Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Leknaat's Character Development
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rune hunter wrote:
Well if I got SARs analogy right the back gate rune should be be exactly like the gate rune only a weaker version. So its should have exactly the same abilities.

Not exactly. The Front Gate rune has the ability to summon and creat monsters from the World of Emptiness. The power of the Back Gate is to dismiss and banish monsters into the World of Emptiness. Big difference in uses actually. The Gate Rune would then have the ability to do both. That is what the games have so far showed us and i doubt the Back and Front Gate are entirely the same.

On a side note, I guess the reason she needed help from Joshua was that the Dragon Rune had the ability to open the gate of monsters as well, aside from it's main purpose of opening the 'Land of Wings and Scales'.

Rune hunter

236548 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Not exactly. The Front Gate rune has the ability to summon and creat monsters from the World of Emptiness. The power of the Back Gate is to dismiss and banish monsters into the World of Emptiness

Is it stated in game that only the front gate can summon monsters?
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rune hunter wrote:

Is it stated in game that only the front gate can summon monsters?

To my recollection, it's not explicitly stated, no. Actually, we learn very little actual information about the Gate Rune in Suikoden I. Much of the information we have is rather vague, the Gate Rune was divided into two by Windy and Leknaat who each took half. This was done to escape from Hikusaak who was annihilating the Gate Rune Clan for reasons not entirely known to us. However, we can observe some powers of each Front and Back Gate Rune from their use in the game:

- Both Front and Back Gate Rune seem to give their bearer the ability to teleport themselves in a way that is somewhat dissimilar from Viki's "Blinking Magic". This may not be a property of the Gate Rune though, because both Sarah and Yuber also seem to possess some kind of ability to teleport around. Sarah has an "S" rank in Pale Gate magic but no Pale Gate Rune, which is somewhat confusing, as it defies explanation as to how she's able to effect the transportation. Yuber has a True Rune of his own which we don't know the properties of, and is also quite possibly a being from the World of Emptiness himself (though I'm not sure if that's been confirmed).

- Windy's Front Gate Rune was able to summon 100,000 monsters from the World of Emptiness to improve the strength of Yuber's army. Yuber and Sarah again demonstrate this ability as Yuber conjures up a boss in Suikoden II, and Sarah conjures up a summoned creature army in a very similar way in Suikoden III.

- Leknaat's Back Gate Rune in concert with Joshua Levenheit's Dragon Rune was able to dismiss Windy's monsters.

Other than these powers, I don't know that we've observed any other specific properties of either half of the Gate Rune, nor have we been explicitly told about them. Presumably, each one has additional effects, since they are True Runes, and we know that True Runes are powerful (obviously). The only thing which lends to the fact that the Back Gate Rune may not be able to summon monsters is that Leknaat doesn't do it, while Windy does.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well from what I see, the link between the Dragon, Front/Back Gate, Pale Gate and ,if Yuber really has it, Eightfold (I think some sources say it and Yuber has something to do with the World of Emptiness) Runes are that they are all Runes that involve some kind of access or power to other "planes" or "dimensions".

Dragon: World of Wings and Scales

Gate: Pretty much grants the wielder access to almost all "planes"

Pale Gate: Supposedly spawn of the Gate Rune, Summons monesters.

Eightfold: (CONJUCTURE) linked to the world of Emptiness

From these we can make a few conjuctures:

-These Runes are all involved with other "planes" of the Suikoden World, perhaps an common property of all the "plane" Runes is that they can allow the bearer to teleport around the place.

This can account for how Windy, Leknaat, Sarah and Yuber can move around by teleportation. It can also explain WHY Tir, Lazlo, Arshtat and the 3 True Elemental Rune bearers (True Lightning, Water and Fire) cannot use teleportation.

However, the big twist comes when we talk about people like Joshua, Neclord/Sierra and Luc.
-By that conjucture, Joshua is supposed to be able to teleport around since his "dragon" rune is suppose to have access to other "planes"(WoW&S). However, we never see him display such power..of course, just because he doesn't do it doesn't mean he can't...heh. This cannot disprove this theory.

-Neclord certainity displayed a few instances of being able to teleport, but the only time I can remember him teleporting is during the battle against him in S2. Now, the Blue Moon Rune is not KNOWN to have power over other "planes" like the Gate Rune etc, so it kinda throws this theory in wreck.

-I cannot remember if Luc and Sasarai can teleport. We only see Sasrai a few games(S3, SG2 AND S2) and his actions in both are limted. Luc never displayed any teleport prowess in S1 and S2, and Sarah and him are practically jointed at the hip...making it impossible to determine if he can teleport at all (I cannot remeber if he ever teleported alone). If both cannot teleport, then my theory still stands.

Now if we can only figure out why some mages (without "planar" runes) can teleport and how does Blue Moon Rune fit into this picture then we are rather set...I think.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You seem to forget that the Soul Eater does grant the power of teleportation. Ted's grandfather uses it to teleport everyone into the hidden passageway before he gives Ted the Soul Eater.

So instead os saying that it is simply a matter of the rune, one might say that it is a matter of mastery over the rune. Some of these people have had their runes for hundreds of years. That would give them a deeper insight into what it could do.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That may be true, or the fact that some of these people have the power of sorcery like Sarah. Sorcery and rune magic are different things, so i t may be rooted from that as well. Leknaat may know the basic magick of teleportation or it may stem from the Gate Rune. Luc may have known it through training in a manner of magic power and not be the runes.

Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

VikiFanatic wrote:
Rune hunter wrote:
Well if I got SARs analogy right the back gate rune should be be exactly like the gate rune only a weaker version. So its should have exactly the same abilities.

Not exactly. The Front Gate rune has the ability to summon and creat monsters from the World of Emptiness. The power of the Back Gate is to dismiss and banish monsters into the World of Emptiness. Big difference in uses actually. The Gate Rune would then have the ability to do both. That is what the games have so far showed us and i doubt the Back and Front Gate are entirely the same.

On a side note, I guess the reason she needed help from Joshua was that the Dragon Rune had the ability to open the gate of monsters as well, aside from it's main purpose of opening the 'Land of Wings and Scales'.

Yeah but I think it's really more that hes giving power and strength to Leknaat, not really because of the rune's attributes or anything like that, but then again who am I to say.
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah...yea...so I guess that theory is out.

Own'd!

I wonder how many things like this is actually not thought out at the start of the Suikoden Series....I mean, I was supposed to be a one-shot game.. :oops:
LeSquide

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

These are my thoughts on Leknaat's power and influence, rather than the more general topic of the various Gate Runes, worlds, et all.

There are many threads throughout the Suikoden games that don't quite connect, and many situations that don't add up, but I think the Suikoden World's chronology gives us a viable, sensible picture when we examine Leknaat.

In our 'earliest' (chronology-wise) views of her, she is a powerful individual. She commands the respect of mysterious, mighty figures such as Zerase, she intervenes directly, and she doesn't recieve aid from anyone else.

Then, for some reason, she absconds with Luc from Harmonia. Now, previously, Leknaat a powerful free being. She would act through agents, such as Zerase, but she gives orders, and they are followed unquestioningly. Her knowledge of the world's nature seems complete, and she moves quickly and gracefully through IV and Vs worlds.
In I, II, and III, though, we see no indirect agents; merely Luc. Why does she need him?

Windy, while never inactive, has a plan that peaks during Suikoden I. Leknaat is unable to oppose her magic without help from the True Dragon Rune, when we've seen not a hint of magical weakness in her IV and V appearances.

For whatever reason, Leknaat's strength is degrading, and her control over agents such as Zerase is fading (perhaps as they recognize the failure of her power.) This may have been part of Windy's plan, or even 'just' a consequence of direct conflict with her sister and the Gate Rune. Regardless, she is personally weaker.

This means that recruiting Luc is a sensible measure, not only to remove him Harmonia for some Balance-preserving purpose, but both to bring more mystical 'firepower' to her efforts to keep the Balance when it is so dramatically opposed...and possible even to train a True-Rune bearing successor.

In Suikoden II, Luc almost functions at Leknaat's proxy, not only bearing the Tablet for the Hero once again, but also intervening to prevent Harmonian interference in the form of Sasari's forces from ending the war. It looks like he may indeed be a suitable replacement!

...But in III, we see that Leknaat's efforts to secure a successor have failed. Luc desires not the Balance, but rather to preserve Free Will and prevent a fate that may or may not befall the world due to the True Runes. Leknaat has no more agents such as Zerase (or, perhaps, not the means to convince them to serve her) and her mystical power has not risen to its peak; it seems that she is nearing the end of her days as an effective protector of the balance, and only the Flame Champion's legacy prevents Luc from shattering the balance (and a true rune, and a whole freakin' continent) without her intervention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: