Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Virtua Fighter Vs. Other fighting games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Virtua Fighter Vs. Other fighting games Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well i love virtua fighter and naturally pretty decent at it....some pople hate VF for its slow pace and that its very startegic comapred to tekken or DOA

what do you guys thinks...do you like VF like me and think its the best or do you prefer soulcalibur or mortal kombat??

Tell me why once you explain
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember being a fan of Virtua Fighter 2 back on the Sega Saturn, but moreso a fan of Fighters Megamix. I've always felt like the Virtua Fighter games had a much more tactical skill based approach in comparison to games like Tekken and DoA, though I can't deny skill can be an essential factor in victory for Tekken, you also can't deny that some people can just pick a character that dances and tap buttons for the win. I feel theres much less of this in Virtua Fighter, particularly in Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (I never really played 3 or 4), whereas it isn't unheard of to see a complete novice at a game like Tekken or Dead or Alive tap buttons (especially using one of the capoeira characters in Tekken) and manage to defeat a much more experienced player.

However, I have to admit that some of the characters in Tekken are a lot more interesting than the Virtua Fighters one. I remember being annoyed though at how much Tekken 5 blatantly ripped off Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, with the whole ranking thing and the buying new costume bits, which was one of the things I liked most about VF4Evo. I guess I can't blame them.

In conclusion though, I've always felt that in Virtua Fighter games, when I lose, it means something, because I've been bested due to the superior skill on this occassion of my opponent; but when I lose in a game like Tekken, it doesn't really mean anything, because its really easy to catch someone off guard just by repeating the same attack over and over, or something to that effect. I've never really factored Dead Or Alive into the Virtua Fighter vs. Tekken thing, as to me, its always been the game about the bouncing breasts. I remember reading the reviews back when it first came out, and how this was pretty much all they said about it; before then playing the game and not enjoying it in the slightest. I did find later installments more enjoyable though, but not to the level of Tekken or VF however. I wish someone would bring back a Fighters Megamix game though. I'm for unity not segregation.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally prefer the Soul Calibur series. I loved the fast paced action you get, and also the fact that characters are much more balanced than in any other game I know. You can pick up any character and become a good player, bringing much more variety when it comes to playing against friends(yes, I know people think Ivy is overpowered but that's not for this topic to discuss)

Also, the character designs appeal more to me for some reason, though they butchered Yoshimitsu with his squid mask and Voldo with his sunflower outfit. Oh, well...
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah i agree the characters in VF dont have a lot of pizzaz but i still like them

and i also agree with what you said about when you lose in VF you know you can improve and you usually do.
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I forgot about Soul Calibur, but I tend to label Soul Calibur in a similar manner to Tekken, in that its possible for a novice to pick someone like Maxi or Kilik and just by sheer luck and tapping buttons, manage to defeat someone more experienced. Soul Calibur is quite different to a lot of the other fighting games though, due to the old weapons and that which gives it an added element of interest in a way, but if I wanted a fighting game I could really get into, I'd still probably choose VF over Soul Calibur. However, if I wanted a fighting type game I could just pick up and mess about with, I'd pick Soul Calibur.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Sawyer

Magi Force - Alpha Company-

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

King of Fighters series are the best fighting games in the world. I think VF, Tekken, and Sould Calibur are all overrated button mashing games.
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

you must not have played virtua fighter then becuase its like the opposite.
Sawyer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have virtual fighter 4 evolution..and its not that fun..except if you play with wolf. I go to fighting game tournaments and most players like KOF and Street fighter enjoy this game better than virtual fighter.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's because they prefer 2D fighting games full of combo's rather than more tactical approaching 3D beat'em-ups where you can simply dodge your opponent attack ad surprise him that way.
Also, in Virtua Fighter, if you play against anyone that played it over a month and go button mashing, you could get a Perfect lose in a matter of seconds. In Street Fighter and King of Fighters you could have that situation and the newbie could win. However, if the expirienced one used Akuma + Raging Demon or something to that sort, it's a different story.
Also, 2D beat'em-ups are generally more fun than the 3D ones, but not as realistic. And out of every 2D fighting games, Samurai Showdown wins. Easily.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Sawyer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow!! I havent played Samurai Showdown is the longest..I heard that there was a new one out but i have no idea. I've been out of the showdown world.
Zelphiel

Apophis Berserkers

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm mainly a Street Fighter, Guilty Gear, VS (XvSF/MvC2/etc), and Tekken player but I'm a fan of Virtua Fighter as well. I don't really think of VF being more 'strategic' than every other fighting game. There is more strategy involved in playing it than a lot of other ones but the main reason so much strategy is involved in VF is because of its realism. Sega was always more concerned with making the martial arts involved in VF much more realistic while Namco and Capcom weren't very concerned with realism at all in Tekken and Street Fighter, respectively.

I don't really have a die hard preference though. I love all fighting games. 8-)

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah! a guilty gear fan, thats my favorite 2d fighting series.... do you have xbox live?

if so we should play an online match over GGX@ sharp reload.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never really got into 3D fighting games so i prefer the 2D games like Street Fighter and Guilty Gear.

But there is one 3D fighting game that i really like and that is the one and only Soul Blade for the PS1.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Got to say Virtua Fighter is my favorite beat 'em up game. Tekken is a button bashing affair.
jirotrom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a huge fighting game fan and I consider myself open to all forms of fighting games. You can name it and Ive probably spent some time on it. I have to stand by the OP and state that the VF series is the most technically precise and balanced fighter out there. It is from a design point amazing for a 3d fighter.

The reason it doesnt get much love in the US is that for the most part people don't want to invest the time it takes to get good at those games anymore mainly because it has become more difficult to find competition. Unless you play fighting games in a club its pretty hard to walk to your neighbor hood arcade anymore because most of them no longer exist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: