Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The True Rune of Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanwh

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All runes have the ability to effect the people around them. A healing rune can't only heal the person with it, who's to say a time rune could only take the weilder back in time? Arent the blinking rune attacks base on sending enemies to another time and space anyway? So neither Mazus OR Crowley would need a true rune of time, maybe a third party sent them back. That way there'd never be two true runes of time in the same space.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crowley will never possess a True Rune, he's morally absolved to it. It's a major character point that he wants to achieve True Rune power without True Runes.

The finite description of Blinking Runes is Teleportation Magic. This doesn't involve time travel. Furthermore, Viki's time travel has never been caused by her Blinking Rune, least it's never been said the cause officially. It's her sneezes. Viki also hails from another world where physics doesn't apply. She seems a bit anomalous to the situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think ryanwh is more refering to time travel in general in regards to Mazus and Crowley. To theorize that the two used the True Rune of Time is not very smart, as that rune doesn't officially exist, and there's zero evidence to even suggest that it might exist. That would mean you were assuming theory A was fact, just so you could present theory B.

It is much easier, and makes more sense to theorize that Mazus and Crowley somehow traveled through time, as there is no evidence to show that they were reincarnated. In fact, as far as I know, there's no evidence of reincarnation in the Suikoden World at all. However, as ryanwh pointed out, Mazus and Crowley were both born after the died, and have no birthdates before that. Also, time travel is proven to be possible in Suikoden (Viki). Thus, I believe this theory is even more plausible than reincarnation.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Except for one thing.

Why travel back in time in the first place?
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
ryanwh

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Prettymuch, he articulated it a bit better than me but that sums it up well.
Bottom line seems to be
a scenario or vital plotpoint involving time travel-yes
an actual rune of time-no
reincarnation-no
blinking rune-space, not time
only way to time travel-sneeze
Makes sense... :P
John-see "alternate future" point. AKA terminator or whatever. People caught at a point in time where the world is prettymuch screwed and there are absolutely no other options. And the end option ends up being that the only way to stop this force is to destroy it before it gains power(aka the huge destroyed landmass left by Mazus and Crowley before they were born). Or something.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or maybe the time travel was accidental.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If i had to say there was a True Rune of time, i am pretty sure the blinking rune would be its spawn. Maybe the True rune of travel.

mumbay

White Maiden Mercenaries

167500 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got a question what happens if they were born once and then they died and some how there were two children with the same name that were possesed by the power of runs((if you know what i mean in love with runes basically)) I mean it is possible they have the same names as well look at all t he georges and thomas's.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rezard

215744 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I disagree that this rune would be a bad idea.

I think a rune like this is a good idea to link the events that happened a thousand years ago with the present suikodens time line.

Also it wouldn't have to be a powerful rune: What if the rune's curse is temporal inertia? The bearer could travel back in time, but would never be able to change anything; he would learn that fate is unchangeable.

For example: his family dies and, no matter how many times he tries to change their fate, it always end the exactly same way.

Only the gathering of the stars of destiny can change fate, right?
Judo

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I kind off agree with the idea that they went back in time, but why does it have to be a Time Rune? Couldn't it just have been a Blinking Rune? I mean, they could've figured out how Viki does it, and did it themselves, since they are both very powerful Rune Masters(Sorcerers, Wizards, or whatever).

8205 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think kikito's view is the most practical one. In fact prior to reading this thread I had also thought of a Suikoden plot along the lines of protecting the true rune bearer, hence making the protagonist not be the true rune bearer.

This would bypass a lot of potential story problems and on Konami's part, they would have much less explaining to do.

And what better rune to fit that plot other than the Rune of Time?

Also, from my point of view, I think perhaps Konami may have already hinted at the possibility of the Time Rune, in the form of "The Rune of Change".

Apparently it belongs to the Sindars, which forces them to constantly be on the move.
Perhaps they have to keep moving because they have to protect the rune? Or maybe it's a curse of the rune...

It could also be an explanation on how the Sindars could have such advanced technologies in the Suikoden world as well. Maybe you can get to play as a bodyguard to the leader of the Sindars... and help them end their eternal wandering?

Hmmm.

Well, that's just about as far as my imagination can take me...
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(this is probably going a bit off of Rezard's post...but....)

I really like the idea of a rune allowing it's bearer to see/"travel" back to the past etc but the issue of time parodoxes and it being uber powerful etc does cause an issue....

So but...instead of a Rune of Time why not something more like a....Rune of...Memory? (ok maybe that's not the best name XD; )

It wouldn't involve time travel per se but it could sort of mentally/spiritually transport the bearer's consciousness back in time to see specific important events?
It would only be a "memory" however so they wouldn't have any real power to change anything major that would affect the present...
[This could also turn into a potentially nice way for Konami to eventually tie all the Suiko games together despite their erratic jumping around in the time line...maybe?]

So yeah....I'd think a "Rune of Memory" (or a similar name)....would be more realistic than a "Rune of Time" -which just sounds too powerful...even just in name...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is the concept of time not covered by the Rune of Change? Change means it begins one way and becomes another, implying a concept of time. Therefore, True Rune of Time becomes unnecessary. I think it will probably another National True Rune like most of the main True Runes in the series have been. We've seen and heard of others but they weren't with a national theme and therefore weren't the focal point and more of an aside to the main story. I'm still waiting for a True Rune governing vegetation. It's life but not human life, not really an element, not really covered by anything yet. Hopefully they can incorporate this somehow and still make a game with mass appeal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Acheron wrote:
Is the concept of time not covered by the Rune of Change? Change means it begins one way and becomes another, implying a concept of time. Therefore, True Rune of Time becomes unnecessary.

Pretty much answers what I was going to say. I was about to say that a "true rune of time" is not only too predictable, but too plain. Besides, don't all the true runes have the memories of the past anyway?

Though I do still want to see the True Rune of Change bearer change genders.
Quote:
I'm still waiting for a True Rune governing vegetation. It's life but not human life, not really an element, not really covered by anything yet. Hopefully they can incorporate this somehow and still make a game with mass appeal.

I could definitely see that with a "Dark Cloud" kind of city simulator.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Malvagio

Liberatori di Inferno

26524 Potch
63 Soldiers
123938 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's a interesting concept but as others stated, dunno if it would fit in the Suikoden realm. Suikoden is too rich in its history, I'd hate the thought of a possibility that can be changed or reversed. I also feel if they did compose a True Rune of Time, the storyline will more likely be too similiar to Windy chasing after Tir for the Soul Eater.

As for Viki, she has far great talent in Blinking magic...but I think she hasn't mastered how to control it. Nothing more then that I feel about her other then she is from another realm or continent. Usually involves her getting buzzed off the champagne. So either Viki is young to master her skill * seeing how she stays 17 for over 150 years* or she is a raging alcoholic. :wink:

I have no idea what to think of Mazus and Crowley, I wanna say doppleganger similiar to Neclord....then again Neclord had the Moon Rune. Reincarnation I have no thoughts, I'm in favor for both yay and nay.

"Devoted Protector of Lord Logg and Lady Valeria"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: