Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

La cuisine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: La cuisine Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got the idea from (what is your favorite food) topic, since everyone have his/her favorite food, maybe you can also give me your favorite food recipe. So I wrote on how to make (khorma) my favorite recipe for whom who likes to try it:
I learned this recipe from my mother, I hope that I am writing every thing she told me right, and so to make this delicious recipe I have to divide it into 2 steps.

The ingredients:

1 kilo hashed meat
1 spoon of chopped ginger
1 spoon of chopped garlic
1/4 spoon of curcuma (turmeric)
1/2 spoon of red pepper or green pepper
540 grams of yogurt
1 medium size onion slices
2 spoons of chopped coconuts
3 spoons of chopped peanuts
10 chopped almonds
1 potato pieces square shaped
Some (coriander, lemon, and Menthe) for flavor
Cooking oil
2 cups of water

Step number 1:
First, put the hashed meat in a pan under smooth fire; add a tiny amount of cooking oil to roast the meat. Then add the chopped ginger and garlic. Mix it with the meat and wait a little. Then add the curcuma (turmeric) and keep mixing, and for flavor, add pepper to the mixture and keep it under smooth fire, after waiting for few minutes the meat well be semi-cooked. Now add the yogurt, mix it a little and leave it under the fire.

Now we fry the onions in another pan, then we wait until it's color changes to brown, then leave to dry.

Step number 2:
Put the chopped coconuts, peanuts, and almonds in the mixer machine with a little amount of water and wait until it finishes. After this put this mixture on the pan that contains the meat, mix a little, wait a little. Then add the onions to the meat, and wait. Finally yet importantly, put 2 cups of water, and add the flavors (coriander, lemon, and menthe) also some pepper if wanted.

Whew finished at last it was really hard to translate the recipe from Arabic to English, I hope everyone tries it.

PS. Please share your favorite recipe with everyone.

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That looks really hard to make. :-/ But I can't cook anyway, I'm not even gonna try. :D
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lemon Pepper Chicken

2 teaspoons butter
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 skinless boneless chicken breast half
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1 Melt butter in a small skillet. Pepper the skillet with 1/2 tablespoon of the pepper, then lay the chicken breast onto the pepper. Squeeze fresh lemon juice onto the chicken, then season with the remaining pepper.

2 Saute chicken breast for about 5 to 7 minutes, then turn to the other side, squeeze lemon juice onto the other side and saute for another 5 to 7 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear).

3 For added flavor, add a few shakes of white worchestershire sauce during the cooking process.

Greatest food you'll ever eat, trust me.

Last edited by Leb on Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am sort of getting hungry now.

3128 Potch
112 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seafood Gumbo

1 cup flour
1 cup oil
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 small jar oysters (or 1/2 doz. fresh)
1 -2 cups crab meat crab claws and legs
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
parsley
Cajun Seasoning

In a large, pot make a roux of flour and oil. When roux is ready, add onions, celery and 1/4 cup green onions. Saute until onions "blister". Stir frequently, as this will burn quite readily.

Add 2 qts. water. Stir and mix well. Boil until the flour is "melded"...30 to 45 minutes. Add more water if necessary and bring to a boil again.

Add shrimp, crab and oysters...season.

Boil for a few more minutes (until seafood is done). Toss in remainder of green onions, celery and parsley.

Serve hot over fluffy, hot white rice.

You can use chicken and/or sausage also, and okra is really good in it too.
Yumi

Mysics of the Forlorn

0 Potch
170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Instant Ramen

Pack of Ramen
Water

Boil two cups of water.
Add block of Ramen.
Cook until soft, and then add flavor packet.
Remove from heat and eat!

Not my favorite thing to eat, but its the only meal I am capable of cooking on my own. And, its about the only thing I eat during the school year.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rorshacma wrote:
Instant Ramen...
Not my favorite thing to eat, but its the only meal I am capable of cooking on my own. And, its about the only thing I eat during the school year.

oh, these stories always make me sad :( ! i'll dig for some recipies very soon, hopefully simple and tasty, and we'll save you from the culinary poverty you've subject your tastebuds to during the academic year.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, I got me a cookbook now where is that Chocolate recipe. . . Ahh here it is.

Easy Chocolate Sauce: 1-1/2 cups

Ingredients:

sweetened condensed milk-----1 can (14 oz)

unsweetened chocolate swuares, broken in pieces-----2 squares (1 0z)

liqueur or milk-----2 tablespoons

vanilla extract-----1 teaspoon

Heavy Saucepan-----1-1/2-qt. saucepan

Time at medium-----13 minutes

directions:

In a heavy saucepan combine sweetened condensed milk, chocolate and liqueur or milk. Cook over Medium heat for time in char above or until chocolate is melted and sauce is smooth, or cake squares. Store leftover sauce, covered, in the refrigerator.

NOTE: To reheat chilled sauce, spoon 3/4 cup sauce into a heavy 1-quart saucepan. Cook over Medium-Low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Hope that helps people in the making of a great creation. . . chocolate!

Mysics of the Forlorn

0 Potch
170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, thanks for the kind thoughts, Schala-Kid!
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd be appreciated if people could add the overall preparation and cooking times to their recipes, as well as how many people each recipe serves. I pretty much only cook for myself, so anything involving 1 kg of meat is probably going to be a little too much. It'd be nice if recipes here were standardised so they include a common format and metric as well as imperial measurements.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Old recipie: Tofu and Vegetable Fried Potato fritter/dumplings

Suitable for: people who forgot to do the shopping. people who don't have much time on their hand. people who like "naughty" fried foods, but don't like going to fast food outlets. people who would like to be shown that Vegetarian food is not all "bleh". people on a budget. People with little to no cooking skills.

depending on how you serve it, it can serve about 2 people i believe. on its own as a snack, about 1 large unfinishable portion.

Ingredients.

- 2 Potatoes, pre-boiled, preferably Sebago (white/white dirty) Potatoes.
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup plain flour, sifted.
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- Nigari (it's a firm type) Tofu, about 150 grams or a little over 1/2 of a standard block? Don't need too much. Small diced. You could use silken, but PRESS & DRAIN IT EXTREMELY WELL! The texture will be much more fragile, so I still recommend nigari.
- Miscellaneous Vegetables, recommend carrot, courgette, eggplant, green beans, yellow beans.

Method

So you've boiled two potatoes. Give them time to cool, the best thing is you can boil them in advance and keep them in the fridge overnight to cool, and hey presto, straight into the cooking.

Mash the potatoes with one of those potato squasher things that make it stringy. You can add salt, but Salt actually draws oil into to food, and seeing as it'll be fried, you want to reduces your oil content, leave the salt for later.

Okay, so the potatoes should look kind of roughly mashed, it's lost its solid form, but it's kind of clumpy. Add your sifted flour and work it in. the best thing to do is not make it smooth. You can, but that'll make it like potato gems *shudders*

add your tofu and your vegetables. You can dice the vegetables to small pieces to have even distribution, or you can keep them chunky and big. Heat up a deep fryer or you can shallow fry it if you like. Deep frying is just quicker. Have some absorbent paper towel on a cooling rack for when they come out.

With your hands or a spoon, measure out about...hmm, a generous spoon to a spoon and a half (!) of the mix. Rub it between your hands so it's "semi solid" but not smooth. You want it rough.

Dunk them in the oil. Let them fry for a little until golden.

Serve hot, with your favourite sauce, in any way you like. You can use them as falafels, and wrap it up in Pita Bread.
Or you can dip them in some Sweet and Sour sauce, Teriyaki, Mayonnaise, Chilli, or Okonomiyaki Sauce....

Or pour Kecap Manis/thick teriyaki over hot dumplings (make them much larger, cook longer to ensure the middle is cooked), and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds, with a serve of sautéed vegetables (carrot and onion) which was cooked with soy/kecap manis, and a serve of rice and salad.

whatever owns you.

I know it tastes good with chilli mayonnaise and salad in pita bread. It's how I ate it! Oh and on the topic, I guess you can form it into a patty shape and eat it as a burger, I guess!

if you listened to my plan (and made sure you followed it) then they should have a rough texture, and taste a little like the "skin" of KFC chicken (without all the jazzy secret herbs and stuff)... I may be a vegetarian, but I still remember what that tastes like ♥

----anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe. It was a spare of the moment type of thing, desperate to use things in my fridge. It's based on falafels and Tempura, and the fact I'm Latino and love anything potato-ish.

If you use this recipe, tell me what you thought!

Sorry it's not so "directional", but i like to think it's wording is fine enough to remember the method without having the recipie in front of you. pretty basic.

coming up: "corrupted" okonomiyaki, Layered Potato & Feta bake, and "Schala-Kid's simple 'i can't be -beeped- cooking today' recipies" :D
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thank you everyone for sharing your favorite recipes with us, and I hope a lot more do.

Saben wrote:
I'd be appreciated if people could add the overall preparation and cooking times to their recipes, as well as how many people each recipe serves. I pretty much only cook for myself, so anything involving 1 kg of meat is probably going to be a little too much. It'd be nice if recipes here were standardised so they include a common format and metric as well as imperial measurements.

Actually, my (khorma) recipe is for six people, I know it is a lot of amount for one person, next time I will be sure to write about a recipe for one, and I am sorry High Priest Saben for my clumsiness for not writing the time to Prepare the recipe. Since what I wrote about is not from a cookbook, anyway in my future recipes I will try my best in finding the measurements for them. I apologize once more.

Shikigami

203358 Potch
110 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fried Zuchini with Dijonnaise Sauce

(Note: I thought up this version of the recipe on the fly, so I didn't actually record measurments, but I will go with what I think is right)

1 Zuchini
Bread Crumbs (I used about a cup)
Flour (About 3 Tbsp.)
1 Egg
1 Tbsp. Milk
Vegetable Oil
1/4 tsp. Paprika
1/4 tsp. Celery Salt

Sauce
(I did this as a ratio)
1 part Dijon Mustard
1 part Mayo
1/4 tsp. Paprika
Parsley

Directions:

1. Add Oil to frying pan, begin to heat. (Listed first so nobody forgets this step)
2. Cut Zuchini into thin slices
3. Combine Bread Crumbs, Flour, Celery Salt and Paprika in a flat-bottomed bowl
4. Crack egg into a small bowl, add milk, beat with a fork until combined
5. Cover Zuchini slices with egg, then cover in breadcrumbs.
6. Fry in pan until golden-brown.
7. For the sauce, just combine the Dijon Mustard and Mayo in a 1:1 ratio, and add paprika (you can add less if you want), and any other ingredients you might want to add. Garnish top with paprika and parsley.
Schala-Kid

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Another Recipie: Ratatoullie. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ratatoullie.

pronounced Rhat-ahh-too-wee *me thinks*. french provincial classic. great served on pasta, with salad, on crusty french-style bread, served with garlic rice...there's lots of ways to eat it, find one you like! this is basically another vegan dish.

You will need.

1 Eggplant (Aubergine)... don't have to worry about how the skin looks too much as it'll soften during cooking, but as usual, buy as fresh as you can afford, go for the less bruised ones, and...PURPLE. i haven't tried any other eggplant. you could use those narrow eggplants (chinese eggplant or lebenese eggplant? don't know) but overall you'd need to buy about 500-700gms... i think that's just about one to one and a half pound.

2 Zuchinni (Courgette/italian marrow) these things are green, long. look like zuchini, but they're heavier.

1 Red Bell Capsicum (Bell Pepper) it's red! it's pepper! it's good!

1 large white or brown onion.

4-6 roma tomatoes...doesn't matter how beautifuly and firm they are, they're going to be crushed.

Oil. enough to coat a big pot.

Salt and Pepper to taste. other herbs + spices can work well too: paprika, cumin, basil, oregano... and maybe a teaspoon of brown vinegar

GARLIC - i'd say about 2-3 teaspoons of minced garlic, or 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed... powder isn't good to use here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Method.

Cube eggplant and zucchini into about...1.5cm cubed pieces (chunky small, but not too chunky, and not too small), add lots of salt and place them in a colander/pasta drainer/sieve. let it soften for about 1/2 an hour.

Slice your capsicum lengthwise and slice to about 5 mm thick. you might just need about 3/4 of the capsicum.

slice your onion, as thick or thin as you like. i'd say thin and lengthwise though. that's just how i do it!

okay. add your oil to the pot. i'd say just enough to cover the bottom a little.

let it heat a little, and then add your onion and garlic, and let it start to sweat a little. drain the eggplants and run under a little water to get rid of salt and water, add to the mix. add your capsicum and salt pepper and herbs and spices, cover and let it cook for a while stirring occasionally. add your tomato in when things look like they've softened a little, just "squish" them like someone you hates head and tear them apart *better than slicing apparantly*. i think with this amount on medium heat it can be fully cooked in about 25 minutes - 40 minutes... depends how much you cook and how thick things are i guess. you don't want things too small or else it'll look slushy. depends on how you cooked it though!

ah, well, should be done, if right, it wont be tooo oily. garlic not too strong, and food not slushy. serve how you like *rice/bread/pasta highly reccomended*

Vegetarians - another variation is once it's cooked place in an earthenware single round *small* dish and make a hollow and crack an egg into it. place in the oven until egg is cooked.

my omnivorous friends - the flavours of the vegetables are to be savoured, and it's quite nice, so its not really one where adding meat adds much. it'll probably just spoil it and it wont match. sorry! but try it!
Njord

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok since it has been too long with nobody adding new recipes, I went and bought a two cookbooks one in Arabic and the other in English (I am having some kind of trouble translating it to English). As some of you requested, I am trying my best to write the measurements. So here I go, I hope you like it.

INDIAN CHICKEN BIRYANI

Serves: five people.

Chicken:
Ingredients:
5 long sliced onions
1/2 cup of hot oil
3 pounds of frying chicken
3 tablespoon of curry powder
3 tablespoon of turmeric
3 tablespoon of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of ginger powder
1 teaspoon of ground cardamon
2 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of curry paste
1/2 cup of raisins

First fry the onions in a 1/2 cup of hot oil until it browns. Cut the chicken into pieces and rub the combination of spices (curry powder, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger powder, ground cardamom, salt, and curry paste) into the chicken. Then add the chicken mixture to the fried onions and fry it until it lightly browns. (Keep turning so the chicken does not stick). Cover it with a lid and cook it for 10 minutes more. At last 1 1/2 cups of raisins and toss it.

Rice:
Ingredients:
2 quarter of water
8 cardamon seed
8 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
4 chicken bouillon cubes
4 tablespoon of salt
1 1/2 cup of rice

Boil water in a pot, and then add all of the cardamom seed, cloves, cinnamon sticks, chicken bouillon cubes, and the salt. Let it boil for few seconds then add the rice. When rice is half boiled for (10 to 12 minutes), and then strain it.

Return the empty rice pot to stove and add just enough oil to barely cover the bottom of the pot. Now add 1/3 of drained rice to the pot and level it, then distribute the chicken mixture evenly over the rice and cover it with the remaining rice. Add enough turmeric to a one cup of hot water to color it and then pour it over the rice. Cover the pot with a terry towel then with a lid and steam it for 30 minutes: the first 5 minutes over high heat and the remaining 25 over medium-low heat.

After finishing, serve it on a plate and enjoy it.

Upcoming recipe (LEBANESE CHICKEN WITH RICE)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: