Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

surprised nobody said anything about wanting this game to be a sequal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekknopirate

0 Potch
92 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: surprised nobody said anything about wanting this game to be Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seriously, after having played THREE suikodens since suikoden 3 release and not one of them having been a sequal is a bit disappointing. It's time for suikoden 6 to take place in the proper timeline.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why is post-Suikoden III 'proper'?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Last time I checked Suikoden Tactics was a sequel to Suikoden IV. Suikoden V was also a sequel to both Rhapsodia and Suikoden IV because it took place after them.

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We can be as snarky as we want to toward the OP, but hey, I'd like to see a game take place after the Suikoden III timeline, too.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My question is legitmate. Regardless of whether I want a game taking place after the Suikoden III timeline, (And I wouldn't mind as most of the timeline from the late 200's up to the end of Suikoden III has now been filled in) why is making a game set after Suikoden III proper?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Username

Kanaria, Most Intelligent Rozen Maiden

591783 Potch
0 Soldiers
4561620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I get tired of comments like that. What makes it the "proper timeline" anyway? Just because you liked them better doesn't mean it's more proper. What you call the proper timeline is just the first timeline created. Things do change; get use to MORE games that don't fall into the proper timeline. Even if six is in the I, II, and III time frame what about the timeframe created by IV or V? Should they be tossed away just because you don't consider them the "proper timeline?"

The pursuit of symmetry... Death The Kid, Patty and Liz.

SSBB Friend Code: Ace / 4339-2163-7352
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I say that thread starter thinks that nice even stuff is proper from the way he said that is is a "proper timeline". In my opinion the timeline is proper as it is We have no clue when what was so Konami can keep jerking us around in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think what tekknopirate meant was "a timeline which is set in a chronologic manner and moving forward like time properly should". Granted, reducing it into the phrase "proper timeline" was a little bit misleading.

That said, I am indifferent towards the setting of timeline within Suikoden as long as I see some connection here and there. They all are histories of the Suikoverse, after all.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It should follow a proper timeline once all of the events preceding 3 are justified by something which ties it all together later, then the series can progress forward from where 3 sits on the shoulders of events which affect characters from all of the suikoden games. Not ALL characters from all suikodens, the ones of import who choose to maintain important politcal positions.
tekknopirate

0 Potch
92 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Even if six is in the I, II, and III time frame what about the timeframe created by IV or V? Should they be tossed away just because you don't consider them the "proper timeline?"

Not to be insultive, but did you even think when you said that? :no: 4-tactics-5-1-2-3 THEY ARE IN THE TIMEFRAME! And they are all one shot games that don't matter considerng almost everybody from suikoden 4 and 5 are dead or are to old to fight by the time Suiko3 takes place. Even in the IGN review they say the only thing really disappointing about suiko5 aside from load times is the fact it's another prequal. And playing prequals is boring because you already know nothing world threating happens because you already know the future.

Suiko 5 is a good game but look how it ends.{SPOILER}......................................................... ....................................................................... ....................................................................... ....................... The hero isn't immortal, and suikoden 4 and tatics play into the cliched suikoden ending. The wondering the world alone and forever.{SPOILER}

I got to say IMO suiko3 was the best and had the best ending. And I'm ready for a PROPER timeline.
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tekknopirate wrote:
And playing prequals is boring because you already know nothing world threating happens because you already know the future.

Erh, nothing world-threatening has ever happened in the Suikoden series except for the third one, which turned some of the fans off because of that. Suikoden is not about saving the world, it is about ending wars.

And how would knowing the future would make the prequel boring? As far as I know, Dunan Unification War has nothing to do with Falena Civil War, so it should not take any excitement out of the plot.

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tekknopirate wrote:
Suiko 5 is a good game but look how it ends.{SPOILER}......................................................... ....................................................................... ....................................................................... ....................... The hero isn't immortal, and suikoden 4 and tatics play into the cliched suikoden ending. The wondering the world alone and forever.{SPOILER}

I'm afraid I don't exactly understand what you're saying here. Are you complaining that (spoiler text) the Suikoden V hero isn't immortal? And then you're complaining that Suikoden IV and Suikoden Tactics do exactly the opposite? Which would you prefer?

Or are you complaining that the characters from Suikodens IV, V, and Tactics won't be able to be in the future games? That would be consistent with your complaint that they're all "one shot games." But is that really such a problem? Suikoden needs a breath of fresh air each game, and new characters help that. Besides, the only sets of games that actually are closely related are Suikodens I and II, and IV and Tactics.

And is eternal wandering really the "cliched Suikoden ending"? It's likely that Tir will do something like that, but Riou certainly won't (assuming that the best ending is canon). At the end of Suikoden III, none of the True Rune bearers begin to wander alone and eternally. We don't know what happens to Lazlo after he wakes up. The so-called "cliché" only affects Kyril and Tir at the most.

That said, I would like a game taking place after Suikoden III, mainly because I have a feeling that Suikoden VII will be the last, although that looks rather unlikely now that we have a slew of new nations on the southern continent. But I wouldn't really mind another prequel, and I certainly wouldn't label it "improper." If the next game were to take place on the southern continent, actually, it would probably be best if it took place before Suikoden III, so there could be at least some continuity between V and VI. But if it were to take place on the northern continent, Konami should probably move the storyline forward chronologically.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would really really like the game to be along the orignal storytimeline and actually carry on the story from suikoden III and the Tinto-Zexen conflicts.I honextly mean no offence whatsoever by saying this but i do think that the story's "proper" timeline is post-suikoden III i mean it is carrying on the story leading to whereever the game will lead and i personaly thought that what John Layfield, and tekknopirate, where a bit provocative and i honestly mean no offence by this.I apologize for going a bit off topic there.

Swish

3rd H.C. Regiment "Plague"

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Solar Year 340: Crowley vs. Mazus(Both Die)
Solar Year 345: Crowley is Born
Solar Year 374: Mazus is Born

There is nothing "proper" about this timeline.

Now, i'm sorry... but i would GLADLY take a "past" Suikoden if it explains those three pieces of information. And if you disagree with that, i honestly believe that you need your head examined.

Let's all be honest here, we don't know everything that has happened prior to SY 478. Any Suikoden centered on a year prior to that date should be considered part of the "proper timeline" due to the fact that it will add to it.

That being said, i'd love to see what is going on in SY 500... But i'd love to see what the Senan Badlands are like in SY 339 more.

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone is so literal when it comes to the OP's use of the word "proper". Although many of you here will stand to the death and defend the sanctity of making Suikoden prequels, there are, frankly, a lot of people out there who want to see Suikoden VI take place and explain what happens to Harmonia. They want to see old ends picked up and renewed again. It was nice to see the connections between Suikoden I and II (maybe this is one reason why II is a fan-favourite), and then the more subtle, but still-present connections between II and III (especially with the plays, Lilly Pendragon, and Luc).

Suikoden IV, unfortunately, lacked almost all ties it had to the rest of the series, with the exception of Ted's appearance. This was a contributing factor to much disappointment. Perhaps one reason why Suikoden V has a much better receiption (I have yet to play it, myself, so please do not spoil it) is that there are many more links to the existing series with Georg Prime's situation and Lorelai.

My hypothesis is that how well a Suikoden sequel does is directly proportional to the amount of ties it has to previous games. Suikoden II is closely linked to Suikoden I, so it did very well. Suikoden III is distantly linked to Suikoden II, so it did marginally well. Suikoden IV had very few links, so it did poorly. Suikoden V has many links to Suikoden I, but perhaps on the same level as III did to II, so it did much better than IV and possibly about as well as III.

Thus, to ask for a game post Suikoden III that may start to tie up events introduced in the Suikoden I-II-III timeline may appeal to many of the fans and make this game extremely popular with players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: