Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Gay marriage in Massachusetts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Very well then.

1. Don't say a lifestyle is wrong. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean everyone shares your opinion. Also note that nothing makes your opinion better than another.

2. Don't contradict yourself.

3. Don't start a thread that can very well upset others. Homosexuality and gay rights are sensitive topics and you should know this. The fact that you replied the way you did is questionable, because what you're basically saying (as far as I gather) is: "Unless it amuses me, the gay lifestyle is wrong. I don't mind seeing two hot chicks going at it because that amuses me, but the rest of it is gross." Frankly, that kind of response is somewhat disturbing and is bound to upset anyone.

4. When someone gets upset, just leave it alone. You've already made your stance known pretty well.
tekknopirate

0 Potch
92 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow you said it pretty good. I didn't think anyone got it. But I don't mean it like if it doesn't amuse me it's wrong. I think the lesbian thing is wrong also but it's just intertaining to watch. So I see the errors of my ways. Sorry to those I have offended. I accept defeat. Well not that er..um never mind I'm gone.

I can't seem to get two things right :oops:

Last edited by tekknopirate on Sat May 22, 2004 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is always much better to say, "I think the lesbian lifestyle is wrong," instead of saying "The whole lesbian thing is wrong." The former is a lot better because you are stating it as your own opinion, whille in the latter, you are proclaiming your opinion as a self-evident truth.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

What's hurtful about them If people are hurt by my responses then they should be able to tell me what I said that is so hurtful. Or else I'm liable to do it again without even knowing what I did.

i believe others have stated that your responses are hurtful; you just weren't paying attention to what was being said.

here's a thought for you:

if the idea seems bad, it most likely is...if the post sounds potentially inflammatory (meaning it will anger/upset people), then DON'T post it.

easy solution; try applying it in the future.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

tekknopirate wrote:
What's hurtful about them If people are hurt by my responses then they should be able to tell me what I said that is so hurtful. Or else I'm liable to do it again without even knowing what I did.

Equating homosexuality to sex with animals is one good reason you insulted people. Saying it's disgusting, then going against yourself and saying you enjoy lesbian sex, is offensive. Acting completely innocent is insulting to those who were offended in the first place. And your acting like your opinion is the law of the universe is just irritating.

Who knows, maybe you really didn't know the harm you were doing. Still, it wouldn't hurt to calmly apologize and move on to something else.
Freddie Mercury

Fat Bottomed Girls

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My city is defying Mitt Romney's order hehe. Worcester is stating that they will still grant same sex couples marriage licenses regardless if they are out of state or not. I guess my town is acceptive of the marriage deal and are making a difference in this world.

My opinion of Mitt Romney has not changed still. He is a freak and I hate his guts. It would have been much better for the other lady to win but it seems that did not happen. I hate having Republicans as governors in the state of Mass since Mass has always been a democratic state. It furiates the living hell outta me.

Have you guys heard that Martin Luther king accepted same sex marriage. His wife, Coretta said that it is unfair to not grant the licenses to the couple. It is discriminatory. And finally, the Pope. He is all against the whole ordeal and is trying to put a stop to it. It surprises me that he sanctifies the matter of marriage being between a man and a woman but is not saying anything towards divorce and how it should be illegal. O wellz.

- Donkeyz
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We all know that the Pope is the Antichrist anyway. Or so says Tony Alamo. http://alamoministries.com/

I'm glad that progress has been made in the path for gay rights, but I think there's quite a bit more ahead. We still have states like Ohio, with their Defense of Marriage Acts, that slow down the pace of reform. I just wish they'd realize that there is absolutely no legal reason to ban homosexual marriage.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

donkeyz12212 wrote:
And finally, the Pope. He is all against the whole ordeal and is trying to put a stop to it. It surprises me that he sanctifies the matter of marriage being between a man and a woman but is not saying anything towards divorce and how it should be illegal. O wellz.

- Donkeyz

I once read a comic that was sort of like that. Mocking how people say that gay marriage would "ruin the sanctity of marriage," but then points out all the divorces, sham marriages, and other crap that aren't all that sacred. It just makes me laugh when someone says that. "It's a travesty! It will ruin the sanctity of marriage! Now, leave me be to have ten wives: five simultanious, two divorced, one sham for money, and two more dead under 'suspicious circumstances' after I had just filed those insurrance policies."
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, I believe the catholic church used to be very deadset against divorce. They've toned that down a bit today, but if you're Roman Catholic and you get divorced, you can't get remarried in the church without getting an annulled. (How easy that is depends on where you do it, I think; my uncle had to get one because his first wife was a violently abusive woman and it still took him a couple years before the church annulled it. But I'm not really experienced on these things so I could be wrong.)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dragonstar13

13th Dragon brigade

493466 Potch
5000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm glad that Massachusetts gave the okay with gay marriages. The only con I see is that not as many gay people would come to Canada now to get married. So less money for us in the tourist industry(finaically speaking) :P

Wow, after reading all the posts, I'm impressed that so many people defended the gay marriages. And I didn't even hear the 'it's not natural' arguement that happens so often. Also some people input some very insightful things, like animals not having the ability to say yes or no, and the divorce point was just lovely.

Island Nationeers

218645 Potch
1478 Soldiers
300 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am not the right one to speak about gay marriage, since I do not know about it that much, what I know is that gay marriage is between two persons of the same gender who are attractive to each other. It is not as if we do not have gay persons where I live (which is Kuwait) it is just that the ones we have are not like the ones in Europe and America.

The relationship between the gay persons we have in our country is different then the ones in Europe and America in many ways. The only thing that in there minds is how to satisfy there sexual needs in anyway even if is a wrong way, it is not like they have a true relation that contains true love and passion toward each other, it is just too plain and simple like a one day's gust.

In our Islamic religion, a relation between two people not of the same gender is prohibited, since our Islamic law states that a relation is only natural when it is between two people of the opposite gender. As a believer in Islam I must agree with it, but as a human being, I do not have any grudge against them, because I can not prevent them from having it, and there is someone else who well judge them if they are wrong.

To end my long discussion, I just want to say that I do not have any problem about them if they know what they are doing, believe in it, and know the consequences for doing it.

Luminous Army

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow...this really is a very interesting topic. And my take is....I dunno, the idea of walking in on two guys or two girls getting married just doesn't appeal to me much at all. I mean, I have friends who are gay, and I am fine with that. Hell, one of my best friends and fellow co-worker is a bonified Lesbian, but do I accept her? Of course I do, she's an awesome person to talk to, and I goof around with her whenever I get a chance to. I mean, I'm kinda in the middle of the road of all the gay marriage thing. One part of me is all for it, another is against it. And seriously, I don't know what to go with. I mean, my uncle has added a new repertoire to his "fake gay" jokes, where he's like "Oh let's go off and get married!" which is one of the reasons I'm against it, but at the same time, I recognize gay people as human beings. Yes, I might use offensive terms at times, but I do accept them for who they are. So again, this kinda brings me into the whole balance of for/against. I'm truly in the middle here.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A word of warning. If I hear any "white pride" rant here, that person will be banned along with anyone else agreeing with them. Capiche?

I deleted one long post which was way too offensive and trouble-inducing, and a few others that followed. I'm not in the business of educating people, but please, for god's sake, read the damn rules. If you only have negative things to say, this is not the place for you.
nightrider

1000 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just out of curiosity how do other countries outside of the USA look at gay marriage?
Rheo

Here and There

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I cant speak for all Chinese, but I am from a Chinese family without a specific religion background, and gay is looked down upon by the older generations, the main reason is because gay couples cant have children. Having children (particularly a son) to carry on the family's name is a HUGE issue in Chinese culture, not having a son is actually considered a violation to familial piety.
So people that dont want to get married also got looked down upon (like one of my aunt who is over 30 and very happy about being single), and couples that dont want to children got looked down upon (like one of my cousin who is married for 5 years and they still dont want any children), and people that got divorced also got look down upon.

So, the problem is not the gender of the partner, its more about whether you will have an offspring or not, at least thats what the older generation of my family feels.

Most of the younger generation (my cousins and friends) are more of the attitude of "not for it but not against it either" since gay marriage doesnt really hurt anybody.
I do have several cousins that are strongly against homosexuality though, and yep, they are all Christians so their argument is "because God says so".

In fact, I just argued with my Christian cousins last week about gay marriage -_-
I dont like to argue with people, so in the beginning when they were blashing the gays, I didnt say anything. But then the comments got really ugly, so I couldnt help and started arguing with them.

The most often heard argument the anti-gay people in my family has used is the popular "it is not natural" argument. We are not meant to be gay, you can see it in the body structure of male and female. Well, how natural is driving a car then. We have 2 legs, we are meant to walk, not driving cars. And how natural is medicine. If you get a disease that kill people, you are meant to die. Why do we try so hard to save people from diseases? It is so not natural.
and if God wants you to die by giving you an uncurable disease, you should happily accept his will and wait for the disease to kill you. or if you believe the Devil is the one who gives you the disease, then you should pray to God really hard, why do you go to a doctor?
(Although, I have heard a couple years ago about a 7 years old girl that had a sickness or some kind of born defects, she will probably die if she stayed like that, but there is a surgey that has a really good chance of saving her life. The parents of the girl refused to let the doctors operate on the girl, since they think its God's will to take their daughter so they should let God take her. The doctors went ahead and did the surgey. The girl was saved. The parents sued the hospital for doing the surgey on the girl without the agreement of the parents.)

And then when they couldnt counter my points, my cousin were like "Are YOU gay?", a comment which I dont know whether if I should laugh or not.
So if I think people should not discriminate against black, then I must be black? (how come I know so many Whites and Asians that are strongly against racism)
If I think rapist should be punished severely, then I must have been raped? (I cant think of anyone that I know who thinks rapist should NOT be punished severely)

I guess I really need to calm down a bit now. so let me shut up here.
BTW, I would love to hear some GOOD arguments from the anti-gay marriage side.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: