Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Useless Orbs...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Regrs

15501 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...am I the only one who liked the Great Firefly Rune? I liked getting more encounters if I was short on money (sorry, hated trading this game) or levels. And after certain levels, using the Spark unite, you can kill any and all enemies in one hit. It becomes a quick and easy battle, and you can get a lot of money and treasure easily, especially with support.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I found the Great Firefly Rune useful for making Potch as well as in Waterfall Basin when I was hunting for Prosperity Pieces before I had the Hunter Rune. After all, a 1% chance of getting a piece from battling Ogre Frogs means you need all the fights you can get.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Acheron wrote:

I have to disagree with Parallex about the Equilibrium Rune though. I think it's crucial.

Mm. I believe I spoke in haste earlier; I completely forgot about the unite attacks that unbalance a character. I very seldom use unites except at the start of the game, and at that time I didn't have an Equilibrium Rune in any case. I suppose maybe in New Game+...but that's another matter. To stop units from becoming imbalanced due to unites, I imagine that Equilibrium is an excellent Rune to have. My main experience was with enemies, who very rarely inflicted the unbalanced effect, and when they did, rarely on more than one character at a time. I found Suikoden V to be almost tragically easy, so it didn't seem to affect me much.

Quote:
="John Layfield"]Yeah, I found the Great Firefly Rune useful for making Potch as well as in Waterfall Basin when I was hunting for Prosperity Pieces before I had the Hunter Rune.

I thought Great Firefly was useful as well. I used it at Lunas at one point in the game, I forget where, when the rare encounter is the Fire Dragon. Using the Treasure Hunt skill, I was able to collect at least 12-13 pieces of Fire Dragon Armor, which made my characters very resilient until near the end of the game when better armor became available. I used the same concept to acquire a vast reservoir of Flame Array Chain from the blue dragons that start appearing at certain places on the world map as rare encounters as well.

On the whole, however, the loading times (which I didn't think were that bad, but were definitely present) sort of reduced the appeal of Great Firefly for me. Although it was wonderful to be able to more quickly accumulate good items and extra Potch, the pain of waiting for each battle to load, end, and load, was pretty annoying pretty fast. Later in the game, I switched gears completely and often used the Champion's Rune instead to avoid random encounters altogether. Of course, after so much Great Firefly-ing, my characters were already overlevelled anyway, and I could use the Fishing Minigame to build up Potch quickly.

As for the Condemnation Rune, I can see the point of others, it certainly has its place, especially considering the abundance of gear available to increase Dark rank. However, I found other Runes like Rage to be more versatile, since more people could reach high ranks in Fire without using frankly pretty bad equipment than could in Darkness. One of the notable exceptions, Zerase, already has the Star Rune, which outclasses Condemnation pretty much completely, as far as I'm concerned. I recall that I found Rage, Cyclone, Mother Earth and Thunder to be more versatile in Suikoden IV than the Rune of Punishment, as well. Punishment had its place, and I cast its Level 4 spell even during the final battle with the Giant Tree, as I recall, but it was overshadowed by other Runes that could do more without injuring the bearer.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well i always thought the wall rune was useless, whats the piont if you can't even use magic or attack( possibally the most useless rune in suikoden.) the crazed orb doesn't seem too fair, sleep orb i haven't used allthough i use it in tactics, knight orb hasn't worked for me yet,boost orb is unfair ( but i never used it) .
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wall rune + firefly rune = one character taking all the attacks = useful.

The crazed orb is useful for a physical character with crappy MAG.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lunarblade wrote:
Wall rune + firefly rune = one character taking all the attacks = useful.

Adding a Strike-Back Rune to that setup would actually help nullify the "can not attack" downside of the Wall Rune. Of course, the only tanks that can use this setup are Lelei, Mathias and Nakula though.

Hunter Orbs are super useful when you have Ernst in your party. Just have him turn into human and use the Beast Rune's level 2 spell, and you can hit the enemies without a problem. :)

The Sealing (Fire and Water) Orbs were crap. I had no use for it but to sell it. I used the Steel Orb during my first playthrough, but during my second, I was able to manage my characters better, so I didn't bother with it anymore. I just sold it. 15000 potch is a pretty good amount of money. The Boundary Orb, I never used. It just doesn't appeal to me, and there's more physical than magical enemies in the game anyway.

Status-inducing orbs like Poison, Venom, Silence and Sleep were really pretty useless, because their success rate is like.. what? 30%? Maybe if it were higher it would actually be in consideration for use. The Wind Orb was pretty useless too. In previous games, Wind of Sleep was actually reliable, but in this game, it seems like they nerfed the spell and it really does almost nothing anymore.

Rune of Condemnation was pretty weak. What the hell?
Alluminitti

124798 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got this new orb called the "Resurrection" orb. Is it any good?
marlacon

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wall + Firefly + strikeback is very useful. Just stick it on a tank and you dont' ahve to worry about physical dmg unless it's AoE. Also boundry orbs can be useful on certain characters if you use the afformentioned combo.

Last edited by marlacon on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alluminitti wrote:
I got this new orb called the "Resurrection" orb. Is it any good?

Yes. Sort of... If you're dealing with the undead, it's very effective, but it's more of a secondary rune under normal circumstances. Yell is very good though, because it revives fallen comrades in battle. It's only a second spell so you will have lots of charges of it, so it can be very helpful for your survival.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*Spoiler*
In my final battle against the Sun Rune Incarnation, i have a party member of the Hero, Lyon, Belcoot, Zerase, Levi and Eresh...
guess what, all of them are dead, except for Lyon and Eresh...
i had Lyon to attack using physical attacks against the Sun Rune Incarnation and Eresh to revive everybody...
in return, i got everybody revived and then fight back, then win... :wink:
the Resurection Rune is very useful for me...
*end of spoiler* (i think it's too much... :oops: )

i think the useless orbs (runes) are the Venom, Poison, Strike-back and the Firefly orb... they are awfully useless... :x

Last edited by Flamo Bringer on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Firefly and Strike-back's actually a good combination, especially when equipped to someone like Goesch or Mathias, who have that Mow Down skill. Everytime they're hit, they will counter, and have a chance on hitting the other enemies in a cluster in the process. Of course, unique weapon skills like Mow Down aren't overall particularly useful anyway, because the enemies that you face in this installment seldomly come in large five or six groups. They're mostly in small (three and lesser) groups and not clustered together.

I would actually consider using the status-inducing runes (as well as spells) if they actually had a high chance of working. In all of my playthroughs, I have never seen the Wind Rune's Wind of Sleep actually working. I have seen the Star Rune's Starry Stillness and the DoReMi Rune's Serenade work, but their spell descriptions still show that the chances of inflicting sleep is still pretty low (20%).

Speaking of the DoReMi Rune... that one's pretty useless too. The last spell, Concerto, is actually pretty promising (1500+ damage), but it's not worth filling in the rest of the party slots with DoReMi elves just to cause that amount of damage.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The trick for the Hunter Rune is to equip it on the fastest character in your party and then use the formation skill that stuns the enemy and has all your characters attack (Circle?). Guaranteed hit.

The most useless runes are Venom and Water Sealing, except on Richard, then you can watch as he slowly kills himself with you unable to use healing spells on him!

As for the whole orbs/runes thing, they're just called orbs before they are attached to a person, once equipped they're referred to as runes.
Ashley Riot

The Queensguard

20000 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Definitely the status effect orbs (Poison, Venom, Silence, etc.). The game's easy enough that I'd rather just kill the enemy outright with a single blow, and bosses tend to shrug them off anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

"I've been shown a lifetime of oddities in a day." -- Ashley Riot
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Useless runes Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In other games I often considered the Magic Drain rune to be useless, but when I pair it with a water rune or a shield rune, I find that I have a Nearly Endless Font O' Healing! 1: Heal the party. 2: Whack a monster, get a point back. 3: Heal the party. Repeat if neccessary. It even works on fourth level spells if nothing else was used up.

Point of order: a rune is an Orb until it is attached to a person. Then it's a Rune. By the way, I love this site! Looking forward to many happy months posting here.

As for the Hunter Rune... I haven' t messed with it yet, because I haven't needed to, but I will eventually.

I think the Great Firefly Rune would be useful if you were hunting for something that needs to be found in a random monster encounter, like DoReMi elves, food items, or antiques.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
redpanda

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Many of the runes may seem useless. Maybe it's not apparent, but could require some creativity to make some use out of it. Probably need to do some mixing and matching. Like the Fire Sealing Rune. I usually give it people who actually need it like Georg or Logg. Useful against enemies that like to spam fire spells like the Target Lady. A Water Amulet may become useful in tandem.

I think the only rune with very little value is the Venom Rune like someone else stated. If you are going to equip it, I guess the Turtle Rune would have to pair up with the Venom Rune to cancel the poison-recoil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: