Suikoden United and Illegal Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Goofy issues with Suikoden V

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeSquide

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Goofy issues with Suikoden V Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let me begin by saying that I love Suikoden V. I thought it was a wonderful game after my first playthrough, and I'm eagerly awaiting playing through it a second time and getting a less depressing ending.

That being said, there are several minor quibbles I had with the game that would have made for a slightly more entertaining game, and some features I would have liked included that they did not.

First of all;

...Let me use freakin' Georg and Zweig in the final battle, durn it! Two of my favorite characters, unusable in the game's ultimate contest due to silly story fiat.

Speaking of Georg...no Georg duels!? One of the most impressive characters in any Suikoden game, both physically and for sheer badass points, and there's not a single duel one can use him in? I don't care if it's him beating the motherloving fuzz out of a giant Furball; the man deserves some more spotlight time! (Note that I am a huge fan of the duels, and would liked to have seen some optional ones, as well as more duels with alternate characters. Belcoot's was one of the niftier moments in the game, I thought.)

If you're going to imply character relations...give them a little more grounding. Lelei's words to Lucretia after the last 'night' scene would have been a bit more effective with a few other mentions throughout the game, or perhaps a love not left around. (I'm of two minds in this particular case, however; the subtly of Lelei's fanatical loyalty blending into implied romantic love was also pretty neat.)

I miss the funny alternate possibilities that used to crop up in combination attacks. Now, if they had them in five and I missed them, please point them out to me! But there was something charming about them in the previous game's. Nanami's break midst her unite with the Hero was a hilarious in-combat repraise of their relationship, Thomas's unite with Ceclie turning into a strange explosion, and his bewildered look at his own strength was precious, and even Lino En Culdes being shot in the rump by his own daughter was worth a laugh. The lack of a different ending to the Sindar Surge (perhaps rotating snotting comments?), Ax and Nick failing to commence a maneuver properly or even the beavers wandering off to build something was a missed opportunity.

The final dungeon had a criminal lack of save points.

I would complain about the eternally reviving Spirits that accompany the Sun Rune...but after the Fiends from SMT: 3 Nocturne, I really wasn't too outraged over that.

Let me skip through and/or pause cutscenes, by gum! No excuse for that in this day and age.

I'm not a big fan of time limited duels.
I'm a seething, frothing hater over realtime battles. I have serious beefs with these, but that'll be posted somewhere else. On a lighter note, though, let me compose my own mixes of forces! I would have liked more freedom with who I fielded for which battle, and where.

Oboro is a pretty crappy detective. I need useful advice for recruiting characters, damn it! (The no-FAQ first walkthrough bit me in the bum. -.-)

...I would've liked some advice for gardening, so Goesch didn't end up with a dirt farm.

By the end of the game, give me some easier way to get the rune pieces that I missed along the way!

I hate Doremei Elves.

Admittedly, that's a personal problem.

I really didn't like the changes they made to physical attack runes. I understand that unlimited better attacks might be overpowered without some sort of drawbacks...but one use per battle?! WITH drawbacks!?

And speaking of physical attack runes...those were some boring special attacks.

More on visual elements: I understand that they were going for a Suikoden I/II look...but let me zoom in more. And let me stay zoomed in for long character conversations, and give me a few interesting character mannerisms to look at. You had great character design...don't hide it with bizarrely far out camerawork!

GIVE ME BACK MY MINIMAP!

And, finally, the most picayune objection of them all...

The Prince had some nifty costumes. Is it really that hard to let me switch between them after I first get 'em?

I love this game, and the series, but oh! If only the world worked the way I wanted it to...
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

there are several minor quibbles I had with the game that would have made for a slightly more entertaining game

don't want to sound like a jerk but most of the issues you stated are about as minor as it gets, they are more personal issues you have with the game than "goofy" ones that really cause a problem. The only thing I will agree with you on is that there should have been better leads to recruiting as it impacts how one would play the game, other than that everything else are really no big deal, I'm sure everyone else could rant about each thing they don't like but that'll just be never ending.
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I miss the funny alternate possibilities that used to crop up in combination attacks

Try the the Georg/Killey/Lorelai/Viki combo attack. hehe
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Except that attack ALWAYS fails as far as I know.

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That attack might fail all the time, but it's completely funny. It's Sheer Awesomeness makes up for it.

Some points in the first post:

- Realtime Duels = GOOD. It just won't make sense if it isn't timed. You could wait there for ten minutes and not do anything. Take the Luca duel for example. Would somebody as bloodthirsty as that freak be standing around for such a long time? I don't think so.

- Georg duel? Good. But who will he duel? Miakis after accusing him? Dolph at Gordius? Prince, just for damn kicks?

- Cutscene-skipping? Agreed. Especially the beginning. And every other cutscene tha isn't sad or funny.

- Oboro was good. His war ability is great, he gives you the whereabouts for the unrecruited ones that you met. Try have him investigate Sagiri's whereabouts if she's not yet with you, it's tech.

The only issue I had with it was no cook-off.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, but it never gets old. Hehe, Killey lost his hat! (The downside to SII having been made so long before SV, of course, is that we'll never get that unite attack between the quartet where things actually go right.)

Quote:
GIVE ME BACK MY MINIMAP!

...Er, there is a minimap. 0.o

Quote:

...I would've liked some advice for gardening, so Goesch didn't end up with a dirt farm.

Well, it's not any different than it was before - buy seeds in the various town markets, bring them to Goesch. Really doesn't need much explaining. 0.o

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actual i think what happens with the is RIGHT. Lorelai and killey both get a certain status effect although I dont know what status effect it is.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rune hunter wrote:
Actual i think what happens with the is RIGHT. Lorelai and killey both get a certain status effect although I dont know what status effect it is.

It's the [Unfriendly] Status effect. It disables you from joining in Unite Attacks with characters. That means, Lorelai, Killey, and Zweig cannot perform their unite if at least one of them is pissed off from the status effect.

As for the complaints, i have to say you haven't played Suikoden II yet or have not explored some other things (as mentioned above). You'de have less to complain about in minorities until you see the big picture. You're right about the SKIP feature though...

Last edited by VikiFanatic on Sat May 27, 2006 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's an angry/unfriendly one. Neither will participate in co-op attacks again until it wears off.

Both of the unite attacks Lorelai and Killey are in wind up with them having it, which kind of suggests they might be a bit thin skinned to me. :p

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LeSquide

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The reason that I called these things "quibbles" is that they're not serious issues, and are often just personal gripes. The fact that I think about them at all is because I really like the game. ^^

Regarding the minimap: I was referring to the in-dungeon/in-town minimaps that III and IV had. I always thought they were a nice touch, and was rather disappointed that they didn't have one in V.

And I did have Oboro try and find out Sagiri's wherabouts...and he told me nothing useful at all.

I'll have to check out the Georg/Killey/Lorelai/Viki attack on my next run-through; I didn't use Viki, so I never saw it.
LeSquide

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

VikiFanatic wrote:
Rune hunter wrote:

It's the [Unfriendly] Status effect. It disables you from joining in Unite Attacks with characters. That meane, Lorelai, Killey, and Zweig cannot perform their unite if at least one of them is *beep* off from the status effect.

As for the complaints, i have to say you haven't played Suikoden II yet or have not explored some other things (as mentioned above). You'de have less to complain about in minorities until you see the big picture. You're right about the SKIP feature though...

I have played Suikoden II (and fairly recently, at that.) My objections aren't serious, hence terming them goofy.

As it is, I'll be playing through Suikoden V again for the better ending (and all of the stuff I missed; I tended to mainly just use equipment and items off of dead monsters, so I missed most of the seeds that way, apparently.)
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

LeSquide wrote:
I didn't use Viki, so I never saw it.

OH dear. That's pretty sad. Though i consider it heinous to not try Viki, you really should try her skills. She's the only one with the Chain Magic skill, you know. Everyone here agrees, that high level Chain Magic is your friend. :D

LeSquide

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

VikiFanatic wrote:
LeSquide wrote:
I didn't use Viki, so I never saw it.

OH dear. That's pretty sad. Though i consider it heinous to not try Viki, you really should try her skills. She's the only one with the Chain Magic skill, you know. Everyone here agrees, that high level Chain Magic is your friend. :D
I'll give her a try this run through...and also, I'll know not to put my Cyclone rune on Sialeeds. >.<
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

The final dungeon had a criminal lack of save points.

Yeah, that really annoyed me. I had the brilliant idea of having Lyon with the Dragonhorse Cavalry members that I'd never really used at all. The only reason I got through the mini-boss was because of a fluke where I kept dodging it's attacks.

Quote:

I would have enjoyed being able to trade those products like in Suiko3. You produce and sell around the world to the highest bidder. I never got around to recruiting everyone in my first playthrough since I missed Wilhelm and gave up on getting everyone. It just left me confused where all my veggie's and fruit went since there was no cook. Basically it was just a waste to have it without having a cook.

Quote:

The Prince had some nifty costumes. Is it really that hard to let me switch between them after I first get 'em?

I thought Josephine would be able to handle it. I think that was her original purpose but it never happened. Over the series I wish they would have had these features where you could choose the costume of your characters. I remember it most in 4 with Lino's king garb and definently Snowe's costumes, though you could change his, even Lazlo's uniform. Maybe back to his Razril Knights outfit. O well, just another feature that could have been implemented, rather easily actually in most situations but wasn't. I realize though that the special cutscenes where it has the voices the clothes are kind of important. It would have taken lots of memory to make the scenes in triplicate or however many just to make sure the costume lines up with the motion. Having that baggy clothing may have ended up with his clothes going through another characters body, which isn't too big a deal when you see the not so great cut scenes with the sleeves of the queen's dress and Ferid's outfit just not lining up all the way and overlapping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: