Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Not an error, but a question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Not an error, but a question. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another phpBB forum of which I am a member splits topics (make a new one, lock old one, provide link to each other at the end of old one and beginning of new one) when they reach about 50 pages, and they give 15 posts per page. I never paid attention, here.

Anyway, I do have to admit that this other board has nearly 90,000 members and its database is over 10 gigs... But since this board has a lot of custom-modding going on, I was wondering if there wouldn't be an interest in doing the same? I don't know very well the workings of those boards, or if it would have a real effect on preventing database corruption or even lightening the load on the bandwidth.. But, well a thread like "New members thread" may gain from being split, considering the traffic it gets.

Good, bad, worthless?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is that all done automatically at that forum? That's some pretty good coding. I am not aware of pre-programmed mods that do that sort of thing.
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, no.
They have a good number of competent and helpful mods. *grin*
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, if it's done manually, it can be done at suikox as well. However, splitting threads doesn't really cut down on queries either. Queires are executed when specific data is called; for example, 15 posts from a certain thread. It's no different whether a thread is long or short.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wasn't there some problem on the New Member thread not that long ago? For a few days, it kept telling us that the last page didn't actually exist when you tried to view new posts or go manually to the last page. I figured it had something to do with its exceptional length, and thought that other threads might get hit with the same problem when they hit that length. Or was it a problem that was fixed across the board already and thus can't come up again anywhere else?
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That wasn't caused by the length of the thread, it was caused by user ID agreement errors, which I fixed.

It can always happen again, because it's the type of stuff caused by human error (ie. myself).
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you could always do what the offical jack forum did. make a sequal to the "hello I am new topic."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, that can be done as long as there is a reason to do it. I don't see one at the moment.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ok, its just when it sempt like the hello topic was havng problems. how large can a topic get before it goes on the fritz? do they ever?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They shoule never go on a fritz.
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kuwai, that's essentially the question I asked, and that's essentially the answer SARSAdmin gave me the first time.. ;-)
That's good to know.. I ought to ask them why they do it.

:arrow:
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blasphemy000 asked this in Highland if we could split/link topics in our nation, but we just wouldn't have the time do that for old threads at present.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"for old threads" ? How many threads do you guys have that have upwards of 60 pages?

Anyway, it seems that it's not to prevent any kind of database corruption or anything similar, but only to preserve the conversation, and maybe try to prevent it broadening too far away from the topic.

As the conversation in the "Hi, I'm new" thread is, hrm, inexistent, there is certainly no point in doing that for it.
I hope that wasn't a waste of your time.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually we have quite a few of threads around 30 pages - though my choice of words for "old thread" was poor (very stressed mind last night).

We can split topics if conversation starts to twist away, which is easier and quicker than the above - which would be a nice neat idea if we had the time. Perhaps if Sars paid us to work here full time...;)

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site Technical issues Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: