Suikoden United and Illegal Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is it finally time to have more than one True Rune?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanwh

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I guess I should be paying attention. Zerase reminded me of the vampire chick in suikoden 2, so I confused their runes. Plus it seemed logical to me that if Zerase was connected to Leknaat and nobody else had her rune(and after seeing its power) that it was a true rune.
See, that's the thing. A lot of "true runes" really arent any more powerful then the Star Rune, or various other partial runes (Blue Gate anyone?)so does it really matter that there's only one true rune?
Though the idea of two countries each possessing a Sun Rune strength true rune could be a fun dynamic, not unlike the cold nuclear stalemate between the US and Soviet Union(aka if one strikes, so will the other and in turn both will be wiped out)
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ryanwh wrote:
Heh, I guess I should be paying attention. Zerase reminded me of the vampire chick in suikoden 2, so I confused their runes. Plus it seemed logical to me that if Zerase was connected to Leknaat and nobody else had her rune(and after seeing its power) that it was a true rune.
See, that's the thing. A lot of "true runes" really arent any more powerful then the Star Rune, or various other partial runes (Blue Gate anyone?)so does it really matter that there's only one true rune?
Though the idea of two countries each possessing a Sun Rune strength true rune could be a fun dynamic, not unlike the cold nuclear stalemate between the US and Soviet Union(aka if one strikes, so will the other and in turn both will be wiped out)

I disagree that some of the True Runes aren't more powerful than the Star Rune. I believe that it isn't particularly related to the user's compatibility with the magic of the rune. While they would have to be compatible with the rune for the rune to accept them, they don't necessarily have to be competent with the type of magic that the rune is capable of creating.
ryanwh

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So you think Zerase is what makes the rune powerful, not that its a powerful rune. Well, that's a theory. But the Blue Gate Rune is powerful no matter who weilds it, and easily outpowers half of the true runes revealed.
Dura Sinai

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The game ranges a bit. V has the least true rune presence with only one, but has several unique runes. On the other hand, we had a story that revolved around all five elementat true runes.

Basically a couple is fine but really as long as it ties into the plot well I don't mind.
Swish

3rd H.C. Regiment "Plague"

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of the 27 true runes, we've seen 18 so far.... That's averaging just over 3(new) true runes per game... But the great majority of True Runes mentioned have been in the first three Suikoden games. (5 in S3, 6 in S1, and 5 in S2) Only the rune of Punishment and the Sun Rune have been presented as "new" True Runes in the latest two games.

I would personally like the presentation of 2 or 3 new True runes in the next Suikoden game... The likelyhood of it happening seems to be 50/50.

But i think it needs to be remembered, Luc had the True Wind Rune on him through 3 Suikoden games... but we never knew it was a True Rune until the Third.... We might learn that someone had a True rune, when we all thought it wasn't the whole time... At least, that's my greatest hope....
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

But i think it needs to be remembered, Luc had the True Wind Rune on him through 3 Suikoden games... but we never knew it was a True Rune until the Third

Well, I think that we only got that piece of information as a result of a bad translation. I think I've heard somewhere that in the Japenese version of the game it was stated since Suikoden I that he had the True Wind Rune.

However, the chance of someone from a previous game having a True Rune that we didn't know about seems like a real possibility. They do like to surprise us fans from time to time.

Another thing that might be interesting would be for a character from a previous game to gain a True Rune in a future installment. Since having characters from previous games is a staple in the Suikoden series, this could also be a possibility. It would also expand on that character a lot, I think. Any character that gets a True Rune will probably be developed a lot.

We could also get to see one of the runes that have been mentioned in previous games, but have never made an appereance. After seeing the emphasis on Sindar ruins given in Suikoden V, I wouldn't be too surprised if they decided to include the leader of the Sindar in some way with his Rune of Change in the next installment.

There are many possibilities, that's for sure.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uhm..there were 2 true runes in suiko4.. ted had the soul eater..

i don't want to have a game with to much true runes...that would make it to complcated in getting a good balance of power in it...

I think they should use 2 true runes ..on one good side..(tenkai has it) and one for the villains..but that also wouldn't work in every game..only in games that had connected runes..like in suiko 2 and 5..
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hehe i think you forget suikoden 4 did have 2 true runes. The soul eater and rune of punishment.

As for suikoden 5 true we did not see 2 true rune but the night rune was mentioned and we learn more about it. My point is i think its better to only have 1 true rune present. For one thing the less true rune they show the more series we will have(in my opinion). Plus we get to focus more attention on the true rune that is the main focus of the story.
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think one new True Rune a game is a good way to do things, however, I wouldn't begrudge the presence of other True Runes we already know about. If you think about it, Suikoden 3 didn't really reveal any 'new' True Runes, as the knowledge of a 'True Wind Rune' made the existence of four other True Elemental Runes kind of obvious.

3rd H.C. Regiment "Plague"

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kikito wrote:

Well, I think that we only got that piece of information as a result of a bad translation. I think I've heard somewhere that in the Japenese version of the game it was stated since Suikoden I that he had the True Wind Rune.

I haven't ever heard that... but i've never gone out of my way to search the japanese texts... I do remember that in Suikoden II Luc pulls a Wind spell on Sasarai that is uber-powerful, but i don't recall if you can ever use that spell in the game with a normal wind rune....

Quote:
Hehe i think you forget suikoden 4 did have 2 true runes. The soul eater and rune of punishment.

Not quite, i realize that there were two true runes in the story of Suikoden 4, but only the True rune of Punishment can be considered "new" as there's no mention of it in prior suikoden series... I was just pointing out that in recent Suikoden games they've introduced fewer new True Runes...

Because i'm on the assumption that there will be no more than 2 new suikoden games(ending with 7), i'm hoping that they'll go back showing us alot of True Runes... keep in mind that just because we know it's there, doesn't mean we can use it(The Blue Moon, Circle, and Sovereign Runes for example). As long as we learn of a some new ones and their capablilities(so we can prey they're in later games) i'd be happy.

But we're at least garaunteed to learn of one new True rune... assuming they stick to the parrallel between the games....
mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

actually i think the idea of introducing one new true rune every game is good since it keep the game from ending quickly. unless they save the game for some background type incidents. Anyway i think it is best if we learn of one true rune every game
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Malt Hitman

31st H.R. Regiment: The 31st Wrecking Crew

9905 Potch
0 Soldiers
5035 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

m37652s wrote:
Of the 27 true runes, we've seen 18 so far....

Wow, 18 True Runes have already been revealed in the Suikoden series? I had no idea that so many were already established. I guess that is what I get for not playing the first, second, forth, or tactics games in the series. I also didn't make it more than a quarter of a way though the third either. If they do more than one true rune at a time it would seem that they would end up revealing every True Rune in three or four more games. Since they took the turn to one or two new true runes for the last few games they may switch back after or even for game six.

Commander Kikito wrote:
However, the chance of someone from a previous game having a True Rune that we didn't know about seems like a real possibility.

I could see a true run popping up from those oddball runes that have been presented so far. It would be a twist to learn that some rune that you thought was just a nice unique rune turns out to be a True Rune. It would be nicer to find out that you get to use that True Rune for your purposes rather than have it be used against you. Either would work well for the story but I would far more prefer the former over the latter.

Even if or when we learn of all of the True Runes and all is revealed that's no reason for them to end the series. We'll just have the satisfaction of knowing one complete part of their little puzzle about the runes and maybe get some more insight on how runes are created and distributed. We may not even know the bearers of all of the True Runes as they jump from person to person after they are dispatched in combat or they end up being removed by various other means. When they end up finishing off the story it would be interesting to see all 27 True Runes playing a part in that. Possibly in a climatic and cataclysmic roll as every True Rune bearer gets together for one final battle.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Konami will try to make more "one of a kind" runes, or make sequels with the same true runes for a while. I mean, we only have 9 left to see....
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mirage wrote:
I think Konami will try to make more "one of a kind" runes, or make sequels with the same true runes for a while. I mean, we only have 9 left to see....

and this is the best reason, to not build in more than 2 or 3 new true runes into a game..
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mirage wrote:

Well, this could definitely be a reason for not putting more than one new True Runes per game. However, it's also true that we haven't really seen all of the True Runes that have been mentioned. Take for example the Circle Rune and the Rune of Change. We have heard of both these True Runes, but they haven't made an appereance yet. I'm pretty sure the Circle Rune most likely won't appear until the last Suikoden, but the Rune of Change is a rather different story. As I think I've said in a previous post, with the importance they have been giving to the Sindar and their ruins, I woldn't be too surprised if they put the Sindar people in the next installment.

Also, when I say putting more than one True Rune, I mean it in the sense of more than one True Rune having an important place in the story. That's why I didn't take the Souleater in Suikoden IV into account. Recruiting Ted doesn't directly affect the storyline of the game, and the Souleater itself is given less importance there.

I wouldn't mind having a previously known True Rune make an appereance in a future installation. Heck, I would like it even more if an old True Rune had a prominent role in the next game in the series. I still think they could make something good, interesting, and different with two or more True Runes in the same Suikoden game. But hey, that's just me. :mrgreen:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: