Suikoden Unique and Infamous Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What do you like about the Suikoden series?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: What do you like about the Suikoden series? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just want to ask this very general question as a basis for making a poll later on. Tell me the aspects of the Suikoden seires you like!

For me personally, it is the fact that the battles are between people at a regional level. You don't get the "save the world from non-human demonic powerful beings!" plot, which is overused.
adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I also think that the fact that you're not trying to save the world from some ultimate evil or otherworldly force is a nice change of pace from most RPGs, but there are a lot of things that make Suikoden enjoyable for me.

I find that the recruitment of characters and the growth of the HQ gives you a good sense of satisfaction and accomplishment as you progress through the game. There's always a visible marker of all of your accomplishments in the game.

Furthermore, the fact that Suikoden has so many characters means that you get to see many unusual character types that normally wouldn't be found in other games with a small number of key characters who are generally more or less stereotypical. Most of these characters can also be used in battle so you can ultimately relate better to the people who are fighting for you.

Finally, Suikoden has a lot of little quirks like the weapon system. Instead of having to buy new weapons periodically your characters keep the same weapons which change in name and power (as well as appearance in Suikoden IV, supposedly) as you sharpen them. Little things like that make Suikoden unique and refreshing.

Overall, I like Suikoden for the things that makes it uniquely Suikoden, and nothing else. There are plenty of other fine games out there, but only one Suikoden (well, three, but you know...).
Cirape

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Suikoden because it rocks *nods*
Eh-heh. Actaully I'm gonna have to go with the "not saving world from Big Evil Thingy(tm)" bit as well. Its nice to see things on a smaller level, and I love the politics of it all that get worked in.
Another thing that I like quite a bit about the Suikoden games is that the world and its history is so fleshed out. There's so much that's been worked on for Suikoden, and while not all of it has made it into the games (yet?), we can still research it and find it out.
Or, ah, have people who can read Japanese do it for us ^^;
But I like how it's created it's own universe, working up a history and everything that isn't needed just in the one or four games so far. They could have left it at what was in the games and went from there, but we get so many more nifties about the world ^^
Maximillian

Dead Soggy Old Dudes

137813 Potch
13000 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Where to begin!

The characters in Suikoden are so different from those in other RPGs, they're still rather stereotypical but it's a whole different kind of stereotype.

The world is so immense and deep, there is so much history in the Suikoden world. In most other games it is like the world didn't exist before you started playing, but in Suikoden everything has much history behind it that it is much more interesting. It's like it has it's own mythology.

The minigames and sidequests are infinitely better than those in other games. I mean, Iron chef. IRON CHEF!

But most of all I think the mainstay of the Suikoden series has been that it is more folklore than fantasy. I mean, there is still magic and elves and dragons and whathaveyou, but it seems to be done in a more mythical and folklorish way rather than fantasy-oriented. And that makes the story much more meaningfull, I think.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For the plotlines, mostly. They're a lot more localized and "deeper" than most RPG storylines which tend to be "dum de dum, just minding my business, OH MY GOD! SOME CRAZY GUY! HE JUST KILLED (X) PERSON WHO WAS NEAR AND DEAR TO ME DESPITE ONLY KNOWING EACH OTHER HALF AN HOUR! *angst, angst, angst*...DUDE! I'M GONNA KICK THAT GUYS ASS!!! OMGWE SAVED THE WORLD, YAY!" It's much more...I dunno...like something you'd read in the Illiad, not like something you'd find by any fantasy hack.

Plus you can't go wrong with a good 70-90 playable characters to choose from. :mrgreen:

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ayoloco

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like Suikoden because of the tragedic story and political issue in the game. Also the plotlines of the story. Like SARSAdmin said that it eliminate the non-human demonic powerful beings and also the eliminate of end of the world story like. In the political series I am something that I relate this to some corrupt government and how to run the government. For its unique game of recruiting 108 people in the story I say this is interesting.
Lucied

1846 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the story. Plain and simple. They paint a story, in such a way that even the villains have a story. And sometimes you even feel bad that you have to kill them. Not all the story is within the game, though. You have to reach beyond to get it all.
But, with Barbarossa, for example, after hearing his story, I felt bad for the guy. He truly loved Windy, and was willing to fall to his death just to be with her. It's like, he wasn't corrupted, he was just in love, and willing to do her bidding. Or just playing along, and acting like he was under her control, so she'd like him.
And Luca... I feel bad for him because of what he went through. I almost reason his trauma as the grounds for his revenge. No, it doesn't justify what he did. But it gives him reason.

The thing is, the bad guys have reasons. They have stories. When was the last time you played an RPG, and had a villain with an actual back story beyond wanting to conquer the world/universe with his powerful spells/army? You never get a reason beyond greed and a lust for power and/or destruction.
Suikoden is different. You care about the villain almost as much as you care for your hero. And that does a lot in engulfing you within the game world.
Pac

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are 3 main reasons I love this series:

1. The 108 Stars of Destiny are such a unique aspect of the games. I love games that involve collecting things, and having 108 collectables is amazing. Plus, each Star is an individual that is unique to his or her self.

2. The villains are fantastic. Starting with Suikoden 2 and leading into 3 we've seen some memorable villains. Luca is a raving madman, and the party of villains in 3 are so charismatic and believable (for a game).

3. The music is the best out of any RPG's I've played. Well, 1 and 2 are great, anyway. :p
Iakopa

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What first got my attention was the price for it ( only $10.00 at sears :shock: ) but I when I played it I was hooked on everything, Graphics,story,music just almost everything. It was something different yet something new to me and the ability to go into war was also a plus. :)
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From the moment i first saw my grandpop turn the game on i was memorized by the music. so i played it and guess what the game was AWESOME!

Anyway the change of pace where your not "saving the world" (wasent expecting that in s3. Boy did the story really take a 180) And i really liked how you stuck with the one weapon and there WAS SIX charectors in your party AT THE SAME TIME. Plus the unites, the fact that two peeps can attack at once. everything about it i loved. You gotta realize that before suiko1 back in 96 the only games i ever played was Squaresoft rpg's and lufia that was baout it. till this very day i always get the enchanting feeling when i boot up Suikoden 1.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Galt

De Ruyter

1723195 Potch
0 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The story, the characters (heroes, villains and returning) and the fact that each games are in the same world unlike other series like Final Fantasy.
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me the highlight of the suikoden series is the feeling that you're taking part in a real historical event. The three games contain a lot of history compared to other games and I just love finding out as much as I can about the characters and the suikoden world.
The game is so much more realistic then other rpg's aswell, I mean it is so improbable that you will be minding your own business one day, and saving the world the next ala final fantasy, but becoming involved in a suikoden storyline always seems believeable.
Recruiting the 108 stars gives me such a feeling of acomplishment like I've done this, I'm fighting this war, I will lead these people to victory.
I think that it is the best series ever!
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i like the fact that the creators aren't afraid to take some risks and step outside the usual, even if it means creating something that the fans don't like...*cough...sIII...*

i've never been fully dissapointed by suikoden, whereas many others have left me bored after one playthrough, and a few didn't even keep me interested long enough to get anywhere near halfway *cough...xenosaga...*

i'm hoping that sIV will show us that even with the permanent loss of muryama, that the new team can continue his vision and provide us with another game, although they'll never truly top sII, dated graphics aside.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A lot of my ideas would just be echoing what has already been said. The originality, collectability factor, the depth of story and characters, the realism factor.

One of the thing that stands out for me most, however is the world, politics and strategies (although unfortunately I found that aspect in Suikoden III to be lacking, with the Budehuc castle sections which were meant to be fun having the most strategic interest and depth). The interaction between all the various factions in the games and the choices of leaders and way problems were overcome is what made the game so great... Having to convince Shu to join the army was great. Having to covertly pretend to be students at the Greenhill Academy was great. Having to break Liukan out of Sonierre was great. Having to stop the Zexen council from closing down trade at Budehuc castle was great. These are the things that stand out to me and set Suikoden apart. The quests aren't about going to kill evil monsters that terrorise villagers using a specially made sword (Neclord in Suikoden 1 had elements of that, although there was still political motivation behind that), the quests all revolve around a single coherant plot that seems to come together a lot more than most other games do. That to me is what makes the Suikoden series so great (amongst other things, of course!).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leena fighter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The emotion. Scenes are never overdone, yet it's still dramatic. Then again, I'm a blubbery pile of goo when it comes to sad things in movies or books or games (of course not real life,) so yes, I'll almost cry when bad things happen to characters at the end of the games. Specifically 3. Despite what everyone else says about that game, the ending was horrifically depressing.

That and the characters. They don't make a point to do any over exaggerated, condensed backstory to every character ("MY PARENTS DIED AND I MUST AVENGE THEM!" "OMG MINE TOO!!" too much time spent on orig. char. creation threads,) some are just simple and join you because they enjoy fighting. The ones that are developed are extremely likeable, as they have to be for everyone to jump up and down repeatedly at the mention of one returning for 4 (cough). Or maybe that was just me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: