Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Voices and Names

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Voices and Names Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's time for them to give the lead character a voice! Sure, making decisions is fun, but I'm sure they can afford to have the actor/actress say something a few different ways. HELL, for the most part one of the decisions is "......"! How hard is that?!

Speaking of voicing, I think it is time that RPGs stepped up to the plate when it comes to names. I think that if you name a character a certain name (like the name they are "supposed" to be then the characters should be able to say their name. I mean if you name the character of five Faroush then they should VOCALLY say "Prince Faroush." If you named him something like Tobias, though, they should skip over it like they do as of now.

Does this make sense to anyone? I really hope it does. I think it's a good idea.

Oh one more slightly off-topic issue I have: the naming of Castles/Armies! Konami forgot to mention that the words "Army" and "Castle" will be tacked on to the name you pick. Thus, I have named my army "Midnight Army Army" before. My castle was once "Glacia Castle Castle" even. You would think that they would be so kind as to just erase one of those words. It just pissed me off because I forgot to save for quite some time before choosing my army name, thus when I reset I had a LOT to redo.

Grrr... Okay I'm done. Sorry about how b****y this seemed, but they've pissed me off since three. (I think I named my castle something "Castle Castle" for that one too.)

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Speaking of voicing, I think it is time that RPGs stepped up to the plate when it comes to names. I think that if you name a character a certain name (like the name they are "supposed" to be then the characters should be able to say their name. I mean if you name the character of five Faroush then they should VOCALLY say "Prince Faroush." If you named him something like Tobias, though, they should skip over it like they do as of now.

That will likely never happen. The reason being it would have to be read by an automated voice. So I could be going along, listening to an incredibly well done piece of voice acting, and then get "Why SER A FIM? Why blah blah blah blah" just to use your name as an example. ;)

And the reason it would have to be read by an automated voice is simple. It's simply not feasable for every voice actor in the game (or, that has to interact with the renammed character) to record every single string of letters possible in every single possible context. Not only is it impractical from a Voice Actor's standpoint, it would take far too long and cost far too much money.

So, while it would be cool, it won't happen.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Voices and Names Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seraphym wrote:
I think it's time for them to give the lead character a voice! Sure, making decisions is fun, but I'm sure they can afford to have the actor/actress say something a few different ways. HELL, for the most part one of the decisions is "......"! How hard is that?!

A good point. However, I think the lead is always silent because we, the players, are the one who supposed to speak up for him and fill in the blanks. That's what I did.

Seraphym wrote:

They would never do that, for the sole reason of Konami insistance that there are no official name for the named characters in Suikoden whatsoever.

About the army and the castle. I agree. I wholeheartidly agree. If they could make Lyon prevent us from naming the castle "Sindar," why can't they also make Lyon ban the words "Army" and "Castle"?

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, that whole Prince Faroush thing. I just mean if you name any character the default name in any RPG. I'm not just limiting this to Suikoden. Like, uh, let's say Chrono Trigger got voice actors.

If you named the lead character Chrono (which was default) then they would actually say "Hey, Chrono!" but if you named him Steve they would SAY "Hey _______!" but it would read "Hey, Steve!"

Does that make any sense?

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, I understand what you are saying. However, seeing the way things now, I doubt they would even implement it. Konami never put a default name in any of the Suikoden games and they also insisted that they are no official names for them either.

Besides, what is the point of changing names anyway if we knew that the default name is the only one which would be spoken throughout the game?

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's already been said by a source that i've read that it's not Faroush. It's Falshe. A combination of both his parent's names. As for this topic, i'd have to agree with Scrooge. There are no official names for them at all. The names of the character are from the manga and some canon names. But, in game, there is no real name for the Tenkais (except Thomas)

One thing though, we might find their TRUE names in the Final Suikoden, but it'll be a long wait.

Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seraphym wrote:
Oh, that whole Prince Faroush thing. I just mean if you name any character the default name in any RPG. I'm not just limiting this to Suikoden. Like, uh, let's say Chrono Trigger got voice actors.

If you named the lead character Chrono (which was default) then they would actually say "Hey, Chrono!" but if you named him Steve they would SAY "Hey _______!" but it would read "Hey, Steve!"

Does that make any sense?

Have you played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time?

The hero's name is always voiced as the default "Fayt", regardless of what you name him.

A similar concept wouldn't work for the typical Suikoden, simply because there are no such thing as default names for main characters.
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I've played SO:TTEOT and I found that hilarious that they always said the default name.

I understand where you guys are coming from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: