Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Has Suikoden V made you less of a fan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uhm...kinda?

I absolutely hated this game. It was to me as Suikoden IV is to most of the fandom (ie, the worst in the series [I've already explained why in the impressions thread, I'm not going to get into it here, too]). I'll likely buy VI when it comes out, but if it's not any better than V (or, god help me, exactly like V), I'll likely drop the series because I don't have all kinds of money to be spending on games I don't get any enjoyment out of.

My own personal hope, though, is that VI is going to be like III. It'd make sense, since IV is like I, and V is like II. If that's the pattern they're going for, then I'll just buy the odd numbered ones and skip the evens. :D

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sawyer

Magi Force - Alpha Company-

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Suikoden V has made me more of a fan. I really enjoyed Suikoden 1 because it was different and any other rpg i have ever played. I've never play suikoden 2. Suikoden 3 had a wonderful cast of characters but it was never untraditional then the first two games. I didnt really enjoy 4 but i liked it. I'm on my third run thought suikoden V. I love the characters and i love long games. :D
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didn't think anyone could actually feel this way...my god. Suikoden V, in my opinion, was by FAR the best game in the series since Suikoden II, and even gives that game a run for its money. The battle system is much improved, the war system is back to what it should be, and the main character was actually likable (despite his muteness and metrosexual appearance, both of which are getting a bit old). The story had some great twists and turns, and all the characters were likable.

As for the Suikoden formula, that is what makes Suikoden...Suikoden. Same world, some repeating characters, same runes/spells, 108 stars, true runes, all of that stuff. Without those things Suikoden has nothing to differentiate itself from all the other cookie cutter RPGs out there. I thought Suikoden V did everything perfectly by keeping all the important traditions intact while changing some slightly (the battle system in particular).

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
EggMan

Ordo Lusus

167874 Potch
250 Soldiers
180 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I Loved Suikoden V, even though I've played every single game it ranks up near the top. Lunarblade describes it perfectly, the battle system is better and the war system is actaully good, the characters were well developed like in SI and SII yet it still is able to keep a main story and keep you interested the whole way through. I'm glad Suikoden is the way it is, otherwise it would be like Final Fantasy, and I dont know about you, but I like having a continuing story of the same world. No world is as undiverse as some of the worlds in the FF series, the Suikoden World is filled with different people and different cultures that were all influenced by our past - I think thats great. So This Suikoden has reaffirmed my love for this series and makes me want to continue to but all things suikoden. :*laugh*:

"I think we are blind. Blind people who can see, but do not see."
hotspot

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would never hate suikoden even if it turned out like sentinel returns( i hate that game to shreds, total boring meter)
I love suikoden 5 in fact i think it could be one of the best suikodens.
ravasa

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um, I think I am one of the few minorities here. After playing V, I feel less of a fan. Not that I dislike it though, I like it but something just not right in my personal taste. Seems like I 'm in minority opinion since IV anyway coz when suikodenfan say how they hate IV , I really love it. I don't deny that it has many flaws and end so suddenly but still it 's my favourite suikoden game. It made me pick up III to play again after unsuccessfully playing it because of boredom. And after I finished III, I felt attached to it too. But for V,I don't know, I felt like I wanted it to come to an end about half way of the story. I felt tired. Although I was really impressed by some scenes enough to made me cry for them like Ferid dying scene or even the ending, I didn't feel like wanting to continue the storyline any further.......

For recruitments, I knew in IV,it 's too easy to recruit 108 stars but in V, I think it 's too hard. In IV, Lazlo is just an ordinary knight but he made me feel like he is a leader, friends want to join him. But in V, the main hero is a royal prince but seems like noone really wish to join him untill he fullfil some requirements which is so boring. After getting some stars , I felt like they 're not really my friend, they just came because I did something for them so they did something for me in return. It 's reasonable but it still leave some kind of hollow impressions in me anyway. And if cutting off all these conditions of recruitments, the story isn't that long for me. So I have to say the story 's more complicated,yes, I like it ,yes, but I just don't love it. On the contrary I love III and IV to death. I also see many people says V is like II so maybe II is not my taste too, I don't know. Maybe what you like depends on which one you play first and I play IV first so my opinion tends toward IV more.
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

well, i kinda have the same opinion with ravasa here, after i finished playing the game....
it's like, just recruit by doing something and then war, war, and war...
at least have something for the Prince to do first such as rest first and then another scene or something...
but i still love it though.... :|
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played 5 and felt a definate improvement over 4, you could tell the developers put alot more time in. Characters no longer joined for no reason at all, and at times most of them had a backstory or a little qwerk which made them special or interesting. Although in some parts Falena seems a bit dull and incomplete (Doraat, Hershville Naval Base - all examples of Suikoden 4 blandness).
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ravasa wrote:
Um, I think I am one of the few minorities here. After playing V, I feel less of a fan. Not that I dislike it though, I like it but something just not right in my personal taste. Seems like I 'm in minority opinion since IV anyway coz when suikodenfan say how they hate IV , I really love it. I don't deny that it has many flaws and end so suddenly but still it 's my favourite suikoden game. It made me pick up III to play again after unsuccessfully playing it because of boredom. And after I finished III, I felt attached to it too. But for V,I don't know, I felt like I wanted it to come to an end about half way of the story. I felt tired. Although I was really impressed by some scenes enough to made me cry for them like Ferid dying scene or even the ending, I didn't feel like wanting to continue the storyline any further.......

For recruitments, I knew in IV,it 's too easy to recruit 108 stars but in V, I think it 's too hard. In IV, Lazlo is just an ordinary knight but he made me feel like he is a leader, friends want to join him. But in V, the main hero is a royal prince but seems like noone really wish to join him untill he fullfil some requirements which is so boring. After getting some stars , I felt like they 're not really my friend, they just came because I did something for them so they did something for me in return. It 's reasonable but it still leave some kind of hollow impressions in me anyway. And if cutting off all these conditions of recruitments, the story isn't that long for me. So I have to say the story 's more complicated,yes, I like it ,yes, but I just don't love it. On the contrary I love III and IV to death. I also see many people says V is like II so maybe II is not my taste too, I don't know. Maybe what you like depends on which one you play first and I play IV first so my opinion tends toward IV more.

Are you kidding? Try beating the game without recruiting any characters more than you have to. It will still take at least 30 hours. I know people who got the under 60 SoDs ending, and it still took them over 50 hours.

Anyways, I do think that the game you played first affects your judgement. If you played IV first, you just have this sort of natural bias towards it that's hard to explain. I think this is the reason II is so popular (either many people's first, or it's so similar to I but better). I was my first, and V is my favorite because I it has a lot of elements from I, II, and III (III is my second favorite, and was my favorite until V came out).

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

poorguy171 wrote:
Are you kidding? Try beating the game without recruiting any characters more than you have to. It will still take at least 30 hours. I know people who got the under 60 SoDs ending, and it still took them over 50 hours.

Eh. Then they're slow. I only recruited a few extra people (I didn't even bother getting Jeane [because, as I said before -- extremely underwhelmed with the game. I didn't care enough to do the recruiting], so when I say "a few" I mean pretty much the ones where all you have to do is go "HAY JOIN MY GRUPE OK?" and they go "OK") and finished the game at 30-ish hours. If I didn't bother getting anyone it definitely would have been under thirty.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dakota

Protectors of the Deeper Well

1300636 Potch
69 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V gave me new faith in the series. IV really killed the series for me, I beat it like 2 weeks before I got V just in case I needed the memory for a neat bonus or something. Otherwise I wouldnt have wasted my time on it. Unfortunately it didnt need my Iv data and I realized I wasted my time >.<

I felt like V actually was just as if not better than II. I really enjoyed the story and the incredible characters. Made it a wonderful experience, hopefully VI will utterly blow me away!!
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Probably more of a fan considering that I found IV nearly intolerable. I will say this, though. The first six to eight hours of the game were very difficult to get into, especially since the whole Stormfist adventure took at least ninety or so minutes to accomplish. However, things really pick up speed after the Prince escapes Sol Falena and the events that followed helped make this my second favorite game in the series.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V raised my fandom level from "moderately rabid" to "dude, scale it back a little". So no, I'm good.
Hyuga

Wanderer

2519 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Um...no

Suikoden V was responsible for my Suikoden addiction. It was my second Suikoden game after Suikoden II which I never finished before(mainly because I was very young back then and I could not understand the story). It was Suikoden V which got me into Suikoden and make me love the series.
Darkbeat

Location: The school of making funny locations for my forum profile
102756 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V reaffirmed my interest in the series, which somewhat lagged after the experiences of IV and Tactics (which weren't necessarily bad on their own merit, just not what they could/should have been).

It was truely a magnificent game, and reminded me exactly why the Suikoden series captivated me in the first place. Sure it may have appealed more to the classic Suikoden fan instead of a new commer, but in my opinion thats just what the doctor ordered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: