Suikoden United and Informational Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sci-Fi Shows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not pure sci-fi, more like a sci-fi sitcom, but I've always enjoyed Red Dwarf. I first saw it when I was in the eighth grade and KCTS in Seattle ran a marathon during their pledge drive. Someone had brought a tape for people to watch during lunch, and I believe it was my brother who had let me know about it. Then, during drama class, our teacher had us watch the first episode, so I was exposed to the show whether I liked it or not.

One of the most memorable episodes had to have been "Backwards," especially with Cat at the end emerging from the bushes after having done his business... backwards. Several other classic episodes include: "Polymorph" where a variety of emotions are removed from the characters, altering their personalities (and in the case of Rimmer and Cat, their appearance); "Meltdown" which featured a massive wax droid theme park, where Lister witnesses the (off-screen) execution of Winnie the Pooh and all sorts of mayhem with historical and fantasy personalities involved. "The Inquisitor" was a fun episode as well, with an insane simulant juding peoples' worthiness to exist, and subsequently finds Lister and Kryten unworthy. So, he does the one thing insane simulants would do... erase them from history to let the "runner up" (if you catch my drift) have a shot.

I can't recall the title of the episode, but it's from the seventh series, which was the last which featured Rimmer as a hologram. It ended with the Rimmer Experience, climaxed by an ultra bizarre song sequence praising Rimmer. There has been talk that a Red Dwarf movie will begin production next year, with the possibility of a ninth series if it does well.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always get attracted by Sci-fi movies or series, I don't know why but I think it is fascinating how it talks about other worlds and dimension, how it tells us that they are a lot of things the human mind can create and imagine, but the things that ticked me most about these kind of shows is the concept of fighting the evil and giving something freedom.

I'm not a diehard fan of Sci-fi, I just have a slight interest in them, so there are a lot of shows that I didn't even heard of, in any case few of my favorite ones are:

- Farscape
- Stargate
- Andromeda
- Dark Angel
- Beastmaster
- Hercules
- X-files
- Angel

Well... the shows above aren't that good, but I guess I got used watching them for everyday, and I watch almost every Sci-fi movie that have a complete interesting story, well... duh they aren't many.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't believe I forgot the Aliens movies. I have the Alien Quadriligy, which is comprised of 9 disks. Two for each movie, and a bonus disc with assorted special features. It contains the theatrical release and special edition of the whole Alien Legacy.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am only double posting here because I have something relevant to say (and my old one was a few months ago haha, oh and everyone check out 'Guests' stats in the above posts. Almost 15,000 Karma...and over 6000HP... would not want to fight him). I have never really watched Babylon 5 before on normal TV or Fox, but I saw the various seasons going for only $50 Australian each (Very cheap) so I decided to purchase the first series and give it a go. I have only watched the first episode so I cannot say I have formed any opinion as of yet, but in regards to the Babylon 5 movie pack that is also available to buy, should I watch the first movie of that before I continue?

Just wondering anyhow because I would rather watch it in the right order. Moving on, I have recently been broadening my Sci-Fi horizons and have decided to purchase some other shows and see how I like them. I know this may be a gamble but I only buy them when I see them nice and cheap (Babylon 5 for instance) and its not like I do not have enough money to 'throw' away. I was going to buy the first season of Farscape, but both the US edition AND the Australian one cost SOOO much. They are both over $100, and I would not save that much money buying the US copy, though they do seem to have better special features and extras...perhaps I should just wait a few months and see if the prices drop or not... Does anyone who enjoys the show know why they cost so much compared to other TV series which would usually only cost half the price, even ones that are new releases? Is it so good it merits such a pricey...price?

Oh and just in case the 'guest' stats reset themselves or something when I make this post, (and to not embarrass myself if something like that happens)

LVL: 10 HP: 6363
STR: 5 DEF: 188
MAG: 78 MDF: 18
SKL: 824 SPD: 107
EVD: 305 KAR: 13914

Last edited by Drizzt on Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

matrix...
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh and are stats donateable? I wish, because I would be asking this 'Guest' for a few HP and Karma here and there. Just a few thousand of each should do... Haha once again I could just not help myself. Oh and in regards to Stargate, Atlantis just recently begun airing in Australia. I have not watched it yet but I am still taping it. I have a few more Seasons of the Stargate on DVD to go yet and I want to watch them in order. I also have most (I think) of Stargate Season 8 on tape, but by the time I actually watch it the whole series will probably be on DVD by then... Oh well if it is not I will get a head start then.

I still have a lot of episode of Andromeda Season 4 left to watch on DVD, but I am slowly taking my time because I want to wait a few months until season 5 is released on DVD so I have plenty to watch. I hope season 5 does not become the show's last series though. It is simple, bring Tyr and Rev Bem back and the show will gain tremendous rating again and there shall be no problem. I hope they get their act together before the show gets canned.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For your information, Traz, I do not believe that SARSadmin wants members to start asking too much about stats. You can find a stat FAQ on the Budehuc Castle Forum. There are also rules attatched to these stats, such as the following:

SARSadmin wrote:
2) Do not complain about stats.

Just letting you know. I wouldn't say you are complaining, but someone else might read differently, so I'd advise you to not mention the stats of other members being "too high."

As for your mention of the Sci-Fi series, I'll have to agree that they're either hit or miss. Many of them really stink, but I've seen episodes of Farscape, (I have a friend who is a really big fan) and have been fairly impressed with what I saw. I heard it ends in a rather lame way, but I haven't seen the end, so I really wouldn't know for sure.

Also, if I recall correctly, the first season of Babylon 5 was really crappy compared to the rest of the series. I started watching that, too, at first... But, I quickly lost interest. A year or two later, I started hearing people talk about how good and interesting it was, so I'm going to assume that if you like what you see, it'll probably only get better. (I hope that's good news.)

As for other Sci-Fi, definitely check out Stargate SG-1. Almost everyone I talk to that watches sci-fi LOVES that show, and what little I've seen has been very good. It's definitely worth your time, if you can get it in your area.

Oh yeah, another show I heard is good (but new on Sci-Fi Channel) is "Battlestar Galactica." I saw some of the original episodes that featured "Face" from the "A-Team," and those were dismal to say the least. The new "Battlestar Galactica" apparently is really good.

I'll be honest here, I'm basing a lot of what I'm saying off hearsay. I don't watch too much television, but this is what I've heard, and the sources are somewhat reliable. Hope this helps you a little.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1133304 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Traz, if by the first movie of Babylon 5 you are refering to "The Gathering" then it wouldn't hurt to give it a go before getting into the series, as it sets the stage for the series and introduces most of the main characters. (with the exception of Franklin and Ivanova) I would, howver, recommend you not watch "In the Beginning" until you have seen up to the third season two-parter "War Without End" as it uses part of that episode as a framework for the story.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the Stargate SG-1 series. Love Capt. O Neal, Teal'C, Samantha Carter, Daniel and the bald General Hammond. Too bad Star Trek: Enterprise didn't last long thanks to the crappy time travel storyline.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes Sai Fujiwara that was just an obvious joke and not to be taken anyway seriously since it was a definate glitch with a user that does not exist anymore. I have been around here long enough to know those sort of things and am not one to 'complain' about anything. Not a problem though, you were just trying to do your job. And I don't want this thread turning into a 'Mod-User winge' because I would not take part and it would just get cluttered up.

And that sounds like a good idea Elc, I remember reading advice about the best viewing method of the Babylon 5 series/movies but I can't remember where it was or how it went. So I think I shall just stop watching it for now, buy the 5-Movie pack and then do as you have suggested. And what is this Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers spin off movie/series I have heard about? Was it just simply or a movie or was it intended to become a series and just did not make it?

And as for Stargate SG1, I wonder how well the series is going to do for its ninth season? I mean since Jack O'Neil won't be in the show anymore (except a couple of episodes) I hope it stays true to it's usual greatness and humor. It will be hard because Richard Dean Anderson was really the funniest part of the show, and with him gone it will be hard shoes to fill for anyone else, and would make the others seem out of character. But series 9 will definitely be the decider to whether or not it is cancelled. If the ratings are just a plain joke with Jack gone, then that will easily be it. We shall see anyhow. If Stargate SG1 was cancelled though, I would hope Atlantis got really good and sort of took over, and lasted for many more seasons to come.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

And as for Stargate SG1, I wonder how well the series is going to do for its ninth season? I mean since Jack O'Neil won't be in the show anymore (except a couple of episodes) I hope it stays true to it's usual greatness and humor. It will be hard because Richard Dean Anderson was really the funniest part of the show, and with him gone it will be hard shoes to fill for anyone else, and would make the others seem out of character. But series 9 will definitely be the decider to whether or not it is cancelled. If the ratings are just a plain joke with Jack gone, then that will easily be it. We shall see anyhow. If Stargate SG1 was cancelled though, I would hope Atlantis got really good and sort of took over, and lasted for many more seasons to come

Which alien civilization that you guys like better in Stargate SG-1, the Goa'Uld or the Asgard? I like the Asgard better, because they have their own bodies while the Goa'Uld are parasites living in host bodies. The Asgard also have better technology than the Goa'Uld, and Asgard space warships are better than Goa'Uld warships.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Asgard are pretty advanced technology wise and if they were more aggressive they could have wiped out all Goa'Uld a long time ago. So the Asgard are very powerful though they don't like to start 'fights'. And the Goa'Uld are realistically pretty weak because they dependence on hosts make them very vulnerable. They always act so tough but when the situation is somehow turned around and their life is at the mercy of someone else they turn into utter cowards just trying to stay alive. 'Yes I am an all powerful god bow before me! Arr! No wait please don't kill me! I beg you, please!" Things like this tend to annoy me.

I liked the Tolans, though they were not as advanced as they thought they were, and had they worked with Earth from the start they would not have had a problem later on down the track. Oh and yeah I like the Asgard ships better than the Goa'Uld ones, though they are both pretty cool. Imagine the fine special effects for television series alone in say 50 years? I bet they will be pretty amazing by then and spaceships will just be spectacular to look at.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The Asgard are pretty advanced technology wise and if they were more aggressive they could have wiped out all Goa'Uld a long time ago. So the Asgard are very powerful though they don't like to start 'fights'. And the Goa'Uld are realistically pretty weak because they dependence on hosts make them very vulnerable. They always act so tough but when the situation is somehow turned around and their life is at the mercy of someone else they turn into utter cowards just trying to stay alive. 'Yes I am an all powerful god bow before me! Arr! No wait please don't kill me! I beg you, please!" Things like this tend to annoy me.

It's good to have technologically advanced civilizations that don't start wars just because they can win them easily. If the Asgards acted like the Goa'Ulds, they could have wiped Earth out in an instant! Kudos for their responsible use of power :D . A nation should only use its military for self-defence, and not to invade other nations. Asgards rule! Goa'Ulds suck.
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well Jeremy I ended up watching the first Babylon 5 movie a week or so ago (which I bought in the whole 5 movie pack collection DVD set) and thought it was pretty decent. Before I watched this movie I had only watched a couple of the episode from Season 1, so it did not make too much of a difference. When I get around to it I will probably just start watching the first series from the start again to make the flow of it all better.

Not a bad show overall though and considering how cheap the price is for each season (about $40 Australian for a whole season, which is pretty damn cheap) so they are easily worth what little money they cost.

Now for the Andromeda front, I have noticed Season five has finally started to realise the episode on DVD at last, though I am not going to do what I did for season 3 and 4. What I did there was buy each individual double episode DVD from the start until the end, and not wait for the whole box set to come out. The thing that is really bad about buying them separate is that you miss out on the special features disc that comes with the box set (and what is the point of having DVDs without good special features?). And you cannot buy the extra disc by itself and therefore I am not stupid enough to buy a whole box set of DVDs I already own just for the extras disc.

Though the good thing about getting the double episode DVDs is that you get them nice and early, as the box set does not come until all the double episode DVDs have been released, and then you still have to wait longer. However considering Season five is going to be the last Andromeda series, I am definitely going to wait so I can own the special features disc, and it better have some nice stuff on it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: