Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

108: The Number in Life
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: 108: The Number in Life Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Do you ever find that, after playing some Suikoden games, you see the number 108 very often.

Such as, looking at your watch, and seeing that the time is 01:08, or playing some other game, and seeing yourself dealing 108 damage.

It happens all the time for me. Does it for you?

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yesh like when I get 108 potch here, or when my post count is 108. I get all giddy!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I sometimes see 108 here and there, but usually I see 666 more often, like when i level up, only 666 more exp. to go, or when i buy something, i have 666 potch/gil/whatever left, and when i attack, the amount of damage is 666. should i be afraid?

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yeah I still remember that way back when I had 108 posts on the forum, I thought it was absolutely crazy, and I found it really amusing for all the 5 minutes that it applied. However most of the time 108 doesnt really apply in my life considering that I am working a good portion of the time when it is 1:08 so I dont have the time to notice anything like that. As far as that time in the morning, well I am usually busy, drunk, or too tired to notice a small time deal such as that in my busy day. However considering that today was my day off, I did manage to take notice of that this afternoon because I have a day off today much to my dismay. I know it's a cute thing to take notice of when you are going about your day, however I would rather have been working today actually. However, there is not a heck of a lot that I can do about it right now, besides work through it as always.

La Raza de Héroes y Protectores de Osito

938390 Potch
1120 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I was thinking about making this topic, but then 108 Dalmations: Pongos revenage was on.

Yeah, the number is in my life A LOT. Actaully, just last Tuesday, in class, my teacher told us to turn to Page 108. I can even tell you what Lab it was(something about finding the ratio of Fish in water per Cemeter...). When ever I give 108 damage to an enemy I think they should attomaticly die. The day I came to page 108 in Malcolm X, I read the page 12 times!

Being the suikoden fan that I am, I keep the number 108 dear to my heart, whenever it comes up at least.

J et J

Angelus on Aftershave wrote:
But it stings SO GOOD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hm... I rarely encounter the number 108 in everyday life, but I do take note of it when such an encounter occurs. But I do have a similar situation; my eyes are inexplicably drawn to the clock whenever the time is 9:11.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No... I guess I haven't been playing the games obsessively enough to take notice. o.O

Incidentally, I would like to see Suikoden VI released in January 2008.

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This happens to me with various things. I have a knack for encountering improbable things such as this. I've seen 1:08 several times, but I also encounter 5:55, 11:11, and 12:34-type times much more.

I have encountered 108 a few times. Off the top of my head, I can think of several times where I've encountered 108 in my math class. I also noticed the Final Fantasy Tactics item, 108 Gems. That was cool.

Oh, and I thought this would be the appropriate topic to mention that the other day, while learning about China in my world history class, I came across Water Margins, which was writting by Ming scholars. That made me mention Suikoden and everyone looked at me like I was a nerd. Pfft.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The number 108 apparently carries more power than the average number. Not just the coincidental running across of 1:08 on the watch or something erroneous like that.

108 appears as a very important number in the television show Lost. Nutflush and Sophita will back me up on this. Withou spoiling the show in any way, there's a timer that when reset resets to 108 Minutes. Also, there are "magic Numbers" that one character is deathly afraid of. 4, 8 ,16, 23, and 42, add them together and you get... yep 108.

Everyone's Grudge beat me to the Final Fantasy Tactics reference of 108 Gems, the accessory supposedly nullifies the Frog status (and most likely a few others, but this is why I used them) of course what Everyone's Grudge didn't go into (most likely because he never knew this) is why the game had an item called this. The Hindus believe that their deities have 108 names, and they recite them with a beaded necklace with 1 bead per name. Similar to a Catholic rosary, saying the Mala (the real name for the Hindi 108 Gems) is said to be a spiritually cleansing act.

Baseball fans can rejoice to 108 because thats how many stitches are on every single standard issue baseball in the Major Leagues. I believe this is mere coincidence but I have yet to find any historical reference to why they couldn't squeeze in two more stitches and make it an even 110.

And finally, to ring the final bell on this post, when the Japanese celebrate the end of a year they ring a bell 108 times. There's one ring per temptation that you must overcome to reach nirvana.

Oh, and before you go praising me with your love, I'm going to say that I looked the number 108 up on Wikipedia. I knew the origin of the FFT 108 Gems origin and the Lost thing, but the Japan one I cheated on. I knew the baseball one too, but it didn't come to mind until I saw it on Wikipedia.

Oh and Eggies, I had a similar moment like that with my friends. Two of them were talking about Water Margins and I brought up Suikoden and they stared blankly at me like I had corn popping out from my nostrils. I guess we're in a league of our own.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That lost addition doesn't add up to 108. Forget a number or something?

Thanks for the explanation for the 108 gems. I had always wondered why the number was chosen.

I'm a baseball fan and I'm ashamed not to have known about that stitches thing. I really should have known that. Oh well. At least I know now.
Tron Bonne

The party members you never use

579843 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah, he forgot the number 15. otherwise, you just get 93. or at least that's what google tells me anyway.

Sol Incorruptible

68845 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i like that 108 can be expressed as the product of nⁿ x (n+1)ⁿ+¹, (n+2)ⁿ+²

where once can visualise the addition sign being superscript.

for the case when n=1

1¹ x 2² x 3³= 108 - that's special! and you can even throw in 0^(0) in there as it will still be 108.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, personally, since playing the Suikoden series so obsesively, I have noticed the number 108 popping up here and there. I'm sure I saw it just as often before, it just has a special meaning now. It's kind of nice, really, in a nerdy sort of way.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Lost/Japanese Bell/FFT references RedCydranth made (and also the fact that there are 108 stars of destiny in Suikoden) is due to the fact that 108 is a divine number in religion (probably since it can be split in many other holy numbers, like 9x12 and 4x27 and 2x3x3x3x2; and because it has many interesting mathematical traits, like Schala-Kid pointed out). It is associated with God in Hinduism, mainly Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva (Shiva's and Krishna's favorite, and Ganesh's lucky number; it's also the number of their names), and with God in the Abrahamic faiths (God's name has 216 letters for example), and it is also important in Daosim, Buddhism and ancient European polytheism.

But that's not what this thread is about. It is about encountering the number in everyday life.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vertius wrote:
Do you ever find that, after playing some Suikoden games, you see the number 108 very often.

Now that you mention it i honestly cannot say i have encountered this yet! Am i the only one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: