD TOLD ME TO." Which is actually game developer code for "We couldn't be assed to think of a real plot, so we just decided to play darts, and one of us hit the Bible, and the rest of us were all 'Whoa, man. God's gonna be ANGRY.' which was totally inspirational, so, there's your villian." (Fun fact--The guys at Square did the same thing for Final Fantasy V, but the dart hit the potted ficus in the board room instead) (See: Albert Simon, Mull)

Next we come to The Silent "Badass," now, this badass rule has exceptions (Solid Snake being the most prominent. But, you see, he's an exception because he has to be silent). My main problem with this type of character is that they aren't ever anywhere near as badass as they think they are (Especially not when Cam Clarke does their voice--but that's a whole 'nother can of worms), in fact, they're usually suffering from what I call the Dance of the Broken-Hearted. You know the type. "OH NOES! My lover/friend just left me (Although in games it's usually death)! I will never love again! I'm going to die loveless and alone! I should just buy a grocery cart full of cats as that is the only way I will ever be able to know love again!" (See: Kratos, Auron)

Finally, I hate fanservice characters. The majority of the time this character is just big boobs, a pretty face, and nothing else. (See: Lucia, Kurando)

Now. The likes.

Strong female characters are like ambrosia to me. And sadly, they are so rare. But a woman that can take charge and kick-ass? I love it. (See: Koudelka)

Fanservice characters that are there for more reasons than to just look pretty. A character with a past, and a personality, and strengths, and weaknesses. This is what I look for. If the character looks pretty while doing it, then okay. (See: Sheena, Zelos)

Well done Anti-Heroes. This is...Rare. So, ridiculously rare. In fact, I can only think of one and a half off the top of my head. (See: Yuri [Shadow Hearts 1], Ryudo [first half of Grandia 2] )

Characters that break out of stereotypes. If you give me a violent, mean healer, I will be putty in his or her heands (See: Raine)

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Also hate? Any character with a SUPAR SPESHUL MAJIKAL POWAR!!11! (tm) that is able to either (a) Save the world, (b) Destroy the world, or (c) Save, OR Destroy the world, as the owner sees fit. Stop it with that, please. The hatred is only increased when said character, somehow, has no idea that they possess this magical power. But of course, every villain in a ten mile radius of the character knows not only ABOUT the power, but how to build an intricate machine/tower/flying fortress that will allow him/her to harness the power for him/herself and take over/destroy the world. (See: Shana, Alice Elliot [even though I actually love Alice],

Which leads me to number three. Villains who want to destroy the world. Why? When could there ever be a logical reason for that? Oh, yes. When "MY GOD TOLD ME TO." Which is actually game developer code for "We couldn't be assed to think of a real plot, so we just decided to play darts, and one of us hit the Bible, and the rest of us were all 'Whoa, man. God's gonna be ANGRY.' which was totally inspirational, so, there's your villian." (Fun fact--The guys at Square did the same thing for Final Fantasy V, but the dart hit the potted ficus in the board room instead) (See: Albert Simon, Mull)

I couldn't have said any of that better than you. Atelier Iris has the most horribly cliche plot ever, what with Lita, Arlin, Mull, etc, etc. I mean, COME ON! Arlin is just Mull with a palette swap! I thought those days were long over! At least Lita doesn't fall over every five seconds like Shana and Rinoa do.

And the God thing? It's time that organized religion gets ditched as a plot. Every religion is evil. Period. You're not fooling us anymore, game developers. Look at Yevon, Granas, the Aeque, and so many more.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: