Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Retrogaming
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olorin

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Retrogaming Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to know if there is any retogamer here.
I love retrogaming , all the old consoles , 8bits 16 bits. I love Nintendo and especially Super Nes. It's the queen of the console. it rules !
I enjoy playing at Mario today , and it's more fun that a lot a game we can see today
Final Fantasy VI
Super Mario Bros.
Zelda : a Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country
Megaman
Star Fox
Super Mario Kart
F-Zero
Street Fighter
All these games are legends!

There is great games on our PS2 , XBOX or Gamecube but ... It's different
SuperNes and all the retro consoles is magic !
I don't think i'll play Tony Hawk's in 10 years!

So , how about you ? Are you retrogamers ? What do you think about that ?
Koeneloen

V-TOWN

4000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I agree I still have a NES and a SNES
The games I own are still very good to play like The two zelda's one the NES.
I have some very rare games that I like to play here's a short list

Nes:
The Legend Of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II (this game is so the bomb with multiplayer)
Metal Gear I and II (nowadays Metal Gear Solid)
Kirby's Dreamland
Double Dragon III
Battletoads
Mario 1,2 and 3

Snes:
Zelda: a Link to the past
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
All the Mortal Kombats
All the Street Fighters
Robotrek
Illusion of Gaia
Super Mario Kart
All the other Super Mario's
Donkey Kong Country 1,2 and 3
Lufia
Super Metroid

Nice collection eh?
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

unfortunatly im a bit too young to have fully grasped the NES/SNES era when it first came around, but through emulation (only of games my brother already bought when we had a SNES, so perfectly leagal) i found a new love for it.

i do like FF6, but ive only ever played the playstation version, but i doubt that theres much difference, well appart from the controls obviously.
Zaj I mean Mike

I just sell weapons

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Snes

Breath of Fire 1 & 2

Super Mario RPG

Legend of Zelda:A link to the past

CLERKS
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Once again, Genesis is noticably absent because of Nintendo fans.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 and Knuckles
Gunstar Heroes
Vector Man
Shinobi
Revenge of Shinobi
Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
Alladin for Genesis
Lion King
Comix Zone
The Jungle Book
Street Fighter II all versions
Fatal Fury
Toy Story
Zombies at my Neighbors
Shining Force
Dynamite Headdy

Just a few...

Personally though, I find games more interesting these days than days of old. They've evolved so much in the past 10 years.
Kane of the Black Sea

Pilage and Plunder

77740 Potch
208 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love Retro games I think they're awesome. I especially like how they are rereleasing some of them on newer consoles. It just gives me to play them with a controller instead of on my computer. I don't know what everyone elses POV is on the subject of rereleases but I like it. :twisted:

Nameless Lands : Chikei - Avenging Star
Sig art by ardPSiko

All I want out of Life it to be a monkey of moderate intelligence who wears a suit.
Dooz

Buttered-up Old Men

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro wrote:
Once again, Genesis is noticably absent because of Nintendo fans.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 and Knuckles
Gunstar Heroes
Vector Man
Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
Comix Zone
Fatal Fury
Shining Force

Agreed. Those are all good games (I purged the ones I haven't played).

But anyways, I'm a pretty huge retrogamer. I play more old games then new. I dunno why either. I just tend to have more fun with older games. I won't deny the greatness of some newer games, though.

If you're interested, I compiled a list of my games here. I don't have too many games for the older systems, unfortionately, which is why I turn to emulation quite frequently. It's too bad that it's just not quite the same as playing the real thing. I can't explain why.

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even though i have not played the Genesis or the Super Nintendo in long time, these are the games i loved playing

Genesis
Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2 & 3 and Knuckles
Shinobi
Revenge of Shinobi
Street Fighter II (all versions)
Mortal Kombat (all releases)
Fatal Fury
Shining Force I and II
The Streets of Rage 1 and 2

Super Nintendo
Mortal Kombat (all releases)
Street Fighter II (all versions)
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario (all releases)
Donkey Kong Country 1,2 and 3
Olorin

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm very happy to see that people is still playing old games.
I don't own a lot of games because it's hard to find cheap games.
I check on ebay often but i think they're all very expensive !
But I have a few friend who have the same passion for retrogaming so we compile all our games.
I'm not a big fan of genesis , there are great game on it but i think Super Nes is better :)

It will be interesting if someone who hates old games would come here to discuss with us.

you all have interesting collection , I'm feel a little ashamed to create this topic and have 10-15 games !
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is gonna be quite a list, thank god for emulation! :mrgreen: I get the feeling I've forgotten a game or two though...

Sega Mega Drive/Genesis
Shining Force 1 & 2
General Chaos
Warsong
Alex the Kidd
Micro Machines 2
Wonderboy in Monster World
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles
Lemmings
Gunstar

Super Nintendo
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 4, 5 & 6
Der Langrisser
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Secret of Mana 2)
Secret of Evermore
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Bahumat Lagoon
Earthbound
Ogre Battle
Romancing Saga 3
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Breath of Fire 1 & 2
Lufia 1 & 2
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (the best Zelda game)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV
Front Mission
Harvest Moon
EVO
Cannon Fodder

NES
Final Fantasy 1, 2 & 3 (3 had an awesome job system)

I owned most of the games listed for sega mega drive but other than that I got all these games through emulation.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, pretty much...I play all kinds of retro titles, at least, I used to. Lately, I've been hooked on some newer titles, but only cause I haven't beaten them yet. I'm sure it'll be back to business as usual soon. Every once and a while, I go back and play a few games on my older consoles, most notably:

SNES
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III (or the Anthology VI...but I like III better. It never freezes...)
Final Fantasy II (more likely the Chronicles IV...II is the 'easy' version)
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Megaman X, X-2, X-3
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
Secret of Mana
Super Mario Kart
Earthworm Jim 2

In order to play the Sonic the Hedgehog games I want to play off Genesis, I had to pick up the Sonic the Hedgehog collection. Even though the game lets you cheat through game saves, it's still the same classic platform action that is...well, awesome.

I don't own any of the other old consoles...but I do also own a lot of old computer games. I've been known to throw down with some games of X-COM: Enemy Unknown / UFO Defense or Civilization II from time to time. Still as fun as the day that I bought them.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The old games are great, i really loved playing them. It is too bad i can not play them at the moment because both of my old consoles seem to be broken. The old Mario and Sonic games got a lot of hours from my spare time. :mrgreen:
Abyssinian

Abyss Mercenary Union

56886 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't do a lot retro gaming, but recently (in the last 2 years) i started buying the old final fantasy's that have been re released for the PS, which go from one to six except three, if that counts. The only games i had to download an emulator on my pc to play was Final Fantasy Legends (can't remember which number.... think it was 2 though)... and well yea. Over and out.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thoroughly enjoy playing older games often as they seem to have more fun value that the more recent games that emphasize in depth story over simplistic fun. Some of the older games I play regularly are:

Legend of Zelda, the original NES classic with the 8 triforce peices and such. that game is always incredib;y fun and a huge challenge. I love that even when you beat the game it resets and the worlds completely different. That add more fun to the game in my opinion, and the game get a lot harder too.

Shining Force, the mother of all Strategy RPGs. It has lovable characters and a fun story that you don't have to think too in depth over. I could do that Laser Eye battle hundreds of times and not tire of it, and honestly I have had to have done that battle literally 200+ times in my life between all the times I've played through that game on both the Genesis, the emulator, doing the solos on emulator and on the remake on the GBA. That game is always a bag of fun.

Krusty's Super Fun House. This game wasn't the most popular but it has more fun in it that so many other games. You navigate Krusty the Clown from The Simpsons through a maze like funhouse trapping rats. Its very addicting and since its so basic the storyline needs nothing more than "Oh no, more rats in my funhouse, KILL!" It was made for SNES and NES, the NES version was very glitchy though.

Battletoads for NES is one retrogame that I enjoy playing time and time again. Nothing gets my kicks more than ising a stick to whale on enemies in battletoads. not to mention those vertical drop levels where you smash the crap out of those crows. Man, good fun.

Battletoads vs. Double Dragon on the SNES is a combination of exactly what the title syas. Since Battle Toads and Double Dragon were essentially the same style game they combined them to make this fun game. My best friend and I would play this game over and over, and we still do on occasion. He has it for his SNES and we'd kill everything on screen. It came to the point we knew every move the enemy'd make and we can beat the game withuut getting hit much. like 2-3 times per game.

Classis Concentration. This wasn't even for NES or SNES. It was for the old Commodore. It was a gameshow back in the 80s and it was created as a game for the Commodore. I have it and it employs the most basic of graphics and what you had to do was match cards with prizes on the underside, if you matched them you won the prize. Undernath the set of like 24 or so cards was a picture rebus. And the first person to get the rebus wins the prizes they collected that round. I play that with my brother sometimes, even thosgh the puzzles are wicked out of date (Debra Winger was a big star when that was made and she is the anwer to one of the puzzles that shows how old it is!)

ToeJam and Earl, dude. Genesis whas so cool for having ToeJam and Earl I always though Earl was supposed to represent Earwax. He's a big yellowish goober like deal. Anyhow this game is an emulated classic for me because the game was wicked fun. Bebopping along bottling up earthlings, doesn't get cooler than that.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. The one where its mostly Sidescrolling and pizza represented health. Not the weird arcade one. I loved that game a lot. My favorite levels were the Dam level where you swam and defused bombs, Michaelangelo was the best swmmer. The level where you ran across rooftops and had to fight Mechaturtle. And the level where you had to avoid the spotlights all over and fight Mouser Mother. A funb game all in all. I can get through it withut losing a single turtle.

Star Ocean 1 for SNES was an absolutely marvelous game than never made it stateide officially. I got it for emulation and its fan translated. However its still a quality game. One of my favourite characters was Ronixis Kenni, Claude from Star Ocean 2's Father. Also I really liked Tinek and Milly, Anyhow this game plays out quite similar to Star Ocean 2 that you are on a planet that doesn't know anything about the Federation and is protected by that Act that the world of Star Ocean 2 is. Anyhow, its a great game and I love playing it.

There's probably a good 10-15 more games I love playing but I'll get into those another time.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I think me, Goldmember and Himuro are the odd ones out....Not that that's a bad thing; Genesis was one of the best consoles. None of you guys knew what you were missing...Perhaps that's a good thing. ;) They've covered some of the best games of that platform, but allow me to say Sonic was one of the best adventure games out there, just because it was so simple. You didn't have to hunt anything down; you didn't have to play the same levels multiple times unless you wanted to. The whole point was just get through the level as fast and as skillfully as you could manage. And it got even better when you had multiple ways of going about it (tales; knuckles). It's such a pity the series really didn't translate well to the PS/N64/Saturn era and beyond. Once it went to Sonic Adventure it became much more of a mario clone and kind of lost it's way (though the chaos are bloody cute).

Sonic 3D blast was pretty awful, though. The badness really started there. But Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic CD are great. :D

I'd also like to put in my respect towards the game gear, which, until the GBA came along, was probably the best handheld on the market. (OK, the Gameboy sold more. But the gameboy didn't have sonic, or ecco, or virtua fighter (ok, a laughably bad virtua fighter compared to any other version, but still - did the game boy even have any fighters?) or streets of rage or or...well, you get my point. Plus it lacked a friggin' BACK LIGHT so you could play in the dark. And needless to say the graphics were awful nice in color....Yes, it consumed batteries like woah (but you could buy an adapter, and that worked wonderful. I still have mine. IT STLIL WORKS. :o) but it was such a good portable system...Many happy days were spent with my best friend in second/third grade, playing Sonic 2, trying to advance beyond the mine stage in the 15 minutes of recess we had. :D

I never played any of the console versions of Mario until 64, but I do have to say I used to love to play the arcade version (was there more than one? I only remember one) at the local pizza place. :D I sucked at it and never got very far, but it was fun as heck.

Quote:
Classis Concentration. This wasn't even for NES or SNES. It was for the old Commodore. It was a gameshow back in the 80s and it was created as a game for the Commodore. I have it and it employs the most basic of graphics and what you had to do was match cards with prizes on the underside, if you matched them you won the prize. Undernath the set of like 24 or so cards was a picture rebus. And the first person to get the rebus wins the prizes they collected that round. I play that with my brother sometimes, even thosgh the puzzles are wicked out of date (Debra Winger was a big star when that was made and she is the anwer to one of the puzzles that shows how old it is!)

I never had a Commodore 64, but I do remember playing this game, well into the ninties. (I think it was on the computer...? A DOS game? Perhaps I was playing it on a Commodore 64. It was at school...) and remember the game show, as well. That game was hard (well, when you're 6; perhaps they're easier now)! Decoding those images sometimes took a while (took me forever to figure out the dough one). Fun game though. :D

Does anyone else remember what is quite possibly the best edutainment game, ever, Carmen Sandiego? :D I loved that game to bits when I was younger. It inspired a lifelong love of gepgraphy. ^_^ I was really good at it, too; I even caught Carmen. :D (And promptly was forced to retire. :/ My detective dreams died before they began!) And thanks to it, I can always remember who was the writer of Silent Spring (it was an answer to one of the level up questions), which has surprisingly gotten me points on several science exams. :D

But to be honest; I prefer newer titles, too. The old games really can't match them in complexity, though they are a lot of fun in the "pick up and play" sense, something a lot of games have left by the wayside.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: