Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Has Suikoden V made you less of a fan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obligo

Ancient Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So far, from what I've played of Suikoden V, I'd have to say I'm immensly disappointed in the graphics quality of it, the intro music is "BLAH" and the camera control is totally worthless. Zoom in and out? Wooptie. Suikoden IV had greater graphics quality, the movement through the world was COMPLETELY different and IMHO comfortable. Plus, Suiko IV's intro music ROCKED the house.

As to the story: Since I haven't played it all the way through yet, I can only comment on what I've played to date. Story's pretty good, as are all the storylines from previous Suikoden games. Also, it's really the first Suikoden where the Hero is actually of royal blood. (Unless you count Hero 4 as being Lino's son, and heir to the throne of Obel. But that's debateable. Clan chief sons don't count as royalty![Suiko 3 reference of Hugo.])

As to the question at hand: Less of a fan? No. Just disappointed that the graphics quality wasn't up to snuff for a machine capable of producing better quality graphics. They also need to fire the current composer, but hey. Besides the intro theme, so far the rest of the soundtrack hasn't totally blown. Any Suikoden game produced is a blessing. I've also discovered that sometimes this series doesn't make it to PAL countries, and I grieve for those that miss out on this series.

That's all I have to say about that.

Now I'm going back to my game!
Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When this thread was created, I would have probably given a reluctant "yes" based purely on the camera, user interface and non-difficulty of the game, but upon several more playthroughs, I can truly see this game as a masterpiece. I now think the camera and interface issues don't hold a candle to the better aspects of the game... and anyways, Suikoden is not known for it's graphics or interface anyway.

The characters really grew on me, and all the subtle plot points really began to shine. I think this storyline is one of the best storylines of all the Suikodens, and it has the best character development hands down, not to mention the improved war battles and duels.

One complaint that many people had was the whole Sialeeds thing, but if you re-play the game and pay attention to all her lines, her reasons behind her actions become quite clear. Sialeeds really makes the game for me-- she's one of my favorite characters.

6724 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote="poorguy171"]
Falcon Critical wrote:
crushedvelvet wrote:
I think the only major complaint I have was that I always felt one step ahead of the enemy when I really started to get my army going. Even in the early days when I had only a few hundred troops on my side I don't think there were many problems winning a major battle. I preferred it in 3 when you were three steps behind the antagonists right up to the finishing line and then when you won it felt like more of an acheivement.

I hear that. This is why there was all sorts of comments about Lucretia being too good... In Suikoden 1 you often came into battles you totally didn't plan for and got pwned by armored cavalry or rose attacks. In Suikoden 2 you'd come back to your base and hear "Highland has taken South Window and executed the mayor", like CV says in Suikoden 3 you're constantly behind Luc and Albert's strategies.

Then comes GS5, and even when the Godwins did manage to take some towns you never really felt it like you did in previous games. Lucretia was perhaps too confident and even though you have to even leave your own base at one point, its all part of her plan and just seems too easy.

I'd put the Godwins just behind Kooluk as the second easiest opponent army in the series... but if you look at what happened in the games event-wise, they were the only enemy to take over your base, yet I didn't feel the press of their forces like I did in the earlier games.

Agreed. However one thing I'd like to point out is I would hate it even more if in the next suikoden they listened to players and tried to "fix" this by giving you a tactician that makes too many mistakes/sucks/isn't great.

Instead they should focus on making you feel like the underdog and the opponents more intimidating and threatening and especially ominous. This should be done through changing the enemy's strengths, not by changing the tactician's.

I can't wait for Suikoden VI. I hope they continune and not make too many changes, maybe a few tweaks, but just give us more of the same and make it a fun and enjoyable experience.
Obligo

Ancient Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Firefly wrote:
When this thread was created, I would have probably given a reluctant "yes" based purely on the camera, user interface and non-difficulty of the game, but upon several more playthroughs, I can truly see this game as a masterpiece. I now think the camera and interface issues don't hold a candle to the better aspects of the game... and anyways, Suikoden is not known for it's graphics or interface anyway.

The characters really grew on me, and all the subtle plot points really began to shine. I think this storyline is one of the best storylines of all the Suikodens, and it has the best character development hands down, not to mention the improved war battles and duels.

One complaint that many people had was the whole Sialeeds thing, but if you re-play the game and pay attention to all her lines, her reasons behind her actions become quite clear. Sialeeds really makes the game for me-- she's one of my favorite characters.

Well, Sialeeds does make a great piece of eye candy :twisted: ! I also know that a book can't be judged by its cover, plus the fact that I haven't been all the way through it yet!

I'm also a big fan of the duel system in the entire series (except the first duel in Suiko 3 - the one with the kid Marvin? versus Guilluome? Of course, if an adult lost to a kid in a duel, that's one sorry adult, but hey, he WAS pathetic to begin with!) Anyway, in Suiko4, I was able to take my time to write down the opponents vocal clues for their attacks, in Suiko5 they took that advantage away from me. That's ok - make the duels a bit more challenging. I actually enjoy that revamp. The one thing I do miss is a pause feature - come on! Lemme pause between cut scenes or something! That's like the whole Clive/Elza thing in Suiko2 - no pause, beat the game in 20 hours or less to get their story, or suffer.

Guess I just have too many distractions here at home!
I just thought they could've done a better job with the graphics, maybe stayed in a 3d environment instead of going back to a 2d world map system. Guess you can't have it all if a great story needs to be told!

Now I'm going back to my game!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Suikoden V did a lot to get the cult fan base back on their side, what we're not sure of, if it did enough to warrant another installment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: