Suikoden United and Illusional Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden V's low sales numbers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Suikoden V's low sales numbers Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

what do you thnk the reasons are?

at gamefaqs somone said it only sold 5,000 copies in its first week which is like an all time low for any rpg.

i think its because of the bad reviews it got, it was extremely underrated.

another reason might be that it was overshadowed by kingdom hearts 2...

give me some of your thoughts guys because its crazy that this good of a game sold so little!

ps. i heard suikoden dosent sell well in japan eitheir is that true?
Molotov

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think one of the reason, it cast a shadow on suikoden 5. There was suikoden 4 that totaly slap suikoden in the face, alot of people didn't like it.

FOR THE MOST PART THERE WASN'T A COOKING GAME -_-..whicha lot of people like.

but alot of people left suikoden cause of 4.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's the whole thing with Suikoden IV to take some of the blame. However, I know of some that actually became fans with SIV. Another reason could be that Suikoden doesn't get much publicity done outside of Japan. In the US, as in many other places, publicity will make all the difference in the world. And the reviews it got aren't exactly the best out there, though they aren't as bad as SIV's.

Suikoden has never been a bestseller in the RPG genre, as far as I know, but that hasn't stopped them from making more games.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, please.

If gamers aren't buying thisgame due to the lack of cook-off contests, I fear for this series' survival.

Besides, how did Tactics do? If Suikoden IV's shortcomings was the real reason behind all this, Tactics would have sold even worse.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there is a 6,000lbs elephant in the room: Kingdom Hearts II. You know, a game in the same genre on the same console, that is critically acclaimed, with a really big ad campaign, that has been delayed several times, that is the sequel to another massively successful Square-Enix RPG? I think that might have dented sales quite a bit because most people who might have been interested in both got KHII first.

Suikoden V had little marketing, was moved up quietly (almost NO ONE knew it was out when it was even on these forums - I can't imagine John or Jane Q. Public was any wiser.), and is the sequel to a cult series that hasn't fetched the rave reviews or attention cult series like Disgaea has.

Quote:
. And the reviews it got aren't exactly the best out there, though they aren't as bad as SIV's.

Actually, they seem to be reviewing mostly the same- mostly in the 6-7 range. Which is fair for IV but (IMHO) incredibly unfair to SV.

Does anyone have numbers from April yet, though? We know March was bad,but there was a lot of activity for this game on GameFaqs in April (and still is), and I find it hard to believe it only sold around 5,000 copies total still.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD

Last edited by Sophita on Sun May 21, 2006 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh i forgot about how 4 turned people off!

i forgot where i heard this but i heard that suikoden 4 got alot of publicity and people payed attention to it, then it turned out it stunk so people were turned off to suikoden.

i found the 5000 mark extremely unbelievable at first too but supposedly NDPD stated that.

it had lower sales the first week then evolution worlds th elowest selling rpg to date
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really don't understand why those people gave S5 a 6-7. i mean, it beats out Kingdom Hearts 2 if you take out Winnie the Pooh from it, right? And KH2 got a what, an 8-9?

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Tensatsu Star

22507 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita wrote:

Does anyone have numbers from April yet, though? We know March was bad,but there was a lot of activity for this game on GameFaqs in April (and still is), and I find it hard to believe it only sold around 5,000 copies total still.

Just putting this link for reference: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101704

Scroll down and find the konami section.

Just recently, someone from Gamefaqs put out the total units sold for the month of April.

It's read system/title/April Sales/April $ amount/total units sold

PS2/ SUIKODEN V/ 21,553/ $859,848/ 45,080

Last edited by Tensatsu Star on Thu May 25, 2006 1:19 am; edited 3 times in total
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

so were 21 thousand copies sold or 45 thousand?

the 5,000 i said was from march

eotheir way those are extremely bad sales!
Tensatsu Star

22507 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

nocturne1337 wrote:
so were 21 thousand copies sold or 45 thousand?

the 5,000 i said was from march

eotheir way those are extremely bad sales!

Overall, it sold 45,000. I thought it was 8k sold for the month of March.
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

oh i might have been wrong but i swear the people at gamefaqs were saying it was on NPD but its gamefaqs....
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's almost unheard of for a game's sales to surge from 5000 one month to 45000 the next-- even if a game is released midway through the first month.
nocturne1337

Rebels of Truth

-963 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

like i said i dotn know for sure but i doubt the many people on gamefaqs where lieing considering they really want suikoden to be succesful too.

but this game is a word of mouth game and suikoden was realeased like one the 25 of marth wasnt it?
Okita_chan

1st Guards

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm if Kingdom Hearts 2 is the reason for Suikoden V low sales, it will be similar to the situation of the original Suikoden game with Final Fantasy 7 and a number of big shot game coming out the same time.

But I will say Suikoden 4 is the main reason if anyone decided to give up on the series. Althought Suikoden Tactics helped to redeem the game.

But a suikoden fan will always be a suikoden fan, the great story is all linked, missing one game to us is like missing one movie of Lotr :wink:
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. I think it's more of the poor gameplay of Suikoden IV that may have done more damage than the release of better known games. I don't want to offend all the SIV fanatics there but that's one thing i have to say that could be one of the major causes of this dilemma...

KHII may be a big problem in terms of release dates, but surely those who like the game may prefer to buy both. As Okita said, missing one Suikoden is pretty much gonna leave you in the dust when it comes to understanding th game... ^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: