Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kriegspiel Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Character Tournament
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col Ahiru

Demon Duckizzards of Doom

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:38 am    Post subject: Character Tournament Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was looking through GameFAQs' third annual character tournament earlier today, and I got to thinking how great that could be if there was a tournament of that nature for Suikoden. There could be anywhere from 32-256 (Or even 512 if you include Suikoden IV's cast) characters vying for people's votes, and it'd be a fun way to seeing who would win the elaborate popularity contest. By having two polls a day or something, the tourney would probably be a couple of months.

What do other people think of the idea? I'd love to help out in any way that I could (Constructing the brackets and such), and I think it'd be loads of fun. :)
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You don't happen to be a Pesmerga fan, do you?

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lol bugg.

Please don't start a favourite character tournament poll here. If you want to host a poll on a site yourself and post the link here, that would be fine.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Considering this is in Site Discusion, he's most likely wondering if SARSadmin would host a character tournament on the main page.
Snowe Vingerhut

Snowe's Legion

10109 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought their was a couple of greatest Suikoden character battle threads in the Suikoden index, but got closed by Sophita on the basis of worthlessness.
*shrugs*
Col Ahiru

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lebenengel is right; I wasn't thinking of something confined to the message board that are arbitrarily run. Rather, a series of polls on the main page of suikox.com, like I said just one or two a day. If you're unsure of what I mean, the format at gamefaqs.com is basically what I was thinking. Who knows, maybe it could even be turned into a contest like that one is.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll think about it.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

god, no; spare us that kind of lengthy nonsense and the endless arguments over 'who's the best character.'

*please, sars?*

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
I'll think about it.

I always see answers like these in terms of "No, no, I'd think about it but I've already decided...NO!" It's just a more polite way of summarizing and phrasing your thoughts so the inquiring party will leave you alone. :D At least that's what I've done... maybe I'm just jerky then ^^;;;
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Though it would be somewhat more interesting then the GameFAQs Character Battle (Darn those Final Fantasy 7 Fanboys/girls, darn them all!) There are still the Pesemega fans and others so it'll be almost the same. Also, I don't think we have enough members to start thinking about large polls (300+) like that.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fot the love of the 27 true runes SARS do not taint this site I beg of you!
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that the people who frequent here have a much larger IQ value than the people who frequent at GameFAQs.
Therefore I think that the tournament might actually work. Maybe.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh. Many Suikoden fans claim to be smarter, but just as many are, in fact, not too different from their Final Fantasy VII counterparts.
Col Ahiru

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't get why so many people don't like the idea. One of the reasons I brought it up was this quote from SARS' editorial on Suikoden fansites:

Quote:
So, here is valuable advice to site owners thinking, "How could I make a site that can be half as popular as suikox.com?" The answer is-- interactive contents, dude. Suikoden fan sites are markedly devoid of interactive contents beyond a message board (which is usually ready-made). The Rebel Hideout had an interactive quiz back in 2001, and to this day suikox.com is the only other site in English-speaking Suikoden fandom history to have an interactive quiz!

And if the poll stirs up debate over who's more powerful and such, why is that a bad thing? As long as it isn't allowed to de-volve into flaming, I don't see why it's a problem. I had just thought it'd be a fun way to see the characters other people like. And if it gets people to come to the site every day to see the results of the previous day's polls, suikox.com might get more hits. :)
TheAngelicSin

Scarlet Demon's Fangs

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

^^; Haha... I'm actually a pretty big Final Fantasy VII fan, but I don't CLAIM to be smarter than anyone. ;P I pretty much think it's best to let others judge for themselves whether or not you're smarter than x person. But I definitely wouldn't say I'm not smart - I try to be logical and come up with, at least the majority of the time, well-thought out responses and reasons.

Although I'd have to disagree with the opinion of being a fan of something would make you less smart than a fan of something else. But I do agree that a lot of fans of certain things tend to act a little less than mature. However, I know plenty of other FF7 fans that can think logically and not make random, "S3ph1r07h r0x0rz uR b0x0rz!" Although we do sometime joke around with that type of typing/communication.

Also, sometimes you could be a fan of something and not have a good reason other than you think x person or x thing looks/seems cool. I mean there's not a whole lot of information about Yuber but I'll still admit to being a Yuber fan for the fact that I just generally liked him in the games. Sure, you don't learn a hell of a lot about him but if you think about it you never really do learn a whole lot about many of the Suikoden characters in general.

Personally my favorite character, at least at this point in time, is Gremio. Yes, I have reasons for liking him and at the same time I have reasons that in no way relate to the game and actually stem to the way I picture him in my mind. That and I personally think he's cute ^^;

A favorite character poll wouldn't be so bad but in the end it will turn out to be something of a "oh this character is SOOOO overrated!" kind of thing. I can see someone like Pesmerga, Viktor, Flik, etc. being voted as the top and people complaining about it and starting problems. But if it's majority - it's majority. I mean if Flik was put against Sheena or Mathiu I would vote for Flik because, personally, I liked him as a character and although he has many fans... he's not completely overrated. It's just that he's around quite a bit in the Suikoden series and he has a general history that's longer than others (if I remember correctly). So as long as no one starts b*tching about certain characters being overrated they may as well just vote for their favorite characters and hope to "extinguish the competition." It could work... but again, people would have to calm down...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Site Content Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: