Suikoden Unique and Irrational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Who do you regard as the most tragic character in the series?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howling Voice

Destroyer of Life

9195 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cue FF7 quote - "The public feel better if someone is punished" XD;

Arias

73841 Potch
40 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Howling Voice wrote:
Cue FF7 quote - "The public feel better if someone is punished" XD;

The fact Cray/Elenor ended up being used as scapegoats for the Border Attacks was also a key factor on why SME and Kooluk didn't resume overt hostilities after the fact. The hard-line Nobles had no choice but to abandon their push for war because the Conservative Nobles knew about the situation and had properly concealed it. Elenor and Cray were victims of circumnstances and SME's politics. That's why Cray's and Elenor's entwined history is so tragic. In the end, Elenor decided to personally face Cray, and die alongside him. Both lives destroyed by the fickle designs of a twisted Rune.
Metallingus

Grandchildren of the Runes

30829 Potch
49 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Peck, for reasons already stated. The Falenan Royal Family's tale is tragic too, especially considering that things came to be because of Salum Barows. I mean, they could've done better than be one-upped by Salum. Blech.

While it may not seem the case, Georg's story is tragic too.
blight2345432

Magicians of Gregminster

6795 Potch
66 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i have a few that could easily qualify first off is Ted he gets stuck with the souleater after everyone he knows and loves dies and then he gets possessed by the same woman who killed his entire family and in the end he sacrifices himself so that you can use the rune's true power to protect everyone from windy.

then there is Viktor whose entire city is killed by neclord when he is away and when he returns he sees all of his loved ones being mindless servants to the rune mutant. also whatever happened between him and daisy, who ever she was.

then there is ragki or i think thats her name it could have been her sons. she traveled the entire islands nations looking for her husband only to find his hand on a tree stump and she continued to mourn him through the entire game while seeing how much her son was like him.
Ryu

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:shock: ... WTH is wrong with you people. I can't believe not one of you mentioned Odessa. I mean come on. Not only did she die protecting an innocent child, she left behind so much unfinished bussiness you as the main character had to take over for her. Not to mention no one could know she was actually dead or the rebelion would fail. I was in tears when she died even thought we only knew her for a short time.

I think odessa should at least get an honorable mention! so my pick is Odessa Silverberg, may she rest in peace in that dingy sewer that Flik left her in. :cry:

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Odessa was quite a sad story, I think I'll stick with my suggestion of Aldo though. :P
Lilith

9390 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I go with Luc, because I canĀ“t imagine just being created to be a vessel for a true rune, and then have to see those horrible visions..
Well, at least his death seemed to be quite peaceful.

516 Potch
12 Soldiers
16992 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if this sounds cliche, but I have to go with Sasarai. Everybody says that Luc is, and I'm not inclined to disagree. But Sasarai, like Luc, was created only as a vessel for a True Rune. He was groomed to be a bishop from a very young age -- never allowed to pursue his own fate in any way.

In the Suikoden III manga (I don't know if it came up on Luc's playthrough -- I haven't managed to unlock that yet), as a small child he encountered Luc in the temple dungeon and tried to ask him about his magical abilities; but Sasarai was ushered away by a horrified clergyman before Luc could respond. Thus, both of them lost the opportunity to speak to the only person who could ever understand them.

Even though Luc shares a lot of these tragic circumstances (and has several more of his own), Luc is able to shift the blame to others and shroud himself in self-pity.
Sasarai experiences "angst" after learning the hollow purpose of his creation, yet he doesn't lash out. He carries his burden alone and still helps save the world -- even though he has just as much of a reason to resent it as Luc does.

Sasarai also carries the burden of the knowledge that the only way in which he ever helped ease his brother's pain was to take his life. I can't prove how hard he has taken this -- there's no direct evidence -- but that sounds like a very ugly fate to me. Luc lived in a cloud of self-pity; Sasarai now lives in a cloud of guilt. Which do you think is worse?

And I don't know if any of this fits the technical defenition of "tragic." Sorry.

Georg Prime may meet this definition a little better.

It seems to me that he started off fighting very early in life. He's a good five or six years younger than Ferid (29 in SV), and if Ferid was 18-20 or so when Freyador was born (Ferid is 34-36 and Frey is 16, or about that, right?). That would make Ferid about 16-18 when he traveled (Bernadette said her eldest brother left to travel the world when he was 16, right?). Thus, Georg would be roughly 13-15 when he nearly lost his eye. I could be COMPLETELY off on the timeline. (Also, things would definitely change if Ferid decided to go off wandering after Frey was conceived -- but he doesn't strike me as the type who'd do that). Anyway, being in combat serious enough to almost lose an eye and having a life debt on your hands at that young an age has got to be tough.

Even if I'm completely wrong on my inferences (or assumptions, if you want to call them that :*laugh*: ), the fact is that a person doesn't become as seasoned and as skilled as Georg is without going through some serious stuff. Despite all that, or maybe because of it, he became one of the Six Great Generals of the Scarlet Moon Empire, a captain of the Ebony Moon Nights, and a Falenan Queen's Knight.

*SPOILERS FOR SUIKODEN V*
Then, of course, Ferid called in his life debt, and Georg winds up having to kill his liegelady/best friend's wife, who was not evil -- just a slave to the Sun Rune -- so that she won't kill thousands of other people. Even though he acted exactly as Ferid and Arshtat wanted and saved countless lives, he was very clearly beating himself up for what he did. Again, the burden is guilt. Also, no matter how much he feels that people's opinions don't matter as long as he follows his conscience, no human could be completely numb to being labled "traitor" and "murderer" by millions of people.

And suddenly a man who was once so respected and trusted by so many people in several countries is just a wandering swordsman. Clearly, he had wanderlust before the incident at the Sun Palace, but it's really hard to hold a high-ranking position anywhere after being accused of regicide. He disappears for over a decade, resurfaces to play a minor role in the Dunan Unification War, and then disappears again. A good reward for keeping a promise and making a horrible decision that saved an entire nation, huh?

--Whew! That was a long one!
Sealot

56962 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luc's fate must have been one of the most tragic, but following him through all that and not able to do anything to save the man you love... The pain inside her must have been awful.. In the end dying with Luc on her arms, not leaving him even when facing the death. Sarah is the most tragic character in my opinion.
SoulEaterRune_Tir

The True Runes

200579 Potch
68 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm I think the few most tragics are Ted(died from protecting his friends),Viktor(lost his whole country to a demonic vampire),Tir(Lost Ted,Teo and cannot care about anyone because of the rune),Lazlo(was lost from his family and suffers the Rune of Punishment,and even though he had his family,he lost his mother),Helmut(he joined the 108 stars so unrealistically it's so tragic)and not to forget,the royal family from Suiko 5(the sun rune) and I almost forgot Pilika,she lost her whole country just like Viktor. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: it's sad...
chaco

Chacos Regiment

45276 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Odessa Silverberg, she is the best I mean she had great stats and was a wonderful character, I know a lot now about her backstory and she had a pretty tough life, she set everything up so the Liberation army could win and clearly had the silverberg gene, she just made the mistake of trusting Sanchez.
The reason I refer to her as trajic is because she pretty much had to die in order for the Liberation Army to have Tir at it's lead which I'm sure she figured would be best for the army, since she felt she was to naieve or that the army needed to be lead by a "man" or someone who wouldn't put emotion before leadership. I guess Tir did this to.
Another thing that made her death trajic was when she had to have her body tossed into a river in order to keep the army together, which was sad because she deserved a better memorial.

Chacos Regiment

45276 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Odessa Silverberg, she is the best I mean she had great stats and was a wonderful character, I know a lot now about her backstory and she had a pretty tough life, she set everything up so the Liberation army could win and clearly had the silverberg gene, she just made the mistake of trusting Sanchez.
The reason I refer to her as trajic is because she pretty much had to die in order for the Liberation Army to have Tir at it's lead which I'm sure she figured would be best for the army, since she felt she was to naieve or that the army needed to be lead by a "man" or someone who wouldn't put emotion before leadership. I guess Tir did this to.
Another thing that made her death trajic was when she had to have her body tossed into a river in order to keep the army together, which was sad because she deserved a better memorial.

Chacos Regiment

45276 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

Liangshan

1368 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are a few contenders to the most tragic character
race. Riou is tragic because he was betrayed by his country he
so wanted to serve, and then beyond that they had to go and soil is
name. witch is in part a part of there betrayal. He spends the next part of the game pulled between the country of his birth and what he believes is right. Jowy is in a way tragic because it seems his father didn't want him and then he and his friend Riou had conflicting views of the war. Not to mention all that he went through was in vain because he lost in the end. he had he leave his wife and he had to live with the same of defeat. Him and Riou both had tragic stories that seemed to feed of the others miseries as well.

Genkaku was a tragic character. had to fight his own friend mainly due to
the runes him and his friend were in possession of at the time. then to be betrayed by his country and treated as a betrayer. only after he left for a long while did the truth come out, and by then the damage was done. he died before he got to see the two great nations who both shuned him become one under his sons guidence and that is tragic in a way.

Luca Blights childhood was tragic, the rest of his life was completely his
fault. ho watch what happened to his mother and to see his father raise no hand is enough to tramatize a child. but killing thousands of innocent people makes him no better than the bandits that took him and his mother. in fact it makes him worse. so Luca before suikoden 2 was tragic. Luca in suikoden 2 is a monster that deserved to die. his death on the other hand was quit poetic in a way. to be so strong he need hunderds to kill him was astounding and awesome in a way. it made him less human and more of a demon. i think the death was almost tragic because he had no regret at the end just evil words and a wicked laugh.

i don,t know pecks story but his death was very tragic. he tried to warn the soldiers to run. bu they didn't and he ended up dieing with them. by the looks of him it seemed he had a tragic past. he was mutated in a way and i know it had to do with the fun of punishment. i bet his story is so tragic is one you hear of in a song.

Tir is a tragic character and i dont believe i have to explain why. mainly because there is to much about him that is tragic to write down ill just say that no man should have all the people he loves ripped away by a rune he cant control, but i trust that most of you don't need it written down anyway.

there are many tragic stories in the suikoden world do it is hard to
actually pic one that is most tragic of all the suikodens. mainly because what seems bad to one doesn't seem so bad to another. but the people who i wrote about above are all my picks. i as many cant pic one.

and if anyone can tell me Pecks story i would love to hear it if not on this board then in a personal message. thanks

-IT IS THAT WHICH MAKES US DIFFERENT THAT BRINGS US TOGETHER.-
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha! Just looking at your signature, Song Jiang, Ridley must have been damn good with a blade to have led a kobold battle unit with only a dagger! :*laugh*:

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: